Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#2343569 - 07/31/08 02:41 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: corporal cleg]
Qtip Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Upstate New York land of taxes
For field dressing I use a Swiss Army (Victorinox) folding hunter. Has a great main blade, a gut hook, and a small saw. Sharp as a razor and takes and holds an edge very easily. For cutting up bambi I use my grandfather's butcher knives. Works for me.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

#2343632 - 07/31/08 03:16 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: northern_dave]
Reloader7RM Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NW La.
I clean 15-20 big game animals a year. That said, my requirements in a knife are: light weight, good steel that holds an edge, textured grip, a blade that's not too blunt, must fold for compact carry, and a descent price. The reason I say a descent price is that I can't tell you how many knives I've lost in the field or around camp(Always have a spare in the pack).

The answer to all of those requirements is BUCK. Bucks hold an edge, they come out of the box razor sharp, and they don't break the bank when you loose one.

I've used Boker, Kershaw, Gerber, S&W, Old Timer, Schrade, and a few others and none have held edges like the Bucks.

And no, you only need a knife to clean a deer. I can clean a deer in mere minutes with only a knife. All you have to do is hang them by the neck, ring each leg & the neck, slide a sharp knife up each leg to the center of the belly, slide knife under the hide from the rear quarters up to the neck ring along the center of the belly, pull off the hide, cut off the shoulders, cut out the back straps, cut off the neck meat, remove each ham(going to the socket with only a knife), and then gut(if you didn't field dress) and remove the sweet meat.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

#2343647 - 07/31/08 03:24 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: Reloader7RM]
WGM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Louisiana
The knife in this pic is purely a utility knife for skinning/deboning ... not the best, but not the worst by a very long shot ...

It's a Gerber fixed blade with gut hook. I can't say I like or dislike the gut hook, but it's really not a necessity ... Actually, I think I'd love this knife as well as anything else if it were simply a drop point with the same blade profile ...

#2343739 - 07/31/08 04:02 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: WGM]
High_Brass Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Parkersburg, WV
Field dressing (gutting) I like to use a an old Buck folder that I have that has around a 3" drop point blade. It's plenty long enough for the task and I like the drop point for gutting. I like that it folds as well as I can drop it into a plastic bag and put in my cargo pocket or back pack when I'm done with it. For field dressing deer, 3" is as long of a blade that I would personally want.

#2343745 - 07/31/08 04:05 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: corporal cleg]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Northern Florida
 Originally Posted By: corporal cleg
Personally, I use 4 different knives processing the deer before butchering.
One to open the dder, and remove entrails. A second knife to cut around anus and deal with that nonsense- a third knife to remove tenderloins in the field, and a fourth for skinning. I do not like the one knife does all method, because I do not want to contaminate the venison with crap. Dont want to use the knife I cut around the anus with to take out the tenderloins, or skin the animal.
And I have a different set of knives all together when I take the deer to the butcher block.
Interesting take. Never occurred to me, but it makes sense.
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#2343755 - 07/31/08 04:11 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: Reloader7RM]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Ok, but what about the neck? Do you take it with the spine or do you remove the meat and leave the spine. I ask because when I stew neck meat, it's with the bones, but I'm getting the impression that deer bones don't impart a good flavor to stews. Is that the case?
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#2343810 - 07/31/08 04:41 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
Jordan Smith Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
Yeah, you don't want the bones....

#2344334 - 07/31/08 09:46 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: Jordan Smith]
castandblast Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Central Oregon
I've been liking this set-up for a couple decades now. No whitetails with it but lots of other, bigger critters.

#2344363 - 07/31/08 10:07 PM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: castandblast]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: castandblast
I've been liking this set-up for a couple decades now. No whitetails with it but lots of other, bigger critters.

Very nice. Gerbers are great knives. I have one (a two and three quarter inch drop point lock blade) that I bought in the early 1980s. Been carrying that knife every day since then, literally. Light as a feather, and super strong. It's got a zytel handle. Blade is surgical stainless steel. Holds a great edge, and I can put a new razor sharp edge on it with just a few strokes on a whetstone. Still works perfectly after all these years.

#2344583 - 08/01/08 05:40 AM Re: What knife/knives are best for dressing out a whitetail deer? [Re: castandblast]
Mannlicher Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: N. Central Florida, and Miami
This is a Case "XX Changer", that I carry in my hunting pack sometimes, in my BOB all the time. My wife bought this for me as a Christmas present our first year together, so I have had it about 15 years now.
All the blades hold a great edge, its easy to shapen, and its just plain tight as a tick.

I named my Dog..........wait for it.........Muhammad laugh

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
580 registered (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1sgLunde, 72 invisible), 1205 Guests and 336 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633974 Topics
9094746 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS at CAMERA LAND!

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.