Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's right sports fans.. even wildcats.. and all at NO additional charge!

Too good to be true??? Is this going to cost a fortune?? NOPE!!!

ER Shaw is going to be distributing a Rifle Called the Shaw Mark VII... or Mark 7 for those who don't know Latin..

They are purchasing actions from Savage, that will have the Shaw Name engraved on the receiver...they come with the accu trigger, and will be available in left or right handed actions...

List price is supposed to be about $625.00...

the Stock will be the Boyd's JRS style, completely finished and available in your choice of Laminate Gray or Nutmeg ( Brown)..

If you need your barrel fluted they can do that...

Plus the actions are available in chrome moly or Stainless, and your barrel can be the choice of either also!

I don't know about your gents, but this is fantastic!!! I could see thinning out the gun cabinet and just invest in a few of these rigs to replace them and then just order replaceable barrels..from Shaw or other companies..

Imagine desiring a rifle chambered in 22.250 AI with a one in 9 twist to it, in Stainless and with a Fluted barrel.. along with a barrel length available from 16 to 26 inches.. YOU pick! and it is all available from the factory turnkey! for $625.00 MLP...or MSR...

personally I think this is the best thing to happen for Gunsales in a long long time.. if not ever..

I bet it is time to get an order in now, as I bet they will be back ordered for the next 3 years once this gets rolling..

I'm going to need to get at least 2, one short action and one long action... after that.. I a gun cabinet full of stuff that I need to sell..

Cheers
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
UPdate:

I called Chris at ER Shaw...

Right now this is a barreled action...

Boyd's is making stocks for the rifle in their JRS profile and their Varmint Profile Stocks..
and are being inletted to take any one of the contours available by Shaw

those contours will be their # 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and # 5 contours...

They will not come with Savage's Barrel nut installed...

They can be ordered with a target crown or an 11 degree crown at no charge..

These rifles are each hand assembled..the lugs and everything is trued before assembly..

they are negotiating with a synthetic stock manufacturer that will have inletted synthetic stocks for each of the barrel contours available but that is still in negotiations..

right now turn around is 4 to 6 months..

sky is the limit on what is available here.. they indicated the gunrags screwed the info up in their articles on it already...

so as an example.. I proposed the following for a cost quote..

Stainless action, right handed
stainless barrel.. 26 inches
11 degree target crown
#5 bull barrel
accutrigger is included here..

Chambered in any available 20, 22, 24 centerfire caliber .. with availability of 1 in 14, 12 or 9 twist..

Without a Stock.. just a barreled action..

Cost: $595.00 with $24.00 shipping to anywhere in the lower 48...

I can get an inletted Boyds stock in Grey or Brown for this rig.. say in their varmint profile..

about $100.00 + shipping on an unfinished stock..

about $180.00 finished and ready to go..

the JRS profile finished is about $150.00

their catalog web address:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/er_shaw_new_heritage.pdf grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
so you failed to say how the barrels are "attached" and 'reattached' with the new one.

How simple/complex is this?

It's like a Contender frame? Easy to change barrels?

What about bolts?

Sure I can go from a 223 to 308 but what about a different bolt?

I'm not overly excited till I see some details.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The barrels on the Shaw rifle will be normal shouldered barrels just like a Remington 700. A gunsmith or a lathe will be required to fit alternate barrels to the action since headspace is function of chamber length and shoulder position. The Savage has, in effect, a movable shoulder with it's barrel nut.
The bolt is standard Savage fare and thus it is very easy to change out the boltheads. You would have to change the bolthead when going from .223 Rem to .308 Win.
The Shaw MkVII will have the old style Savage bolt release and is probably a blind mag rifle.
The variety of interesting chamberings is intriguing as is the relatively modest price but the Shaw will not be as conducive to barrel swaps as the Savage is.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You could always use other barrels that headspace with a barrel nut. The original barrel will still be headspaced to the original bolt. Just make sure those two are always mated together and I don't see where you would have a problem with barrel swaps.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course you're right Vic. Any prefit barrel threaded for a Savage should screw right on.
Of course you'd then have the nut to look at.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
nsaqam--I have a Savage M14 American Classic in .308, and it is an attractive rifle, in spite of the nut. But I do have to admit that a rifle does look cleaner without a barrel nut, and that it is a complaint heard often in the shooting community, and Shaw is accomodating that sector. I mean, really, how many people out of the total gun-owning community change barrels that often? Just a few of us. I tend to lean more towards function and have been accused of hunting with tomato stakes before. I think Shaw is making a good move.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is interesting as ER Shaw is only 1/2 hr. drive for me!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ah! I get it now!

Yes a gun you can get in ANY chambering would be nice!

I'm thinking 30-30 bolt action.... smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
or 358 winchester....

or 7-30 Waters....

or....:)

Last edited by blammer; 07/26/08.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The .358 is no problem. The .30-30 or the 7X30 Waters would take a .506 bolthead and the attendant difficulties of feeding a rimmed cartridge from a stack magazine.

It could be done, but just a little more "custom"

.532 bolthead in .450 marlin at 50 kpi....can you say "thumper"?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
450bushmaster looks good too! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ya know, I hadn't thought about that one..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
short action 45-70 smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wonder if any of the current Savage aftermarket stocks would fit on this rifle? Might be a gap at the barrel nut location, but that is not a biggy to me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Before you get to excited you need to actually use a switch barrel rifle. I had a Remington 700 action in 280 converted to switch barrel with a 7MM Gibbs barrel over 22 years ago. Before you go digging for your Cartridges of the World Handbook, the 7MM Gibbs is the 30-06 blown out & necked down to 7MM. I used the combo for hunting out West & it worked. The different barrels used a set screw to establish head space. You of course, had to rezero your scope which is a PITA. You could go with QD rings & change to a prezeroed scope. For confidence you need to shoot a few times when changing barrels. After a few years I grew tired of changing barrels & the extra barrel sits in my safe. Switch barrels are another great idea until you own one. Most are not willing to bother with the hassel.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Savage 308Varmit stainless for F-class. It's cheap and worked much better than than me in that class. Since I had a short action, I thought why not a 260 or a 350RM ? I'm finding switching back and forth to be a bother. If gas prices for hunting trips hadn't cut into the budget,I would have bought another 308 sporter. At least my target rifle would be set-up all the time.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Savage 110 that I rebarreled to 22-250AI. I was planning on it being a switch barrel to a 308. It shoots too good with the 22-250 barrel, and I don't want to mess with it. When I wear this barrel out, I might reconsider the 308 barrrel.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Beware the man that has only one rifle.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savages are so cheap to begin with I fail to see the logic. If you want a Savage in 4 calibers why not buy 4 and have them rechambered?

Otto is my co-pilot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.