Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Guy's, I have been thinking about replacing a trigger in my remington 700. It is a custom gun that had the stock trigger re-worked. It shoots ok, but there is some creep that i wish was not there. The gunsmith that did the work is out of the gun business so I have been thinking about a new trigger. I have had timneys that have worked great, but have not had any others. what does everyone think?I am leaning towards the Shilen because I have had great luck with there barrels. I have heard great things about the jewels, but they are double the cost,....are they twice as good as the others?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've run them all cept Jewell. Shilen would be my first pick of the other 3.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by goodshot
Guy's, I have been thinking about replacing a trigger in my remington 700. It is a custom gun that had the stock trigger re-worked. It shoots ok, but there is some creep that i wish was not there. The gunsmith that did the work is out of the gun business so I have been thinking about a new trigger. I have had timneys that have worked great, but have not had any others. what does everyone think?I am leaning towards the Shilen because I have had great luck with there barrels. I have heard great things about the jewels, but they are double the cost,....are they twice as good as the others?

I have faced this question many times before myself, I have taken the more expensive road and I have taken the cheaper road.
I can tell you without any doubt in my mind that the Jewell is #1 , the Shilen is a good trigger, the Rifle basix can be a good trigger but they can vary from lot to lot in quality.
The Timney is a good up-grade for other action's. but for a Rem700 it is a down grade from a tuned stock trigger.
If some salesman talkes you into a Timney can I talk you into a Yacht 20 miles south of Phoenix. Sell it real cheap!!!!!!!!!
B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have the "old" M700, Neil Jones can do a tuneup on it that will knock you out for $75.

Neil Jones Custom Products

He is great guy.

My experience with "good" triggers is limited to tuned M700, Kimber, and Jewell, so that's all I can offer... that said, in my opinion (and I'm gonna get flambe'd for this!), the Jewell is not the way to go IF what you want is, say, a 2-lb hunting trigger. I have two Jewells and both have an annoying amount of movement before they let go, when set to that pull weight.

Where the Jewell's really shine is set to a pound or lower. The one currently living in my Sendero is set just under a pound. Bliss.

For a hunting trigger on a M700 I would pop those pins out and send the trigger group to Neil Jones. I've done it twice now and will be sending him my M7 trigger in the offseason. He does great work. He even made my BLR trigger acceptable, and if you want to get a sense of the man, ask your favorite gunsmith if they'll do a BLR trigger job, and watch them turn colors! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've Jewell,Timney,Shilen, and Rifle Basix. Tuned to say 1 1/4 pound range or over the biggest difference is the size/width of the trigger itself. Under that the Jewell.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have two Rifle Basix, and they are both creepy.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Jewell ALL THA WAY give Larry D Scott a call he has FREE shipping tell em OlePopapi refered ya!!!!!
http://www.varminthunters.com/greatscott/index.html

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have factory Rem,Rifle Basix and Jewell, Jewell is the clear winner,whether it is 3.5# or 1# nothing feels as crisp as a Jewell!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tried them all and I prefer Jewell.Rick.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ackleyfan,

The "break" on a Jewell is indeed in that glass rod category we all like to talk about, but the movement before the break is what keeps me from using the word "crisp" with them. Set to low enough pull weights I don't feel the movement as much (though it's easy to see); set higher it drives me batty.

I take it our experiences are different in that regard? I am still trying to sort out if I got (2) funky Jewell triggers, or if "crisp" means something different to me, than it does to others.

Absolutely NO offense intended; just on an info hunt here.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You should contact Jewell and talk to them about your problem. I have talked to Arnold Jewell, quite a character, and he was very responsive to my question, solved it over the phone.Rick.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I will second Neil Jones' work, I have been running one of his modified Rem triggers in a M700 for about 20 years in a hunting rifle (long enough ago that it was $25 IIRC). No change is pull or whatever over the years.

You could also go with one of the new Rem XMark Pro triggers. I bought a couple for $50.

http://www.remington.com/xmark/

I have also used Timney. I interviewed the Shilen folks on their trigger once, and I liked what they were doing (basically a modification of the M700 trigger). I have not had the reason to try a Jewell.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by goodshot

Duuude . . .

Get an Accutrigger.

Savages are the B-E-S-T.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Jeff, no offense taken,we have gone over this Issue before, not sure if there has been some changes between the old and new Jewells, but that creep should be able to be taken out, and I have never had to adjust mine so I'm no expert on how to get rid of it as mine was adjusted by someone at Jewell triggers when ordered,for the coin you gave it should be creep free. set it at 2 3/4# and don't watch it grin just concentrate on your target start squeezing,good things will happen!! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slam dunk 4 me Jewell all the way!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At that kind of pull, the Kimber or Neil-Jones'd M700 trigger works better for me as a 2-lb hunting trigger... I don't feel ANY movement, I just apply pressure until the sear breaks loose.

I have a buddy who has had (3) Jewell triggers, starting some years ago for the first one. Maybe 4 or 5 actually as he's had to send a couple back for rebuilds after piercing primers (they don't like that <g>). He reports considerable variability, with more movement (creep is just too strong a word) in the most recently bought one. That's post-adjustment movement.

I really want to be certain that I am not seen as bashing Jewells. I really, really like them set at a pound or so; they are amazing. My 30-06 and Sendero are currently set up that way. It's awesome.

But at 2.5 lbs... eh... not so much love from me <g>.

As far as adjusting them I don't want to get too far off on a tangent here, but you basically have 3 screws. The overtravel screw has no effect on the pull weight or creep that I can feel or see. That leaves sear engagment and pull weight. You HAVE to have enough sear engagement to be safe, and sear engagement is the one single adjustment that by itself, adds "creep". By the time I've taken the sear engagement where it needs to be, I've got the creep, and there's no screw that takes it out again!

By the way my sear engagement amount is considerably LESS than what the manual says is the minimum, or what Mr. Jewell's son said when I called them... I'm talking about the minimum amount to keep the firing pin cocked, plus a skootch more.

Anyway I'm NOT dogging on Jewell triggers, I'm just adding my little bit of experience with two relatively recent ones to the pile of info here. And three things are possible-

- I'm an idiot and can't adjust a Jewell trigger;

- I got TWO sub-par units;

- I am hyper-sensitive to trigger movement.

I suspect that it's the last one, that I'm particularly sensitive to trigger creep for whatever reasons, but who am I to say. Maybe it's the first one <G>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Doberooski, I forget- what pull weight do you run yours at?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
goodshot
I have Jewells on my five benchrest rifles.This might sound odd but,1.5 oz. actually feels "heavy" after awhile.I typically dont bother with a jewell on a hunting rifle.Overkill.I've used everything else and the skill of the gunsmith installing it has more to do with the feel,than the quality of the trigger itself.
That being said.Neil Jones is the man for a worked over 700.Hands down.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have you changed the springs that come with a Jewell to match your desired weight?Rick.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick,

They've got the heaviest of the springs in them... unless Jewell shipped them wrong or something.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.