Print Thread
Hop To
B
Blong Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am getting ready to order a Double Dovetail base and rings. The Leupold set-up is about $13 bucks cheaper than the Burris. Outside of scratch protection for the scope, are there any advantages from the inserts on the Burris Signature series rings to make them worth the extra money? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would say no, aside from the scratch problem or possibly the tube dent problem. The scratch, if you get one can make 50-100 bucks in difference in resale price in high end scopes if you ever go to sell them. If going with the Leo's be sure to lap the bottom rings in, to at least prevent the dent. I really like the DD Burris, I have them on a few heavy kicking rifles with huge scopes with zero complaints.
Lock Stock and Barrel have about the best prices I have seen for matte 700LASA DD bases/Rings.

$15 and change for the bases $28 for the rings

Lock Stock and Barrel

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bruno's has the Burris Signature rings for $22.97 a pair.
http://www.brunoshooters.com./

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is another advantage to the Burris rings with inserts and that is the ability to use offset inserts to center your scope before using the scope's adjustments at all.

This allows the scope to be used for the fine adjustments and in essence use the "sweet spot" in your optics, which can be a big advantage when the base screw holes are drilled poorly.

Another advantage that will likely mean nothing to you is the ability to dial in some automatic elevation with the inserts so that turreted scopes can be more effectively used at long range.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The last two rifles I put together have Leupold DD bases and Burris insert rings. With the insert rings I don't need to lap the rings. One older 700 action needed to have the rear base shimmed quite a bit. That is easy to do with regular metal shims placed under the base but using the right + & - inserts accomplished the same thing and looks much better than the shims would.

I liked the looks of the Leupold basses better and that's the only reason I used them insted of the Burris. These rifles are a 270 in a Mountian rifle stock with a Leupold 4 X 12 and a 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold 6.5 X 20. So far I have been very happy with that mounting system and plan to continue using it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sitka's correct about the offset ring inserts. I just mounted up a scope using Leupold DD bases and Burris rings. I put a +.010 offset on the rear ring to equal about 10MOA (per Burris) elevation, so I can use more of my scope's elevation adjustment.

Although I haven't been that impressed with Burris' rings and bases in the past, I think the Leupold DD base/Burris sig ring marriage is a good one. And Burris will gladly repair or replace anything that they initially screwed up (another story for another thread).

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Blong Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So the Burris double dovetail rings will work with the Leupold double dovetail base? Sorry about the dumb question, but I have a gift certificate to a store that carries the Burris rings but only carries the Leupold bases (and I just want to make sure before I buy them). Thanks!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah, you can mix and match the rings and bases. I have two rifles with Leupold DD bases and Burris Sig. DD rings.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ditto

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

621 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,326
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.