Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's impressive, especially coming from a Ruger! I never could get mine to shoot better than 1" 5-shot groups (7mm-08) and the best bullet I shot was the 168 MKs. I killed a lot of coyotes with the 110 TnT. This was in the day that 284 brass was so horrible and that's why I didn't go that route.

I am still waiting on my action for my 6.5-284, but am somewhat tempted to do a 6.5-06 imp. I guess I can use Lapua 270 brass and have some good components and it's good for an extra 100 fps over the 284 case...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dennis,

Thanks for the kind comment. It is actually a M77 tang safety Ruger hybrid. As I mentioned it has a Rem barrel. It doesn't even have Ruger rings. It has the super lightweight S & K rings, which BTW are discontinued. The only thing Ruger is the action mag box, and floorplate assembly.

I have three M77 tang safety hybrids and they all shoot. I feel very fortunate to have a good gunsmith with Joe Reid at Lawson's here in Tucson. He is the reason those Rugers shoot.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
David Van Horne in Gilbert had someone cast him some replacement pieces for the floor-plate hinge part that has the guard screw through it. Instead of being angled, it is strait. He taps a new hole into the receiver and pulls it straight down instead of in on an angle. The angled received bedding are quite sensitive to torque on the guard screw. I guess he figures he knows more about this than the Ruger engineers and gets them to shoot better this way. I haven't tried it myself, so can't comment. I have a new Ruger Hawkeye but haven't taken it out of the stock so can't comment on whether they are the same or not. I thought Ruger barrels were pretty good so it surprises me that just changing barrels makes all the difference!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rugers angled bedding is a disaster IMHO. Works good when it works but has been way to finicky.. Ruger has always been borderline with me. Plus being antigun, some of what they came up with was stupendous, some stupid and beyond....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Based on my experiences with the older M77 tang safety Rugers many were not that accurate. I bought a new 6 mm rem and it was terrible, would only shoot the 100 gr semi roundnose Sierra . The worst was a 7 x 57 that had a ton of freebore. IMO both had chambering issues. As for other Rugers shooting I would say that shot okay but not great. I know Ruger didn't make their barrels in the beginning, have read many stories here about inaccurate guns.

The only reason I have rem takeoffs or Liljas on my Rugers is that I found all but one used. I do have two out of three Rugers bedded, the 284 is just sitting in the Mickey stock. I just don't buy new rifles that often. Lawson's has good reamers and a talented gunsmith, I feel it made the difference. All I know is the rebarreled rifles really shoot.

I have never experienced any problems with the angled front action screw. It is harder to bed. I suppose I am not very scientific, I torque down the front and back action screws as hard as I can with one hand.

Rost495, right after I posted I saw your post...what do you mean by Ruger being anti gun? Sounds like a strange statement for a company that makes firearms.

Last edited by Azshooter; 06/20/08.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the 270 still isn't the total long range answer, the berger bullets out in .277 still aren't that high a BC, berger admitted they held back a bit on the profile of the bullet. the .284 and .264 bores still have a sizeable advantage IMO for really long range I am talking beyond 500 yards. if you wanna wack something way out there try a 140 berger from a 264 win mag at 3200 fps, thatall getter done.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Azshooter,

Bill Ruger was a featured attraction at the Congressional hearings wherein they debated whether we civvies should be "allowed" to have semi-auto firearms... and hi-cap magazines. This must have been... early 90's?

Mr. Ruger had a positively Zumbo-esque comment at the time, to the effect that "no law abiding citizen needs more than a 10-round magazine". That pissed some people off as you might imagine.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Azshooter,

Bill Ruger was a featured attraction at the Congressional hearings wherein they debated whether we civvies should be "allowed" to have semi-auto firearms... and hi-cap magazines. This must have been... early 90's?

Mr. Ruger had a positively Zumbo-esque comment at the time, to the effect that "no law abiding citizen needs more than a 10-round magazine". That pissed some people off as you might imagine.

-jeff

Yep never bought another ruger after that.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.