Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 40 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 39 40
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have three or four leaning around in the safe.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Super-X1!!! I have never owned one but would like to take one for a walk someday

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
F
F
Originally Posted by battue
Have three or four leaning around in the safe.

But do you enjoy using them? Not everyone does, but you have to admire the craftsmanship. They are well built machines.

I enjoy shooting mine. Carrying it for more than a short period, not so much.

Originally Posted by passport
Nice Super-X1!!! I have never owned one but would like to take one for a walk someday

Thanks!
Like I said above, they aren't for everyone. They are heavy, and not everyone likes a heavy shotgun. I had never shot a semi automatic (or any 'nice' shotguns) until I got the SX1, so I was really impressed with the lack of recoil and how easy it was to point.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, I did. Shot them for a few years. Originally in trap years ago and they were made for the game. Then sporting, however they took more than a little maintenance compared to what is out there today, and then parts became an issue when something broke. Which is why I have extras and contrary to what many say they will go down when used hard and I became tired of worrying about it. A crisp trigger never was on of there strong points.

No doubt heavy and your trap model is probably the heaviest. A field grad with 26in barrel isn't all that bad depending on what you are hunting. If I shot Skeet and did it for pure fun I could see me using one.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fishinpolejoe
Winchester Super-X1
This was handed down to me from my grandfather.
Any SX1 fans here?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I.m a Super X model 1 fan, I bought my first Super X skeet gun in 1980 for $265.00. I still have the gun,box and the receipt.

I have another skeet gun and a trap gun. I have owned many over the years.

Best Shotgun ever built and the easiest to clean.

Doc

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport

You need to fix that....your Remingtons will be for sale once you do. wink

Doc

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Docs comment on cleaning reminded me. If you are going to shoot a SuperX1 more than a little then a stainless steel magazine tube would be a wise investment.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Docs comment on cleaning reminded me. If you are going to shoot a SuperX1 more than a little then a stainless steel magazine tube would be a wise investment.

The Super X short stroke gas system ( as good as it is) does create more moisture on the mag tube than the Remington 1100 gas system. All mine Super X'do have the stainless mag tubes.

The Beretta 300/390/391 mag tubes are annodized aluminum and don't have the corrosion issues.

I DO NOT SHOOT ANY OF MY AUTO SHOTGUNS "DRY", a coating of Breakfree on the mag tube prevents carbon build-up and they run longer in-between cleanings. I also use axle grease on the action bars and and other parts showing blue wear ( where the blue is being worn off in the auto cycling process over time).

The Remington's show more gun blue wear than the Winchester Super X and almost none on the Beretta 390's.

Doc

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Best Shotgun ever built and the easiest to clean.

Doc

You need to try a Benelli M1 Super 90. There will be a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Not to mention cleaning is optional.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
F
F
No doubt heavy and your trap model is probably the heaviest. A field grad with 26in barrel isn't all that bad depending on what you are hunting.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever see one for sale. The SX1 is the only shotgun I've ever owned that made my shoulder sore from carrying it and not from shooting it.

The last turkey gun I had was a 870 Super Mag. I often regret selling it. There's nothing like 3.5" 12 gauge shells filled with nineteen 00 pellets to make you feel safe in the woods. I shot this gun quite a bit and never had an issue out of it.

[Linked Image]

Yes, that is a cheap ass red dot scope that came with the gun. That yellow colored thing below the magazine tube is a morel mushroom, my reason for being in the woods.

IC B3

F
F

I'll keep that in mind also. I've had it out twice for shooting hand thrown clays. Between patterning, clays, and hunting, I've put a little over two hundred rounds through it in two years. Not what I'd call excessive shooting. It is quite humid where I live though. Might be a good idea anyway.

I have replaced the buffer by the way. It didn't have one when I got it. I removed the trigger group and bolt as well so I could clean them and replace the cocking handle that I lost in the woods. I have yet to take it apart any further, but I'm sure the O rings will need some attention one day.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Forgot about the buffer. The originals get brittle with time.

A 26 in field SuperX 1 isn't exactly light for all day carrying, but not obnoxious either. Wouldn't be excited about carrying one all day at the ready for Ruffed Grouse, but have walked a good bit for Pheasants with one. They are great for pass shooting Doves and have used one for Geese years ago. Have also use one for spring Turkey.

I have one I have shot around 20,000 for clays. Replaced the buffer a couple times and the stock spring just for the heck of it. Have also lost a charging handle. Some are in there tight and some not so tight.

The trigger group does tend to get dirty with heavy use, more so than most modern autoloaders.

Last edited by battue; 06/19/14.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckster
[Linked Image]

American Arms 10 ga. O/U in it's natural habitat, the goose blind!

The goose blind, with maple syrup and a fire extinguisher?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
358, Very fine!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
358, Very fine!!!

DITTO!! Don't see the higher end Remingtons too often, let alone several of them. I saw a very high end one sell at auction a year or two ago that sold very reasonably and regret not bidding on it! In my opinion, the engraving was much better than many of the gun makers of the era, ie Parker.

Color me jealous!

Andrew
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
358, Very fine!!!

DITTO!! Don't see the higher end Remingtons too often, let alone several of them. I saw a very high end one sell at auction a year or two ago that sold very reasonably and regret not bidding on it! In my opinion, the engraving was much better than many of the gun makers of the era, ie Parker.

Color me jealous!

Thank you!

Joseph Loy, employed at Remington, did most of the engraving on the high grade Remingtons. You can instantly tell his work from the realistic looking critters that he did, which I love on any gun rather than just scroll. "Not too exciting" of engraving has kept me from buying a Parker.

Savage99F358

Last edited by Savage99F358; 07/04/14.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beautiful Remington SxSs; very under-rated doubles.

That single 28 is a gun that you just don't ever see. Most of the Remington singles that I've seen were more common guages and in TRULY wrecked condition, usually not all there. For some reason they often seem to have lost their forends.

Thanks for the images! Rare stuff.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's my modest collection, or should I say accumulation. thanks for looking.

[Linked Image]

A Remington Sportsman 12. Set up for fur calling.
[Linked Image]

My Dad's old Ithaca 37. Slick little pump. Shot most of my firsts with this gun.
[Linked Image]

Browning Sweet Sixteen 1952 vintage.
[Linked Image]

Lefever 12 gauge SxS, the Uncle Dan type. I really like the sidelock Lefevers.
[Linked Image]

Ithaca Lewis 10 gauge 2 7/8". It likes to swat ducks. The slip on is for length of pull rather than recoil.
[Linked Image]

Beretta 10 gauge SxS. Just picked this cannon up and can't wait to get to the goose field with it.
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_0589_zps5a7bd8f5.jpg[/img]

My target gun. A 32" Beretta White Wing Onyx 12 gauge.
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_0590_zps6d1c3abd.jpg[/img]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Those are some beautiful shooters.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Page 26 of 40 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
406 members (308Palma, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 17CalFan, 257man, 260madman, 42 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,233
Posts18,371,314
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.