Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Understood. My Apology.

Bringing his old threads to the top made me wonder...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thank you Brad. You are also someone whose experience I respect.

Best regards and I also apologize for any misunderstandings.

Happy New Year.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldcoyote
I miss his posts.

Not me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jds44
Allen had a ton of relevant experience there's no doubt about that, but he had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Yep. I don't have any respect for people such as that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allen had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

That's complete horsechit.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Allen had a ton of relevant experience there's no doubt about that, but he had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Well....he may have formed some pretty firm opinions ( who on here hasn't?). But at least they were based on having done a lot of hunting and shooting over the years in lots of places.You have to respect that.

He concluded that combination worked best for him...and about the only real squawk any of us have is that the rifles were expensive....but I doubt he had any more than 4 figures into any of those Echols rifles at the time.

Cripes you see guys on here whip through $2-$5k builds like they change their socks, searching for the "perfect" rifle and cartridge. Do that a few times you just paid for an Echols

My impression, based on what he posted here,and in phone conversations with him, was he had reached a stage where he was no longer "guessing" about anything.He had a clear understanding of what worked for him. Some people never reach that stage.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think that summed it pretty well Bob.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Allen had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Brad - I wrote that in 2008. I'm certainly not going to get in a debate about something written 6+ years ago and absolutely not about a good man that's passed on. I will say I've gone back and re-read Allen's posts more than once since he left us. That's not something I'd do for someone who's opinion I didn't respect.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
To anyone else quoting what I wrote 6+ years ago, when I would have been happy to debate with Allen, to now disparage a man that's passed on, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't. Thank you.

Jeremie

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Brad gets his cunny all twisted up on a guy for digging up an old thread, without knowing why, then calls you out on a post made 6 years ago.

You can't make this stuff up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Brad gets his cunny all twisted up on a guy for digging up an old thread, without knowing why, then calls you out on a post made 6 years ago.

You can't make this stuff up.

Originally Posted by Reloder28

Scott, you're too stupid and drunk (per usual) to realize I didn't dig it up... you can't make this stuff up. Go back one page.

Too funny...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Brad

Here you go Brad, since you are obviously so cum drunk at the moment. You didn't quote someone else quoting JDS comment. You cherry picked out JDS comment and commented on that. A comment made a LONG time ago.

Don't matter much, you can go back many years and feel free to quote me calling you a dumbphuck

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To anyone else quoting what I wrote 6+ years ago, when I would have been happy to debate with Allen, to now disparage a man that's passed on, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't. Thank you.

Jeremie

jds I never even looked at when you said it.It would not have occurred to me anyway.

I didn't consider your comment disparaging anyway.....just an expression of opinion.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/02/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I passed through Oregon just last week and thought long and hard about how much common sense Allen Day possessed. A great hunter and rational man. He is missed by many as we enter another New Year. Bless his family, rifles and wonderful words on the campfire.

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Below is a photo of Allen helping me with a blacktail I killed.

Those who know blacktail country know how nasty/steep it can be; this one was pretty ugly to extract, but we did it while laughing and jabbing each other in the butt the whole way out.

The shot was 300+ yards, but it took about three hours to get the buck down and uuupppp to the landing I shot from.

[Linked Image]

Allen took this photo of me and my buck.

[Linked Image]

We got back to town, butchered the buck and gave it to an old-time friend of ours ... a widow lady who shared our hunting camp for many years.

Allen, old friend, Rest In Peace ... I pray for your soul ever day.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I do miss my friend. He helped me out so much preparing for my Safaris. Even gave me a lovely WR cartridge belt holder that goes with me on every hunt to this day. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Steve, I just saw this after stumbling on this resurrected thread. Thanks for putting it up. I PMed AD quite regularly for some period in there before 2008.

While I couldn't really disagree with what he promoted, his dogmatism was what we disagreed on but that was minor in the scheme of things. He certainly had a passion that his words communicated clearly.

What was prima facie with him to me later after getting past the niceties was his faith in Jesus Christ as his savior.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Seeing this thread about my old hunting and gun buddy sure brought back some fine memories. AD and I made a couple hunts together and had more planned until his illness changed everything. I miss our weekly phone visits and numerous emails to discuss guns, cartridges, optics and hunting! He was a no BS guy and when he talked I listened because he was the real deal. I think I learned a lot more from him than he did from me, and I still miss him to this day. Never spent a day afield with a finer human being.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John55
Seeing this thread about my old hunting and gun buddy sure brought back some fine memories. AD and I made a couple hunts together and had more planned until his illness changed everything. I miss our weekly phone visits and numerous emails to discuss guns, cartridges, optics and hunting! He was a no BS guy and when he talked I listened because he was the real deal. I think I learned a lot more from him than he did from me, and I still miss him to this day. Never spent a day afield with a finer human being.

Coming from John that is high praise indeed.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Bob,
AD certainly knew his M70s and 1911s. He enjoyed using high quality examples of both and was very proficient with either one! I still remember him decking 2 Cape buffalo with his 300win mag over in TZ. You'd have to be good for a PH to allow that! When we were in S.E. Alaska on a bear hunt his chance came and he made short work of that with his 416. I think he'd have enjoyed messing with a 7MSM😉

Last edited by John55; 01/01/17.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 41 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.