Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Once upon a time, Browning's 7 1/2 lb .375 was considered a very light rifle for such a cartridge. Then, last year, I noticed the Sako 85 was listed at only 7 lbs - even in .375 H&H. Now, I see the new Browning X in .375 H&H is listed at what I would call a "very light" 6 lbs 13 ounces.

I know that good stock design, materials and well designed recoil pads can go along way to mitigating the negative effects of recoil. But, with regards to a cartridge like the .375, I can't help but wonder - with these rifles will it be enough to counteract the lower weight?

In Northern B.C. with it's steep vertical landscape, a light rifle with such "oomph" would certainly not be out of place, especially when hunting grizzlies and moose.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just picked a CZ 550 Safari Classic, for the weight and bulk to the stock. With a Leupold VX2 2x7 it's almost 11 pounds and you can tell it is a man sized rifle when you pick it up. I do not plan on carrying it up and down mountains or hill, and just like shooting larger calibers so the weight will be a benefit from recoil control standpoint.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brian: I have a 375 on a pre-64 M70 action with a 24" kreiger;stock is a Brown Precision,and with Leup base and rings,and 4X scope it weighs about 8.25 lbs. You would not likely find it tough to carry,or to shoot as the Brown stock is very straight,and "gives" just a hair when fired. It does recoil a bit,but you'd never notice it while shooting at game. But I personally would not want a 6# 375 grin

I find it less jarring than a buddies 340 Weatherby.

You would find mine a satisfactory rifle for BC, I think...

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/20/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian,

Here is a recoil calculator. http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2frecoilcalc.ascx

Personally I draw the line with my 375 Taylor with a 260 accubond going 2775 with an 8 lb rifle. 42 ft/lbs of recoil. Can't imagine shooting a full load in a 375 H and H in anything lighter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I know that good stock design, materials and well designed recoil pads can go along way to mitigating the negative effects of recoil. But, with regards to a cartridge like the .375, I can't help but wonder - with these rifles will it be enough to counteract the lower weight?

Brian .... You're very right about a proper stock going a long way to help control recoil. I shoot a Remington 700 custom (sort of) in 375 Chatfield-Taylor with 21" bbl. It only weighs 8.5lb scoped, but is fairly easy to shoot given the big butt end and the limbsaver. That old B&C stock sure is ugly, but I wouldn't trade it for any other for that particular rifle.
[Linked Image]

The top pad is the Limbsaver from the 375/338 and the bottom came off a Browning A-Bolt in 375H&H. Middle pad is a standard Rem pad. BTW ... That A-Bolt was VERY nasty to shoot.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably one of the best ways to get a LW 375 is just to buy one of those 700 SPSs in 375H&H, cut back the bbl to 22", get her tuned up and add a McMillan.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
AZ,

I usually use the "Beartooth Bullets" "Recoil Calculator" to get my figures - but, thanks for the additional link. Here's the thing.

I already shoot a light 7mm STW - according to the calculator - it recoils at about 36 ft.lbs and at 17fps.

I want to get the new Browning Ti in .300WSM. According to the calculator - it'll recoil at about 40 ft.lbs at 20fps.

In the 375 a really lightweight (8 lbs all up) will recoil at about 46/19. A still lighter than average (9 lb) 375 package will recoil at about 41/17. A 10 lb package at about 37/15, and the common CZ type 375 weighs about 11 lbs all up and recoils at about 34/14.

Few would think it, but the calculator shows that the "average weight" 7mm STW can easily recoil similarly to the "average weight" 375H&H - due to the fact that most .375's weigh a few pounds more than most of the lightweight magnums.

Based on my own shoulder's computations smile - I'm of the opinion that a few lbs either way in total ft.lbs of recoil isn't nearly as noticeable as the perceived difference of the SPEED of the recoil in fps. My own shoulder, seems to object to the speed of recoil - more than the total amount of recoil.

It's why (with what I've shot) heavy shotgun loads and heavy rifle .375's feel more like a "big push" compared to the "rap" on the shoulder that lightweight magnums often transmit.

Since I handle lightweight (8lbs - all up) magnums (like .300 Winchesters, Weatherbys and 7mm STW's) well - I think that I may not mind shooting a lightweight (but still heavier than the smaller magnums) in .375 H&H.

Still, having said that - I'd like to hear from anyone owning such a combo - before I decide which (if any) .375 I'd like to by for use here.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ow

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had two Browning A bolt in 375 SS one with boss and the other with a 26". I bought the boss equipped on to deal with the big bore effect but ended up trading it off for the longer barreled non boss. The boss cuts down the recoil but the recoil is not bad at all for a gun just over 7 pounds, negative drop in the stock is what makes it that way. My friend has an early 300 Weatherby and the muzzlewip and recoil would make a old man cry if he didn't know what he was in for

Last edited by raamw; 08/21/08.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've got a Remington 700KS in .375 ouch and ouch and all up with sling, leupy and 3 rounds weighs 7lbs 15oz. Ain't too bad to shoot and it does that in spades. Always 1MOA or under doesn't much matter what ammo. She'll be my big gun in Alaska in 2 weeks. I will primarily be using my Montana in .325WSM.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The problem I have found with light weight rifles is they get really bouncy in the tight of things and tend to wobble all over hell as your trying to take a stress shot..If you have plenty of time and can chose your spot and take a shot they are fine, but if you need to snap shoot a charging buffalo or Lion then your probably in deep do do! or make a running shot on a Kudu in the thick stuff or a sheep going over a saddle..

I like a 9 to 9.5 Lb. rifle and if thats too heavy to carry all day then someone needs to run some miles every day and drop about 25 pounds, that makes your gun a lot lighter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had several lw 375's. The first was a Pre 64 M70 375 Ackley. By the way it is a real gain in velocity over the H&H. I was shooting 250 grain Bitteroot's at 3100fps. It weighted 7 3/4 pounds and was a handful. I had a second one whose nick name was THOR. Both were real thunder gods but they were very difficult to control. The first got a new barrel and the second went away. Next I tried a std H&H at 8 1/2 pounds and with 300 grain bullets at 2450 it was much nicer. The classic formula for the light 375 was first built by Al Biesen for John Jobson. Jobson had very specific thoughts of what he wanted. Biesen resisted building it but on completion he liked it so well that many more were constructed. It is a 23" barrel and a finished weight of 8 3/4 pounds w/o shells and sling. It was a great formula then and remains so today. I would follow that exactly.

Last edited by RinB; 08/21/08.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BC: The other day I shot mine, field prone, at 300 yards.I had not previously shot it in a few months.It comes back, but as you point out,the recoil velocity seems like more of a push,slower than a light STW,300,etc.I can't say I'm the least uncomfortable with it.I practice off hand with it and seem to do as well as with any 300 mag.

Handed it to friend who had not fired the rifle before,and he said it was no problem to shoot.I would not be concerned about a 375 weighing 8-8.5 pounds in a synthetic stock.Another match shooter at our club wrapped up in the sling with this rifle and started throwing 10's at 300 yards with it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Until recently I had a winchester 70 classic in 375 H&H. It had been highly customized to be very light weight. The barrel contour was turned down, cut at 20", and all excess metal removed from the action. It ended up weighing right at 6lbs 4oz with the scope detached. The scope brought it up to about 7 1/2 pounds. It was a joy to carry and hunt with. Recoil was brisk but not unmanagable and it was very accurate. I wouldn't think twice about owning a second lightweight 375 H&H they don't kick nearly as hard as poeple are afraid they will. I might even go up to a 375 RUGER or Weatherby on the next one.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

........ Nice! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image]

........ Nice! smile

Big time one of the nicest rigs to ever show it's face around the Fire! That and my G33 in a 270 and a good 223 and life is good...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a FINE looking rifle and although I need a .375 like a hole in the head, I would love to get my hands on one just like that!
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolHey Bud, every one needs at least one yote rifle

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would love to have another .375 H&H, Mark!

Perhaps for 'Chucks at the workplace??
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stress mgt I tell you!

Dober

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (338reddog, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 5spd, 16 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,114
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.