Hop To
Page 2 of 40 1 2 3 4 39 40
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I love that wood on that gun. I have to admit, I don't own a rabbit ear'ed gun, but have alway had a deep love for them.

12.5 lbs...wow, that is a little heavier than I would want to tote all day...

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Wow!!! Those are some beautiful scatter-guns.... smile

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went back to the safe, here is another beautiful original English hammergun. It is made in Birmingham by Hume, an early side lever, damascus shotgun. The engraving is very nicely done with about 60% coverage, with nice fences, reminicent of the carry-over from the earlier percussion era.

It has 2 1/2 inch chambers, rebounding hammers and very nice sidelocks. It is hard to find good guns like this that are as old as this.

Half the fun is owning these, the other half is shooting them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Humebottom.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy

Part of it's the lighting, but mainly it's my mistake. blush I had put it into the barrel to amonia fume when I got a call which took me out of town right pronto. I forgot to take it out of the barrel and no amount of time with the butt would make them match.
Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of a process of 'amonia fuming'.. What does that do??

I love that checkering pattern on your SKB. I've considered something similar to that on my A5 but as dificult as that stuff is to chisel, it might be a nightmare to checker.

Do you do your own checkering?? That is a true art. I know my own limitations and that's certainly one of 'em.. If you want to do something like that, print the pix and send the stock and pix to Sherry Abraham. I'm betting she can do a job like that..

Those old english shotguns are pure art.. Some day I need to take a couple of hours and make a trip to Duluth, MN and visit 'Pug's Guns'... He's got a high-end collectors shop in a kinda seedy, non-descript area of the city and specializes in big-bux European shotguns.. You'd never know it by looking at the storefront.. Reminds me of the shops one would see in south Chicago or Iraq... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang yall, thems some gorgeous shotguns!!!! Phew, absolutely amazing!!!

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
IC B2

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Redneck
I am not a stock expert but I think the amonia bring out the color in the wood. I know stock makers also steam the wood to do the same type thing.
Cowboy (or anybody else)please correct me if I am wrong about this.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
sharpnel
you do have some very nice older shotguns, that is for sure. I have seen several nice older guns but as you said it is hard to find "clean" ones. Looks like you sure did....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pullit
Redneck
I am not a stock expert but I think the amonia bring out the color in the wood. I know stock makers also steam the wood to do the same type thing.

Really.... I love to learn something new every day..

The stock below belongs to my second most favorite shotgun; an SKB M800.These were built circa 1980 also.. A guy in Michigan put this up for sale about 5 years ago. I had not seen a M800 before and the condition and price were excellent so I bought it.. Long story short, I could see some faint, nearly black lines in the buttstock, so I removed the wood and finish ( I don't care for urethanes on my shotguns) and noticed that it had been stained with a darker stain that actually covered the grain.. I removed it all, had Sherry Abraham clean up the checkering and refinished it in satin tung oil..

IMHO, this wood is outstanding and should be shown, not hidden with stain..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Something about good wood that makes/breaks the firearm... laugh laugh

Last edited by Redneck; 06/24/08.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those Winnie M101's are nice firearms.. Good customer of mine probably has about 10 of 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Beretta 391 right now that need the same thing done to it that you did to your SKB. You can see some good figure in the wood but it does not show up thru the finish very well. If you turn it just right you can see it. Been thinking I would tackle that job one of these days, so far I have been thinking that about 3 yrs now.....

IC B3

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
You do have some good looking SKB's. I don't think I have ever seen any with the white grip caps before.
I really like the SKB 885 (I think thats the model number). It is the one with the side plates like your 880. I don't remember them (the 885's) having the white grip caps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's some very pretty wood on those shotgun's. The only thing that i have in a wood stock anymore is the wife's sweet sixteen and a Remy 1187 Upland Special.

Everything else is either black or camo. syn. bird/rabbit/turkey guns are synthetic, including Beretta 391 and Remy 1100's & 1187's. The places that i bird and rabbit hunt are rough and i worry about scratches and dings.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Beretta 391 for upland birds
[Linked Image]

Remington 870 Express 12ga. for turkey and waterfowl
[Linked Image]

H&R 20 ga. for a camp gun
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You do have some good looking SKB's. I don't think I have ever seen any with the white grip caps before.
I really like the SKB 885 (I think thats the model number). It is the one with the side plates like your 880. I don't remember them (the 885's) having the white grip caps.
I drooled over the 885s for years.. Never could quite afford one the few times I found one..

The 885 did have the side plates like the 880. To my limited recollection they did not have the white caps.. Only the 880 and 800 had those..

Well, 3 years is enough!! Get going on that refinish! You'll be glad you did when it's over.. The worst part is removing the old crap.. I'm lucky to have a commercial furniture finish stripping business fairly close.. I just send them the wood and it comes back in about a week or so, completely stripped and down to pure wood.. All for $30... Best money spent! I can't begin to do that myself for that kind of bux.. I'd lose my butt.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
shrapnel, sir; yesterday you made me green with envy. Now you've really piled it on, yer' killin' me. Pleeease, keep it up. laugh

That Hume is gorgeouse. Exactly the way a double gun should be built.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
lochsa
That is a great picture of the 391 and your dog. I see some tiger strip in that stock. Do you have a better photo that shows the entire stock. That photo was a little bit of a tease....grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Redneck
Cowboy (or anybody else)please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Right you are sir. Amonia fumming reacts with tanic acid in the wood and force ages it. Some woods, such as walnut and oak, contain tanic acid by nature. Maple, as is the case with my A5 stock, needs to have tanic acid introduced. I find it much cheaper to brew up a strong cup of black tea and slobber that on as part of my whiskering stages.

It's kinda' shocking the first time you use this process. You're nice high dollar stock set just turned a nasty yellow/brown mustard yuck color. But fear not, once the whisker is removed and the first coats of finish have been applied the nice rich honey colors will come through.

You gotta' watch walnut though, and I mean that literaly. The color shift may seem gradual for a while, fifteen minutes later you peek in and your wood could be nearly black.

As for stains, I'm with you guys. That stuff's for decks and window sills.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
pullit,

I have a couple other photos that are similar. The 391 has good figure in the wood but nothing fancy. If it is in the right light, the tiger stripes really show.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Here is my Franchi Alcione LF 12 guage with a Arizona quail slam...

[Linked Image]

My 870 express mag, my coyote shotgun!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went back into the safe and found a couple more nice looking shotguns. These are Winchester 101 Featherweight Pigeon Grades. They have 26 inch barrels and are vented between the barrels to help give the featherweight. One 12 gauge, the other is a 20 gauge.

There seem to be so many Browning shotguns out there, and I have always had a preference for the Winchester. These are not common, but are very nicely made and look good to boot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/100_1115.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/100_1121.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/100_1117.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 40 1 2 3 4 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
401 members (1lesfox, 222ND, 320090T, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,596
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.