Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have mentioned before my Ruger all-weather 260. They never made a SS in 260 with a laminate stock, and that is what I really, really wanted. So I sent it back to the factory for a retrofit laminate stock.

The bad news was that they would not work on the rifle until they had replaced the trigger, sear, and safety which I had paid a gunsmith good money to tune for me.

The good news is that they replaced my altered components with the new trigger from the Hawkeye.

I just got the rifle back from the 'smith after having the new trigger tuned. SWEEEET

It is, in all respects, superior to the MK II trigger after it was worked on. Whether that is due to a different rifle smith doing the work, or due to different components I'd not hazard a guess.

The new Savage accu-trigger is recognized as a marvel of modern engineering. Most would admit that it breaks like a sliver of glass.

The accu-trigger ain't got nothin' on this Ruger now. We set them both up side by side and my pard and I both gave the edge to my Ruger. And the Ruger has no funny paddle sticking out the front of the trigger.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the hawkeye has a much much much better trigger than the MKII!

glad they hooked you up!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think it's a crapshoot.
My Hawkeye trigger was horrible!
I tried to cut a coil off the trigger spring,and butchered it some.
My smith replaced the spring with a lighter on of the same length,and it's now a dream.
Glad you got a good one from the git-go.
Mike

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How much do those Hawkeytes weigh?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Greg, according to their specs about 7 1/4 lbs. But the couple I handled SEEMED lighter, I think because of the trim stock and nice handeling qualities.

Already looking for a replacement .260 aren't ya? Grin....

Bill

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its about time Ruger pulled their heads out of their butts... Now they just need to rework that safety lever so humans can manipulate it, and grind that reciever down some (it could easily give up 1/2 pound of baby fat.)

The lines on the stock were a significant improvement over the earlier MKII's

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Idaho SS,

I bought two of those stainless Ruger 77 Mk 2's in 260 Rem...when they were peddling them with the boat paddle stocks..

one got a regular laminate stock from another Ruger, and then I picked up two Boyd's laminate stocks .. one for one of the 260s and then one for the rifle I swipped the stock off of to go to the other Ruger...

one is in grey laminate, and the other is in the brown Ruger Factory laminate..

I also picked up a couple of Hogue Rubber Stocks I use on my short action Rugers when the need arises..

Here is one of those two Boyd's Grey Laminate stocks, this one mounted on a 22.250:

[Linked Image]

Here is a thumbhole I got off of them, that was mounted on a Short Action Ruger in 223... this one is a Forest Camo Laminate.. that color cost extra ( about $70.00 more)..This stock ended up going to a buddy in Montana, and mounted on a 243 Stainless.. his favorite deer rifle...

[Linked Image]

None were that hard to refinish...

on ALL of my Rugers, I ended up doing a trigger job on them myself... which takes a guy who is all thumbs, about an hour to complete...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I just got the rifle back from the 'smith after having the new trigger tuned. SWEEEET

Idaho Shooter,

What does your gunsmith do with these triggers?...thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I really can not answer that, as we did not discuss the particulars. He mentioned a home made jig for grinding. So I assume he altered the contact surfaces as well as either shortening the spring or installing an after market spring to lighten the trigger pull.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I really can not answer that, as we did not discuss the particulars. He mentioned a home made jig for grinding. So I assume he altered the contact surfaces as well as either shortening the spring or installing an after market spring to lighten the trigger pull.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it would be something like that based examining the design of the trigger.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.