-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps someone who knows Allen Day could contact him, welcome him back to post here, and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I almost always accepted Allen Days opine on most subjects, and enjoyed his posts, and we had horses in common also.

The only disagreement I had and we never discusse it was that I got the impression that he judged everything by how much it cost, but a lot of folks do that and in some cases it's right.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $2500 for the best plastic or laminated stocked custom rifle out there. They just don't cost that much to build and a half inch gun is a half inch gun. But a LOT of folks will challange me on that one! smile smile

There is nothing wrong with two folks like JJ and Allen disagreeing, it makes for stimulating conversation and interesting discussion as long as it's civil..

S
S
Not much to say that hasn't been said. I remember my first "run-in" with Allen was when I suggested that the new Hornady Light Magnum -'06 ammo was very near the performance of standard .300 Win Mag ammo. He had strong differences in opinion. I was right, but his point was that so could the .300 Winnie be uploaded. That wasn't my premise. It was a simple one: A .30-'06 owner could now have similar performance with a .300 Winnie owner. He did not like that premise, even though it was true.

Allen is a solid, good human being. Stubborn, opinionated based on facts from his realm of experience. He was a kind man to me on the phone the couple of times I spoke with him.
He was an essential poster and solid member of 24hourcampfire.
I don't know why he stopped posting: tired of the B.S., business or family time requirements, disease. I don't know, but I know that he is missed by me.
He lives just 20 minutes from me, but I do not feel I have the level of friendship that would make me feel right to contact him. Knowing Allen, he's been here...just not posting.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Esteem every man but none too highly.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ScottW
I was right, but his point was that so could the .300 Winnie be uploaded. That wasn't my premise. It was a simple one: A .30-'06 owner could now have similar performance with a .300 Winnie owner. He did not like that premise, even though it was true.

Just out of curiosity, can you post the ballistics for the Light Magnum? a 180gr 300 Win Mag out of a 2" barrel goes about 3100 give or take. What was the 06s and does Hornady still make it? I can't seem to find it. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hornaday Light Mag ammo has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Light-magnum-heavy-magnum/

Here's data on the '06 Superperformance 180's.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Sprg-180-gr-SST-Superformance/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ScottW
Not much to say that hasn't been said. I remember my first "run-in" with Allen was when I suggested that the new Hornady Light Magnum -'06 ammo was very near the performance of standard .300 Win Mag ammo. He had strong differences in opinion. I was right, but his point was that so could the .300 Winnie be uploaded. That wasn't my premise. It was a simple one: A .30-'06 owner could now have similar performance with a .300 Winnie owner. He did not like that premise, even though it was true.

Allen is a solid, good human being. Stubborn, opinionated based on facts from his realm of experience. He was a kind man to me on the phone the couple of times I spoke with him.
He was an essential poster and solid member of 24hourcampfire.
I don't know why he stopped posting: tired of the B.S., business or family time requirements, disease. I don't know, but I know that he is missed by me.
He lives just 20 minutes from me, but I do not feel I have the level of friendship that would make me feel right to contact him. Knowing Allen, he's been here...just not posting.

I wish he was still posting here, also.
He has some good solid advice, seems to me.
Wherever he is, I hope he is doing good.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a 180gr 300 Win Mag out of a 2" barrel goes about 3100 give or take.

That would be in a S&W Chief's Special .300 Win Mag? smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
oops. 24" smile Anyhow can the Light MAgs match that? Went to the link and it said:2820/3178 No way that's close to a 300. Guess Allen was right after all..

Now I see they stopped making them. Wonder why? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know, I know!
Jorge meant to type ( 2' ) barrel.
Which as we all know, equals 24".
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup I like the man also.Wish Mr.Day the best at whatever he is doing.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Ole Allen(GOOD MAN) was THE Guy that helped me out on my first custom build as to who were respectable builders and what not. Wished I had took his advice on who to go with, woulda saved me ALOT of money LOL...........he sent me a pm lining out EVERYTHING alot folk don't have to be nice and do such, but Allen did!. I miss his post as well.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's only cuzz he didn't know you would vote for Obama.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
He'd have shot him for that....jorge

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's only cuzz he didn't know you would vote for Obama.

Dang, Steelie- you beat me to it!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What?! Voted for the Imposter??!! Get a rope......

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I usually counter the enhanced 30-06 comparison to the 300s with they can enhance the 300 also, so that puts the arguement back to square one! The 300 wins again! smile

I can't stand hard headed, stubborn, opionated people! smile smile smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson
I usually counter the enhanced 30-06 comparison to the 300s with they can enhance the 300 also, so that puts the arguement back to square one! The 300 wins again! smile

I can't stand hard headed, stubborn, opionated people! smile smile smile

Does that make you the pot or the kettle? wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There can be a marked difference between what a man types on the internet and how one reads it.

Several folks can read the same paragraph and come away with several differing opinions of the intent of the poster.

It's one thing to read what is posted for precisely what is said and quite another to read it for attitude.

One must always be careful not to read what isn't written and assume demeanor.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Well I be darn he(Allen Day) JUST sent me a pm and said he STILL woulda helped me out on my first custom build LOL.......HMMM go figure. grin Thanks Allen!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.