Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Does anyone have one or know where I could find one of these at a reasonable price?

[Linked Image]

If I need to put this in the Classifieds as a Want To Buy, let me know- I'm just looking for now and I thought you knife guys might be a good place to start.

Thanks for the help-
~bill

GB1

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great knife....perhaps my all-time favorite whitetail knife. I have three, all from Schrade's scrimshaw series: one for me and one for each of my grandsons.

This knife can be hard to find. I will be going to the Saratoga Gun Show next Sat. Last time there, I saw two.....If I find one this time, I will buy it. If you want it thereafter, we can make a deal. If you don't want it, I'll keep it. (I'm thinking price will be in the $75-80 range.) If I score one, I'll be back at you late Sat.

Good Luck,
GPA

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Wow! Thanks for the information, I had no idea they were that expensive. My dad had one that he wore all the time and used it everyday at work for awhile. He ended up breaking the blade on it somehow (that happens when you use a knife for a prybar, screwdriver, and paint can opener!) and I was thinking of replacing it for him for his birthday.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Since they went out of business, all Schrades have gone up in price. They have been replaced by Canal Street Cutlery (Schrade employees who formed a new company after the demise of the old Schrade). You could do a search to find out if they have continued this pattern. (Expect to pay more for a Canal Street than for a Schrade.)

Stay tuned: I'll let you know what I find next weekend.

For the record: Schrade produced two lines of knives: Old Timer (carbon steel blades) and Uncle Henry (stainless blades), along with a scrimshaw series and a heritage serious (maybe more, I'm not sure.). The Old Timers were the least expensive of the bunch. Your OT model might be hard to find. Expect to pay more for an Uncle Henry, scrimshaw or heritage model.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Go to www.eknifeworks.com Search for BR582. Knife by Bear & Sons might make a suitable replacement for the 1560OT.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
check out this site, also.http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Note: Schrade knives from Taylor are NOT made in the USA.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My small collection of Old Timer fixed blades. The 130T (Drop point) has been my favorite for almost 30 years. I've never been able to find another one for sale. The 1560T I searched for years for was given to be by a good friend in N.Y. who bought it as a factory second. I polished it a bit and am thouroughly satisfied with it. The 165 (big skinner) is a good 30+ years old and is a Walden N.Y. knife (before Schrade moved to Ellenville). Nothing fancy, dead plain usin' knives, but I like 'em.
CC
[Linked Image]

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bear� Invincible Skinner with India Stag Bone� Handle - Stainless $39.99

Now THAT is a very nice knife!

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
That's a good-lookin' set of knives Coastie- thanks for sharing! And I agree wholeheartedly about the Bear; that thing's purdy smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A meager collection, but I like 'em and use 'em.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
GPA, did they ever make a bone handled model?
[Linked Image]
I found this one on the internet claiming to be "a brand new,never carried,never sharpened bone handled , MADE IN THE U.S.A. SCHRADE.

This knife is rare and highly collectable."

It's listed however as a model SC590 which seems to be the scrimshaw series. I'm wondering if someone did some work to remove the scrimshaw details, and now the handle LOOKS like bone?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
~bill

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Are you sure that is bone? I carry one that looks like it, but it is not bone (phenolic resin, maybe?) I have two others in scrinshaw, saved for grandsons, and a staglon from the Schrade Heritage series.

Note: Mine...that looks just like the one pictured...was a "second", probably a reject for the scrimshaw series. It has proven to be an excellent knife in the field, particularly for dressing whitetails.

Your knife is a "great find". Hold onto it and use it in good health. I doubt any scrimshaw work was removed. Your knife just probably never made it to the carver's bench.

GPA

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
When it gets here, I will let you know for sure if it is bone. I will be really surprised if it is! I think your reject theory might be acurate- here is another quote from the seller-
"On the handle, near the blade guard is a hairline imperfection in the bone . This does not appear to be a crack and is not very noticable. It does not affect the integrity of the handle !!!!"
I was the only bidder on ebay- I think I stole it for $42 shipped wink

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep.....You stole it!

Another nice little old Schrade to keep an eye out for is the Uncle Henry BADGER (UH 164, I think). It is a neat little slimline 7 5/8" overall, with a slightly upswept 3 5/8" blade. Would remind you of typical trout/bird knives.

Reminder: Look for OLD Schrades.....the new ones are NOT made in the USA.

Good Hunting,
GPA

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This knife came in yesterday! I'm not an expert by any means, but it sure does look like bone. The scrimshaw knives look much more white and these have a yellow tint like bone as well as a "grainy" look and some imperfections. I took some pictures yesterday and I'll try to get them up soon. I can't find any information on the internet about these being made with bone handles, but they sure look like original hardware. If any of you guys know where I could find out more about the Schrades, I would be interested. Thanks for all of the help so far!

~bill

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]
Here is one of the pictures that I took next to a knife that a friend made with solid surface handles which I imagine to be closer to the color of the scrimshaw knives. I had a hard time getting a close up that really showed the color and texture without the flash washing everything out.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sure looks like bone, doesn't? You might try checking with the guys at Canal Street Cutlery (former Schrade employees) to see if Schrade ever used bone scales on that model. Whatever, you have a great knife.

Keep it sharp,
GPA

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Glad to see some old Schrades. Back when I could only afford to own a single deer rifle, I accumulated a nice collection of Schrade, Old Timer and Uncle Henry knives, along with several Camillus, Case and a few others.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hold onto those fine old knives; their value is going up steadily.

However.....should you eve decide to part with any....keep me in mind.

Keep 'em sharp,
GPA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.