Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Has anyone used this bullet at 7/08-7X57 velocities on game? I shot a couple into dry newspaper the other day and was amazed at how well it penetrated.
Thanks

Fred

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot and seen shot a fair amount of deer-sized stuff with the 139 Hornady -- and I can't imagine that adding 10% more bullet weight to the shank would be a bad thing grin.

You should use them; then report back with pictures. Just please don't have a two-fer... whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have used them in a 7mm Mag on deer,caribou and my buddy borrowed my rifle and my 154 gr interlocks and killed a 500lb black bear.They work amazingly well....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hit a whitetail doe at around 200 yds with a 154 gr Hornady. It was loaded in a 7x57 and travelling in the vicinity of 2600 fps.

It was an angleing shot that entered in the front shoulder and the bullet was recovered in the opposite hip. My friend that recovered the bullet while butchering the doe said it was a nice mushroom.

Broadside shots on other whitetail deer from zero to 225 yds fully penetrate the deer's body. I've used this load on 5 or six whitetails.

The 154's work well at moderate velocities....

Dan

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks- I am going to try to put them to good use this fall.
Fred

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I bought a bunch of them when Midway had them as seconds. I use them in a 7x57 at not quite 2800 fps and they work great. I had two one shot kills on deer with them last year and I expect to use them again this year.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a single 154 Spire Point in my .280 Ackley, loaded down to 2800 fps, to kill an Asian water buffalo a couple of years ago. Perfect double carotid artery hit and an exit hole in the far side of the neck of about one-inch.

A single well-placed bullet can do magic.

I've killed lots of deer and several elk with the Hornady 154-grain Spire Point Interlocked. It is a wonderful bullet in all possible ways.

In thinking back, I cannot remember ever having the need to shoot twice on any big game animal I've killed with a 154. Nor can I remember a critter struggling more than a few yards.

Heck of a bullet.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been using this one bullet in a FN Mauser 284 Win. for many years now. I have shot Antelope, Mule deer and Whitetails and some wild hogs out in central California with 154 over IMR 4350. It hovers around 2875 fps and has never let me down. I quit trying other bullets and powders years ago. Its the one bullet and powder combo that I know how much to hold over or what distance its going to hit dead on. I am sighted in at 300 yards dead on. I always pick up the FN when heading out west, someday will get an elk under my belt with it. Its no wonder .284 has so many different cartridges that use it. It is the one bullet that can do anything, if you do your part!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use it in my 280 & 1 of my 7x57. They work VERY well on deer. I have killed several deer with the round nose version loaded in a long throated #1.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A good friend of mine will use nothing else in 7mm Rem Mag. They have accounted for 10 Elk for him. I use them in my 7mm Rem Mag. and they shoot well not to mention kill deer very well.

The 139 and 154 Interlock Sp's like the .257" 100 grain one are fantastic bullets for accuracy and killing.

Last edited by Planemech; 08/06/08.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Heck of a bullet.

Friend Steve,

Is this another bullet that is of tougher construction than others in the line - like the 120 grain BT silhouette bullet? We "industry outsiders" need to know such things (please).

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Heck of a bullet.

Friend Steve,

Is this another bullet that is of tougher construction than others in the line - like the 120 grain BT silhouette bullet? We "industry outsiders" need to know such things (please).

-

Actually, I have no idea. I've just had excellent performance with the 154s for many years; even before they were "Interlocked" I was killing elk with them.

In .284" the Hornady 154-grain has always been my "heavy bullet." In this way, it is very much like the Hornady .308" 180-grain Spire Point Interlocked. Hey, it's a great bullet that simply kills stuff.

Speaking only for myself, 120-grain Ballistics and 139 Hornadys work splendidly on deer, antelope and elk. In my experience, the 140 Ballistic is a tad "soft" for elk, but works fine on goats and deer. And I've used the 120 Ballistic quite successfully on good-sized bull elk and moose (100% bang flows on large bull elk).

Anyway, when the opportunity came up to whack an Asian water buffalo, there was no doubt what bullet I would use. I loaded the 154 Hornady down, for the undoubtedly close range, and went afield with no fear.

The shot was about fifty yards and the big bugger was precisely broadside. I held at the point of the jaw and placed the bullet. The 154-grain Hornady penetrated the near-side two-inch thick neck hide, traversed the neck, surgically whacking both carotid arteries, penetrated the far-side two-inch thick neck hide, leaving a one-inch exit hole and .... for all I know the perfectly expanded bullet is still in low orbit of the earth.

For those who don't know, Asian water buffalo are HUGE creatures that taste good. Shot through the ribs, they tend to go for a while. Properly executed, like mine was, they simply fall over and squirt a four-foot blood fountain straight up into the air.

Personally, I'd rather kill a water buff precisely with a 154-grain Hornady and get the job done instantly. A month or so after I killed my buff, several Campfire folks were on a buff hunt in Texas. It was the typical thing of "big bullets for big critters" and shooting in the brown. And, of course, it took a barrage of 400-grain bullets to eventually whittle down the beasties. I'm too old for that crap ... precisely place a 154 and it will just plain kill schit.

My experience has been that the 154-grain Hornady Spire Point Interlocked is simply a great bullet.

I'm kind of amazed that the usual cup-and-core bullet haters and dissers have not injected their usual bile upon this discussion. That's nice. grin

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Steve,

I have found Hornady bullets work very well too. I have killed a pile of critters with their 130 and 140 grain bullets in 270 and 270 Weatherby.

I have also used their 139 grain bullets a lot in 7mm-08 and 280 with perfect satisfaction.

In 30 caliber,I have used them in 150,165,and 180 grain flavor out of rifles in 308,30-06,and 300 Win Mag.

I have had more dead right there kills with these bullets than any others,and trust me I have used a lot of different bullets.

I often find them just under the offside hide of dead critters and they tend to weigh about half their original weight and expand to about twice their original diameter.

This doesn't impress some people,and they think these bullets failed. Whatever,the critters are still dead.

My friend Van,used the 180 grain Hornady out of his 300 Weatherby to kill more than a dozen Brown Bears that were poorly hit by clients with various wunder bullets from various wunder guns.

I have used them to keep very big,very nasty hogs from hurting people in similar circumstances.

I don't use Hornady bullets exclusively, still like to try other stuff,but when somebody tells me they won't work as well as their homometalic bondage core bullets,I just grin and nod. grin

Britt

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I'm late to the topic,but want to confirm the utility of the Hornaday 7mm 154 gr.. Used for years in my old all-purpose backpacking rifle(that being deer,elk,goats,black bear)Savage 99-F,284W..Used the spire point in that one.and the RN in the win100,284W,when in the pole timber..(the RN can seat out a bit further, still function from mag,and fly well enough for those ranges)..)..a good # ,, Idabull

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I don't use any bullet exclusely, I have a fair amount of experience with this great bullet. About ten years ago I bought nearly one thousand of them at a garage sale. With them my son,my brothers and I have killed enought deer, elk and other stuff to know this is one great bullet. Out of my 280AI it is scary accurate and flat shooting. Two of my brothers took their 7mm Rem Mag. loaded with that bullet to B.C. and killed one each, elk, moose, caribou. Some of the most text book perfect expanded bullets I have in my modest collection are 154gr. Hornady's. Yeah, I like them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
I bought a bunch of them when Midway had them as seconds. I use them in a 7x57 at not quite 2800 fps and they work great. I had two one shot kills on deer with them last year and I expect to use them again this year.
I think I bought 10,000 when they were seconds. I still have an unopened bag/box of 5,000 and a bag of maybe 2,000. I use them in a 7mmTCU @ 1750 fps and in an old M93 Mauser @ 2300 fps, and get outstanding accuracy in both. I've never shot game with either, however, although I'm considering hunting with the 7mmTCU this year.

A couple of questions: (1) what were they before Interlock; and (2) how do you think it will do on deer at 1750 fps?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
PS: Did anyone else who bought the seconds find anything wrong with the bullets? Mine were perfect except a few (1 of 100) had what looked like water stains on them, like a sprinkler went off and got some of them wet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Royce, I've never shot them in one of the smaller 7's but I have used it a bit in the 7 Rem. It's always done very well for me and has always been one of my go to accuracy bullets when it comes to testing a 7 to see if it'll perk.

I did build a load up for a friend (who then did the loading himself) with an A-Bolt with a 26" tube. He's used it to fill more than one ark and just continues to fill the freezer and trophy room with it. That was about 15 years ago or so and I don't think that he'll ever change it.

Side note, to me...the 154 Horn in a 7 and the 180 Horn in a 30 are both incredibly accurate and both perform more like a preme than a standard bullet.

Good luck with it

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If Jon Sundra sees this thread, he can weigh in prett heavily. In an article a few years ago, he wrote that he had taken more game with the 154 Hornady than any other bullet, with 7mmsof all sizes and velocities. I recommende this bullet to a friend 9yrs ago for a plains game safari, and he was tickled with the accuracy and performance in his 7 Rem mag. Another friend loaded some for his wife's 7-08 3yrs ago, and she downed a nice 3x3 elk with one shot. It staggered about 30 yards and dropped.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Dad which is 83 now and no longer hunts killed...well let's just say for 50 years almost every hog and whitetail that got in his way with the 139gr Hornady interlock in 7x57.Way over 100 deer and I don't know how many hogs.He finally got tired of the challenge and had a 257AI built and used the 117gr interlock...same results! powdr

Last edited by powdr; 08/06/08.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.