Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
yeselk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Has anybody tried the Benjamin Discovery? I saw it in "Predator Extreme". It operates with compressed air from their 2000 psi hand pump or from CO2.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't tried it, or even personally seen it, but Pyramidair has a nice write up on it in their blog section. Looks interesting, I would like to try one some time.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Y
yeselk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
I saw that write up too. I just thought I would see if anyone had tried one. I don't want to be the guinea pig. :-)

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of the more prctical PCP guns out there. Most of the imported ones weigh much more.

Since Benjamin is the "keeper" of the Sheridan name, I am hoping they will bring them out in .20 also...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Y
yeselk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Anybody tried one yet?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I held one today at a gun shop. It was much lighter than it looks, or what I thought it was going to be. I have a blue streak, so I compared it to that. The rifle is well balanced. I am planning on getting one down the road. May have to wait for Santa to bring me one, but I plan on whacking yard and vegetable garden varmints with it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would really like to know how loud they are. PCP's in general have the reputation for sounding like a .22LR going off.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Probably loud enough for a neighbor to hear, unless you get a shroud for it from someone like mountainaircustomairguns.com then it should be mouse-fart quiet.

Last edited by BUTCHER45; 07/01/08.

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I have owned a .177 Discovery for about two months.

I have shot rimfires of ALL types seriously for the last 30 years.Let me tell you this...my Discovery -at it's LOUDEST- is more quiet than CB caps in a .22 rifle.

When shrouded it is about like an Aquila Colibri load(CB with no powder).

The gun with pump is a heck of a good deal.The gun is well built and ACCURATE- about as accurate as a good .22 rifle with hunting ammo at 50 yards.

.5" groups are easy at 25 yards and 1" groups are about the average at 50 if the wind is not blowing too badly.

Frankly, the Discovery is the most fun I have ever had with an air rifle and that is coming from someone who has owned Beeman R1, R10 and R7 rifles.

Last edited by jim62; 07/02/08.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Y
yeselk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
jim62
Thanks so much for the comments. I've been wanting one of these but wanted to hear from somebody that had one first. I'm thinking about getting the .22 cal.

If you don't mind, what't it like to pump up? Is this a pain or no big deal? What's the trigger like?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeselk.
First of all, hand pumping a Discovery is a bit of productive upper body exercise which I personally feel is something ALL OF US can use a bit of each day.. wink

Since the Discovery operates at about 2/3 the pressure of most PCP rifles(2,000 PSI vs 3,000 PSI for most high dollar Euro rifles) it is VERY reasonable to pump up.

Basically, it takes about 55 to 60 strokes of the pump to get from 1,000PSI to just under 2,000PSI(full).The first 50 strokes are about like a bicycle pump and anything after that is a bit harder but nothing a healthy adult(male or female) cannot do.One advantage to the handpump is the physical leverage you have since you can use a bit of your body weight on the down stroke.

When filled the tank is good for about 30-35 good shots.
Think about it...The Discovery takes about TWO pumps to get MORE velocity(900FPS in .177)per shot than a Benjamin/Sheridan, etc gets on TEN pumps.

Detractors of PCP rifles often bring up the whole "self sufficent" rifle thing as to the need for a separate pump to charge the rifle. To me, is a bit bogus as NO rifle (air or powder burner) is "self sufficient" ..you STILL need ammo to shoot it!

To me, in terms of convenient firepower, a fully pumped up Discovery with 35 pellets in your pocket is about like carrying a good rifle afield with about 35 cartridges in your pocket....

Last edited by jim62; 07/03/08.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
jim...have you had the chance to chronograph the rifle at all? These look very nice for the price and I was able to handle one last week at a large local shop... Just wish they would also make it in .20 so I don't have to add another caliber... I have .177 and .20 and just would rather stay with the .20 for hanting...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Y
yeselk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Jim62
Thanks for the info. I think I'll get a .22 cal.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have read that one guy's Disco shoot 14.3grainers accurately up to 875fps, but he has it set to 830fps to get a more efficient shot count. He's shooting around .85 inch, 50 yard groups with it. That's minute-of-squirrel right there!

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
RJM,

I don't have a chrono. I use the H.I.T.(holes in target) method to evaluate any rifle(powder or air).
Seriously, based on wood penetration and trajectory, my gun has got to be getting the advertised velocities in .177" Also, my shot count starting at about 1,800PSI and going down to 1,200PSI is about 25 shots in the "Sweet spot".
The sweet spot in terms of the # of consistent shots can be lengthened by installing a custom delrin HDD(Hammer Debouncing Device) which keeps to hammer from double tapping the valve if you will on a shot waisting air. Also, tweeking the hammer spring to a lower velocity setting seems to help a bit as well.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jim62, what about storage? Do you/can you leave air in the rifle for "long term" storage? I want to use it on yard and garden varmints, so it would be convenient to grab it and shoot it when needed.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sakoluvr,

That's one of the good things about the gun.On ANY gas gun, you want to keep at least SOME air or CO2 in the gun for storage.even pump guns should have a few pumps of air in them to keep the seals from shrinking.

As a far as a new PCP rifle goes, right out of the box either it holds air or it doesn't-period.If it has no problems holding air (99% of them are fine) then you will have no problems leave air in.The average "sweet spot" air pressure is from 1,800 to 1,200 PSI. The air assembly and valve seals will be fine.

I keep my Disco filled in the sweet spot with some hollow point pellets nearby on the back porch.The local Starling population hates it. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After picking one up and shouldering it, and hearing all the good reports, I have to get one! Why did you choose the .177?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I chose a .17 because of pellet selection and expense (in most type of pellets 17s are about 2/3 the cost of .22s.
The 17's shoot flatter and usually drift less in the wind.

The Discovery likes heavy for caliber pellets ,so a good .177" 10.5 g pellet , say a Crosman Premier heavy, A Beeman Kodiak or the Benjamin Discovery 10.5 HPs will do anything I need done with a pellet gun.

To limit over penetration, I use the Discovery HP pellets around the house on birds and such.Smacks the crap out of anything inside 40 yards.. grin

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was leaning toward the .22, but I will have to do a little more research now.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 7887mm08, 12 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,270
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.