Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Floridabigfish
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have pictures of him and Generalisimo Franco in my office...jorge

they are most likely sharing a common area currently......
I tend to forgive Franco. Most of his "victims" were communist mass murderers anyway.

the old 'Hawkeye waffle' again, eh? Killing is ok with you as long as those being killed are folks you don't like?

Sam......

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I tend to forgive Franco. Most of his "victims" were communist mass murderers anyway.

Si. Or sanctimonious, romantic American and English lefties, dying for the Comintern. While Stalin chuckled.

Both personal heroes of mine for the reasons stated above. If anything, they should be reserved a nice cloud up in heaven as they both sent plenty of commies to their fiery hell. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I talked to my Brother about this today. He spent 30 years in the Navy JAG, and was highly placed.
He says he was not surprised by the ruling, and that he expected it to come down just about the way it was worded.
He knew well, the lawyers that first drew up the Gitmo rules, and I believe he had some input himself, based on his knowledge base and his experience.
He says that the lawyers that advised Bush, and drew up the ground rules, were sailing in uncharted waters, from a Constitutional standpoint, and wanted to do things that had really never been done before, or certainly were not vetted by previous court decisions.
Your brother is a man who has his head on right, my friend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I talked to my Brother about this today. He spent 30 years in the Navy JAG, and was highly placed.
He says he was not surprised by the ruling, and that he expected it to come down just about the way it was worded.
He knew well, the lawyers that first drew up the Gitmo rules, and I believe he had some input himself, based on his knowledge base and his experience.
He says that the lawyers that advised Bush, and drew up the ground rules, were sailing in uncharted waters, from a Constitutional standpoint, and wanted to do things that had really never been done before, or certainly were not vetted by previous court decisions.

Sam, Steve provided the link to Scalia'a dissent. When you get a chance read it......it pretty much blisters the decision today.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
the old 'Hawkeye waffle' again, eh? Killing is ok with you as long as those being killed are folks you don't like?
I would cheer on a grizzly bear if it were tearing limb from limb someone I was sure was either a communist mass murderer or an Islamic terrorist, but I will not cheer on the United States government if it does the very same thing, and this (since I am an American) for my own safety's sake.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Wrong. The Eisenberger case set the precedent. Not sure about the spelling, but I heaerd it mentioned on the radio today. Maybe one of our attorneys can weigh in on it. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A 5-4 decision that is split between liberal/conservative judges and finding myself agreeing with the liberal side of that decision would cause me concern......I wouldn't be happy about being correct, temporary as it may be.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stan V
A 5-4 decision that is split between liberal/conservative judges and finding myself agreeing with the liberal side of that decision would cause me concern......I wouldn't be happy about being correct, temporary as it may be.
In this I am in the company of Judge Andrew Napolitano. Is he a liberal too?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The case decided today dealt with Congress's second attempt to draw up due process rules for the detainees. It is uncharted territory, because nobody has ever given such people ANY due process rights before. Congress, and the Supremes, are making it up as they go.

No nation in a war against irregular forces has ever done anything like this.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is he a supreme?

IOW...who cares?

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No, but he's kind of a quack on this issue. I argued it with him for about an hour and it was like talking to Bristoe. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The case decided today dealt with Congress's second attempt to draw up due process rules for the detainees. It is uncharted territory, because nobody has ever given such people ANY due process rights before. Congress, and the Supremes, are making it up as they go.

You have that exactly backwards, Steve. Congress essentially rubber stamped the president's actions, which were themselves lawless and unprecedented. The Supreme Court just said no deal to both the President and his rubber stamp Congress.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No, but he's kind of a quack on this issue. I argued it with him for about an hour and it was like talking to Bristoe. wink
Naturally you ID him as a quack, because he's an old-style conservative, and not a neocon like you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buehler?, Buehler?, I mean Eisenberger?, Eisenberger? jorge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, the vote wound up 6-4?

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yes, Hawkeye, the TV judge is a liberal. He is certainly not an old style conservative.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 06/12/08.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You have that exactly backwards, Steve. Congress essentially rubber stamped the president's actions, which were themselves lawless and unprecedented. The Supreme Court just said no deal to both the President and his rubber stamp Congress.

Well, no, both the AG and congressional staff lawyers helped draft this version, in response to the Supreme Court's last ruling. And it is completely "res nova"....unless you think...and maybe you do.....that these guys have the full set of rights of criminal suspects. In which case, bring on the CSI, Miranda cards, free lawyers, exclusionary rule, etc etc. BTW, since nobody had any US search warrants over there, I guess none of the physical evidence is admissible either, huh?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Is he a supreme?
He would be if I were president.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd let him pick an Italian restaurant for me in NYC or Jersey.

But not the Supremes. wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
yes, Hawkeye, the TV judge is a liberal. He is certainly not an old style conservative.
Just because the neocons are "agin ya," don't make ya a liberal, my friend. Not by a long shot. In fact, most people the neocons are against nowadays are old school conservatives like the good judge.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.