Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

One of the more distinctive features on the Ruger No. 1 Sporter and Tropical models is the Alexander Henry forend. In fact, that rather odd forend has become something of a trademark for those models.

[Linked Image]

It�s certainly distinctive and cool, but I find myself wondering where that forend came from, what its history might be, what the original purpose was and who was Alexander Henry?

Do any of you rifle-history buffs have any of those answers? What�s the history of the Alexander Henry forend, what was it originally designed to do and why did Bill Ruger put it on some of the Ruger No. 1s?

I ask because I just purchased my first Ruger No. 1, a Medium Sporter in 9.3x74R. It�s a fascinating rifle, but I just know that someone is going to ask me about that curious forend.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Way way back, when Bill Ruger had just finished his first #1, he was leaning it up in the gun rack when old Alexander Henry, the janitor at the time, came through with his mop and bucket and knocked that rifle clean out of the rack. It came crashing down and put a chip in the forend. Bill kind of like they way it looked, so he kept it as a tribute to the now "late" Alexander. He sure did miss that janitor!
How do I know this is how it happened? Well, I was a consultant to Bill back in the day. I did it for free though, cause my day job was lining up hussies for JFK.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scottish gunmaker/gunsmith who often used that style forend. He was better known for his rifling, as in Martini-Henry.

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as280606/187.jpg

http://www.soldusa.com/detail.asp?id=2763&bigpic=0#img

Bruce

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The distinctive AH foreearm slots originally may have had utilitarian beginings; use with crossed shooting sticks on longer range shots in the field. Englsih and European stalking guns of the period were often used with the sticks.

I have never have heard of a Ruger #1A or #1S with the A-H stocks being used in that manner. The reason might be that best accuracy with #1s -- mine ast least -- comes with firm support nearer the receiver, than at the other end of the forearm.

Anyway, I personally prefer the longer heavier barreled B models w/o the AH stock. And, on my custom restocked #1 rifles I do away with both the beavertail and AH foreends in favor of a sleaker, more conteporary/classic, look. I have seen several very nice reductions of beavertail foreends by skilled amateeurs. They also make me wish Ruger's designers had not been so uniformly eclectic in their choices for the major #1 models.

1B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never could fall in love with the AH forend, and the standard forend (and buttstock, too) on No. 1s just seem so, well, excessive and out of place on what is supposed to be a sleek single shot. I've only owned one, and traded it largely because I found it too heavy and clunky for a 6mm deer rifle.

If they'd make a featherweight No. 1 with a slim classic pistol grip stock and trim forend, and lighten up the metal with a slimmer barrel, I bet they'd sell like hotcakes.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

I agree.

I have two custom stocked #3s, in 7mm BR and 6.5x55, that have trim straight (no pistol-grip) English style butt stocks and slim forends with a muted schnabel -- a bit like the Model 70 FTW XTRs. They have heavier barrels on them than you might like, but they still weigh in just over 7 lbs 4 oz with scopes.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 07/18/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That groove is so's you can rest the rifle between your toes when shooting a Creedmoor position.

[Linked Image]

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too have wondered about the function, but found the look displeasing. 1Minute

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad they offer both options. I love the Henry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aesthetically the groove never bothered me but it wouldn't break my heart to see it gone.

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
...If they'd make a featherweight No. 1 with a slim classic pistol grip stock and trim forend, and lighten up the metal with a slimmer barrel, I bet they'd sell like hotcakes.

+1 on that. I like the Number 1's but the B models always end up at 8 1/2 pounds scoped. Even my recent 1A 7X57 with scope weighed at least 7 1/2 pounds. Not heavy by any means, but a single shot just begs to be a slim little fast handler.

Make something that feels and handles like a Dakota Model 10 or Merkel at the Ruger price and they'd really have something.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
something that would go 7 pounds or a little under with a slim 26 inch tube, scoped, would be just the ticket. The Dakota was near perfect, but not at four large. A Ruger featherweight No. 1 at a grand would print money.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. tell you what. All those who do not like the Alex Henry forearm, send yours to me and I'll send you a "B" forearm as a replacement. I'm blessed with small hand and the "B" forearm feels like an ungainly club to me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, I don't like the big fat one either....in fact between the two I'd take the AH, even though it looks weird to my eye.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[If they'd make a featherweight No. 1 with a slim classic pistol grip stock and trim forend, and lighten up the metal with a slimmer barrel, I bet they'd sell like hotcakes.]

Ruger does, and they do. It's called the RSI, or International.

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah, the RSI is nice, but the 20 inch barrel and 7 pound weight without scope aren't what I'm looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alexander Hendry is kown for the type of rifling that bears his name - Henry rifling. I've seen it and handled it first-hand on a rifle that bore his name, but would not attempt to describe it in print. I could have owned that 450/400 rifle for $1500 but passed - one of those regretable decisions. I even called Ross Siefried to alert him of the availability of the rifle but was met with a response that was less than enthusiastic.

The single-shot, Farquarson-style rifle mentioned above indeed bore a forend similar to the AH/Ruger forend, but I haven't a clue as to it's utility other than what has been offered herein. I do appreciate it's looks though, and have owned several variants, including the two #1As I currently own in calibers 7x57 and 30-06. They are short, handy little carbines and very handsome, though they would likely benefit from some weight reduction measures, such as a receiver made of titanium.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI - That .30-06 RSI weighs 6lbs 4oz, bareback, on a baby scale.

It used to wear a 7.5oz 2.5X scope (that had 5.5" eye relief) in Ruger rings, coming in at an ounce over your critical mass of 7 lbs - but I decided to switch to a "no-batteries" IR scope, and mounted the 11oz Trijicon Safari - for a grand total of 7.5lbs, less sling, etc.

The best way to reduce a #1's weight further is to use a NECG peep ILO any scope - which is the way I went on one of my .45-70 #1-S'.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I also would consider a lightweight #1, but not the RSI type.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rangr44
FYI - That .30-06 RSI weighs 6lbs 4oz, bareback, on a baby scale.

It used to wear a 7.5oz 2.5X scope (that had 5.5" eye relief) in Ruger rings, coming in at an ounce over your critical mass of 7 lbs - but I decided to switch to a "no-batteries" IR scope, and mounted the 11oz Trijicon Safari - for a grand total of 7.5lbs, less sling, etc.

The best way to reduce a #1's weight further is to use a NECG peep ILO any scope - which is the way I went on one of my .45-70 #1-S'.

You msut have gotten one with a not-very-dense stock, since they catalog at 7, and of course they ususally lie on the light side. wink

I always thought that little peep was the perfect sight for the lightweight straight stock .45-70.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like all of the No. 1�s especially the 1A�s because of the Alexander Henry forend.
My stalking rifle is a No.1A, .257 Roberts and it weighs in at 8.5 pounds with scope and sling.
My beanfield rifle is a No.1B, .270 Weatherby and it weighs in at 10.25 pounds with scope and sling.
The recoil is almost nil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.