Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by corporal cleg
Personally, I use 4 different knives processing the deer before butchering.
One to open the deer, and remove entrails. A second knife to cut around anus and deal with that nonsense- a third knife to remove tenderloins in the field, and a fourth for skinning. I do not like the one knife does all method, because I do not want to contaminate the venison with crap. Don't want to use the knife I cut around the anus with to take out the tenderloins, or skin the animal.
And I have a different set of knives all together when I take the deer to the butcher block.

I use 3, Foster to open and remove, Starling for skinning and an old Boker for cutting out the loins and other small tasty bits.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dave McCrosky of McCroskey Custom knives makes the best knives that I have had my hands on, and I have a drawer full of other custom and German knives.

He has about 5 models of which I have 3. What is uncanny about Dave's knives is the ability to hold an edge.

The first knife that I bought of his was the "Elk Skinner" smaller knife. I skinned 4 deer with it and it would still shave hair off your arm.

Dave is a world class guy to deal with and will sharpen the knife for you for free when it does get dull, and you will not believe just how much skinning you can do with it before it gets dull.

Dave is in Ok, at 877-256-4837

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have accrued quite a few hunting knives over the years. But I seem to keep going back to a couple of Buck 110 Folding Hunters...a lot of knife for the money, IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

These are the knives that have gotten the most use for me lately.
Top is a blade made by a friend of my sons, O2 if I remember right.
2nd is a Junior Smith knife. Notice the wide grind, the other side is a narrow grind. He calls this his right handed skinner.
3rd is a Buck folder, not sure what they call it, the blade is stamped 450 and a backwards C. Thick rubber handle feels very good in my hands. I've got a couple of these and they work well on deer.
Bottom is a 110 Bucklite. Good old dependable 110.

Then there is this one, kind of have a hard time using it, just looks too good. Ingram #1, S30V, Spalted Maple with embossed pins.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Have not put it to the test yet since I just finished it but the handles alone have put this one into a favorite list.

1/10" thick ATS134 with olivewood and stainless/natural micarta pins. Primary bevel at 18degrees, secondary bevel at 21degrees and finished with a 2000grit wet/dry paper and will cut hair without touching skin. Attempts to shave hair off the skin will filet the first layer of skin as well as the hair.

[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just can't get the Lasky to work for me. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. I just use the old fashion wet stone trick and it seems to work well. Maybe I just never got the right angle going on the blade or something.

I'll have to practice on an old one if I can find one laying around smile

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My results with the Lasky haven't been as good as mine with a wet stone, but I've been using one since grade school. The Lasky is easier to learn, and gives better results to some of my hunting buddies who never learned a wet stone.

The previous poster talked about 18 and 21 degrees, and I'm curious if he meant total or per side? What I do, and no it isn't the only thing that can give good results, is 25 degrees total with the coarse stone, and 30 degrees total with the edge. It seems a good balance between useful edge and edge life. What angle to the rest of you strive for?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The angles I mentioned are preset notches on an Edgepro Apex, Im pretty sure they represent the total. I will run different angles based on need but generally run a secondary edge on everything. Heavy choppers get 21/25 and are usually finished with a 220 grit stone, most hunting knives and pocket knives get 18/21 with either a 600 or 800grit, kitchen knives get 15/18 but they dont try chopping frozen chicken with edges that thin.

I will also vary the angle based on steel, brittle stuff usually gets a thicker edge while I will put S30V on a very fine edge to take advantage of its cutting and edge retention.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Love that knife! Those pins are unique; where can I get some?

Thanks,
GPA

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks, the pins are 1/4 stainless tubing with 5/32" natural micarta rod epoxied in. I get all my parts at Texas Knifemaking supply.

Here is another one with bolivian rosewood scales with black micarta rod inside the stainless tubes.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Awesome! I, too, deal with Texas Knife. Can you provide a stock # for those micarta rods?

Thanks,
GPA

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not recommending any of these, because I think the next knife will have more of a drop point look to it. I think my next will be home-made. Just a progression.
[Linked Image]
L to R:
1. Mora - pretty good steel bought in the 60's, from Fuller's Tackle shop, Park Rapids MN.
2. Buck given to me for a graduation present.
3. Buck given to me for a birthday present from my wife, purchased in Anchorage AK. It's my most used. I especially like the guard for safety.
4. Probably my favorite just because my daughter bought for me-just because- when touring in Italy- I guess it is from a famous knife making area.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Chicago Cutlery clip point folding knife - used the same one for about the last 30 years.

As to bone saw, if power is availible, a Porter-Cable 'Tiger Saw' or other reciprocating saw is great.

Grizzly

A day without gunfire is hardly worth living.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the folding knives with a blade lock. I prefer a drop point, any old brand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
For a while Buck and Cabelas marketed a knife with some type of coating, I think it was some type of nitrade that was applied to one side of the blade. As the knife was used the uncoated side would wear away and leave a sharp edge on the coated side. I never saw one and only recalled the info from the product description.
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

I bought one of these, it dulled.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope to spill a little sheep blood on this knife next week. Had it made by an up and coming knife maker that I met on another forum and it's a copy of George Herron's # 8 knife.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I hope to spill a little sheep blood on this knife next week. Had it made by an up and coming knife maker that I met on another forum and it's a copy of George Herron's # 8 knife.

[Linked Image]

I really like that knife, how about some details?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for the late reply, here's the info on this knife.

Model : Herron Style Hunter
Steel : 3/16" D2 @ 59-60 HRC
Construction : tapered tang, hollow ground blade (10" wheel) OAL : 8-3/4"
Blade length : 4-3/16"
Hardware : pinned & soldered 416 stainless guard & handle fasteners
Scales : wssi stabilized Carpathian elm with .030 red liner
Sheath : 8-9 oz. veg tanned leather sheath, hand sewn ; neatsfoot oil finish

This knife is even better looking than in the picture, I am seriously considering having another made for my wife for Christmas.

Steelhead

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
AkMtnHntr

You romantic devil, you. Funny thing, when I bought my wife a chain saw, she didn't appreciate it.....

A day without gunfire is hardly worth living.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL......yeah, I try!! I have to admit though, I am fortunate that I have a wife that craves sheep hunting just as much as I do. When our hunt got cancelled this year she was almost unbearable to live with, she told me that she had dreamed of this hunt since last year and not being able to go truely bummer her out big time. So i'll try and ease her pain a little with a new knife for next year......only problem is, I will probably end up having to cut up her sheep for her as she isn't to keen on the blood guts thing. At least I'll have a brand new knife to use if she should kill her ram. wink

Steelhead

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 78 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.