NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 25 26 >
Topic Options
#2272114 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: Redneck]
SnowHunter Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: up a creek
Dang yall, thems some gorgeous shotguns!!!! Phew, absolutely amazing!!!

RV 728 BP
#2272117 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: Redneck]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Middle/West Tennessee
Redneck
I am not a stock expert but I think the amonia bring out the color in the wood. I know stock makers also steam the wood to do the same type thing.
Cowboy (or anybody else)please correct me if I am wrong about this.

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....

#2272121 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

sharpnel
you do have some very nice older shotguns, that is for sure. I have seen several nice older guns but as you said it is hard to find "clean" ones. Looks like you sure did....

#2272463 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: WI. - for now..
 Originally Posted By: pullit
Redneck
I am not a stock expert but I think the amonia bring out the color in the wood. I know stock makers also steam the wood to do the same type thing.

Really.... I love to learn something new every day..

The stock below belongs to my second most favorite shotgun; an SKB M800.These were built circa 1980 also.. A guy in Michigan put this up for sale about 5 years ago. I had not seen a M800 before and the condition and price were excellent so I bought it.. Long story short, I could see some faint, nearly black lines in the buttstock, so I removed the wood and finish ( I don't care for urethanes on my shotguns) and noticed that it had been stained with a darker stain that actually covered the grain.. I removed it all, had Sherry Abraham clean up the checkering and refinished it in satin tung oil..

IMHO, this wood is outstanding and should be shown, not hidden with stain..

Something about good wood that makes/breaks the firearm... \:D \:D

Edited by Redneck (06/24/08)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

#2272471 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Those Winnie M101's are nice firearms.. Good customer of mine probably has about 10 of 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

#2272498 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: Redneck]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

I have a Beretta 391 right now that need the same thing done to it that you did to your SKB. You can see some good figure in the wood but it does not show up thru the finish very well. If you turn it just right you can see it. Been thinking I would tackle that job one of these days, so far I have been thinking that about 3 yrs now.....

#2272510 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

You do have some good looking SKB's. I don't think I have ever seen any with the white grip caps before.
I really like the SKB 885 (I think thats the model number). It is the one with the side plates like your 880. I don't remember them (the 885's) having the white grip caps.

#2272565 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
hunter1960 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Middle Tennessee
There's some very pretty wood on those shotgun's. The only thing that i have in a wood stock anymore is the wife's sweet sixteen and a Remy 1187 Upland Special.

Everything else is either black or camo. syn. bird/rabbit/turkey guns are synthetic, including Beretta 391 and Remy 1100's & 1187's. The places that i bird and rabbit hunt are rough and i worry about scratches and dings.

#2272797 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: hunter1960]
lochsa Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Idaho

Beretta 391 for upland birds

Remington 870 Express 12ga. for turkey and waterfowl

H&R 20 ga. for a camp gun

#2272812 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

You do have some good looking SKB's. I don't think I have ever seen any with the white grip caps before.
I really like the SKB 885 (I think thats the model number). It is the one with the side plates like your 880. I don't remember them (the 885's) having the white grip caps.
I drooled over the 885s for years.. Never could quite afford one the few times I found one..

The 885 did have the side plates like the 880. To my limited recollection they did not have the white caps.. Only the 880 and 800 had those..

Well, 3 years is enough!! Get going on that refinish! You'll be glad you did when it's over.. The worst part is removing the old crap.. I'm lucky to have a commercial furniture finish stripping business fairly close.. I just send them the wood and it comes back in about a week or so, completely stripped and down to pure wood.. All for $30... Best money spent! I can't begin to do that myself for that kind of bux.. I'd lose my butt.. \:D

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

#2272857 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: shrapnel]
AsphaltCowboy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: small town Kansas
shrapnel, sir; yesterday you made me green with envy. Now you've really piled it on, yer' killin' me. Pleeease, keep it up. \:D

That Hume is gorgeouse. Exactly the way a double gun should be built.
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."

#2272894 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: AsphaltCowboy]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

lochsa
That is a great picture of the 391 and your dog. I see some tiger strip in that stock. Do you have a better photo that shows the entire stock. That photo was a little bit of a tease....

#2272898 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
AsphaltCowboy Offline
Campfire Regular

Redneck
Cowboy (or anybody else)please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Right you are sir. Amonia fumming reacts with tanic acid in the wood and force ages it. Some woods, such as walnut and oak, contain tanic acid by nature. Maple, as is the case with my A5 stock, needs to have tanic acid introduced. I find it much cheaper to brew up a strong cup of black tea and slobber that on as part of my whiskering stages.

It's kinda' shocking the first time you use this process. You're nice high dollar stock set just turned a nasty yellow/brown mustard yuck color. But fear not, once the whisker is removed and the first coats of finish have been applied the nice rich honey colors will come through.

You gotta' watch walnut though, and I mean that literaly. The color shift may seem gradual for a while, fifteen minutes later you peek in and your wood could be nearly black.

As for stains, I'm with you guys. That stuff's for decks and window sills.
for themselves."

#2272990 - 06/24/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: AsphaltCowboy]
lochsa Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Idaho
pullit,

I have a couple other photos that are similar. The 391 has good figure in the wood but nothing fancy. If it is in the right light, the tiger stripes really show.

#2273451 - 06/25/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: lochsa]
firstcoueswas80 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Arizona
Here is my Franchi Alcione LF 12 guage with a Arizona quail slam...

My 870 express mag, my coyote shotgun!

#2273596 - 06/25/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: firstcoueswas80]
shrapnel Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Bozeman, MT
I went back into the safe and found a couple more nice looking shotguns. These are Winchester 101 Featherweight Pigeon Grades. They have 26 inch barrels and are vented between the barrels to help give the featherweight. One 12 gauge, the other is a 20 gauge.

There seem to be so many Browning shotguns out there, and I have always had a preference for the Winchester. These are not common, but are very nicely made and look good to boot.

If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

#2273816 - 06/25/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: shrapnel]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Nice wood! I notice they're both straight stocks.. I've never been able to shoot one of those comfortably; my wrist just doesn't seem to wanna bend that much.. \:D

Very nice examples of Winchester shotguns..

AsphaltCowboy, I really appreciate the information you gave above.. I had absolutely NO knowledge of that process at all.. How do you do the actual fuming process? You mentioned a 'barrel'.. ???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

#2273870 - 06/25/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: shrapnel]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

those 101's sure are nice. Winchester could sure build a great shotgun that pointed great. Those are two of the cleanest I have ever seen.

#2273877 - 06/25/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

firstcoueswas80
how do you like the Franchi? Everybody I talked to say they kick but they look so good I have thought about buying one anyway....

#2275793 - 06/26/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: Redneck]
AsphaltCowboy Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: Redneck
AsphaltCowboy, I really appreciate the information you gave above.. I had absolutely NO knowledge of that process at all.. How do you do the actual fuming process? You mentioned a 'barrel'.. ???

It's so easy even a cave man could do it.

Be forewarned; once you fume, it CAN NOT be undone. Unlike stain which can be sanded out ammonia fuming is through and through. A four inch square of say maple will be the same color in it's center as it is on the outer surface.

The barrel I use is one of the cardboard dry chemical barrels that our plastic colorant comes in at work. You could simply use a large trash bag, but I always worry about the ammonia gettin' spilt so I use the barrel.

Of all the hardwoods I've no idea which contain tannic acid naturally other than walnut and oak. You won't need it for those. Maple for sure does not, and will need treated. I can't remember for sure about cherry.

Since a quart size tea bag is more convenient and cheaper than buying tannic acid I use those. Put the tea bag in a standard 12oz coffee mug, fill 3/4 or so with water and nuke it in the micro-wave to brew and then let cool.

You can put this on naked wood at any time, but I wait until I'm ready to whisker the stock and use the tea for my first whisker. Just slobber it on and let the stock dry, you can whisker or not afterwards, your choice.

Now for the ammonia and be careful with that stuff, it can strangle ya', best done in a well ventilated area or better yet outside. Half a cup is more than plenty. Put a small dish of some sort in the bottom of the barrel over at the edge where you wont bump it with the stock and pour a bit of ammonia into it. Next place your stock in and cover the barrel. If you use a bag just tie the top shut or clip with a large enough cloths pin or something.

Some woods will react faster and get darker than others, depends on how hard and dense it is. Each individual piece of wood is different. Harder=slower not as dark, softer=faster and darker (this applies to blond woods like maple, walnuts can actually turn black). For a one piece stock of rock maple I just put it in and forget it, Two piece sets can get tricky, unless you specifically requested it you seldom get a forearm blank which was cut from the same area of the wood slab. Even a piece from the same tree may react differently. For these I recommend a simple egg timer. The butt usually is the hardest, so fume it first. Check frequently and when it looks dark enough remove it. The process stops almost immediately. Here is where you really need the egg timer (and where I screwed the pooch with my A5). Set the timer in five minute intervals and check the progress. You can touch it, the ammonia won't harm your hands unless you're sensitive, so take it out and compare it to the butt. When the color starts getting close set the timer for shorter intervals until you get a match. The wood will take on a nasty yuck look on the surface, just ignore that it'll sand off when you do your whisker.

You've really got to watch walnut, too much time in the fumes and it can often turn black or near to it. You can also almost, get a faux ebony if you leave it overnight or longer.

I've had a lousy day so if I've confused you with any of this, let me know, I'll clear it up tomorrow when my head is where it belongs.
for themselves."

#2276115 - 06/26/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: AsphaltCowboy]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

I understand all of it but the tea.. What's the tea for in this process??

I can't wait to try this.... \:D

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

#2276229 - 06/26/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: Redneck]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

I'm not cowboy, but the tea is another way to bring out the color/contrast as opposed to using ammonia.

You might want to use the tea on walnut, or oak.

If I am wrong please tell me, but I think this is what he was saying.

#2276688 - 06/26/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: pullit]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Hmmm... Now, I wonder just who discovered this in the first place? \:D \:D

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

#2276844 - 06/26/08 Re: show us your shotguns [Re: Redneck]
pullit Offline
Campfire Guide

somebody most likely spilled some on a piece of wood and said "hey look at this".....

Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 25 26 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
226 registered (280shooter, 338WIN, 30Gibbs, 2ndwind, 257heaven, 224th, 26 invisible), 737 Guests and 274 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,506 Registered Members
72 Forums
693,026 Topics
10,014,015 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.