Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My elk hunting buddy Jerry is leaving for Alaska in a few weeks for a brown bear hunt. He is bringing his .338 Win Mag. This is a rifle he shoots well and has owned for many years, so we can skip the whole part about how that's too much gun and he'll be scared of it, etc! grin

He asked me what load to use. He doesn't reload. I was kind of thinking that a 250-gn Partition would be hard to beat? Or perhaps a TSX... 225 grains maybe?

I have no idea though, those are just WAG's. I'll step out of this thread now and once it gets some answers, I'll forward him a link to the thread.

Thanks!!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd tell him to use the Federal Premium 225gr TSX. I'd also consider the 210gr TSX if it was me.

I'm headed to Alaska in 2 weeks to hunt Grizzly, and will use either a 225gr Nolser, or the 185gr TSX. I don't have time to fiddle with the 210gr TSX. The Noslers are super accurate out of my 338 and a known quantity, but I'd like to try the 185gr TSX to see how they work. I'll be at the range Tuesday, I'm going up .5 grains over the load I usually use.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You are certainly giving your buddy good advice if you suggest he uses the Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX. Both are outstanding bullets and will work well on a bear.

He needs to get some of each and see what his rifle prefers. I have been working up loads for a bunch of rifles with the Barnes TSX this year and have sure seen mixed results in regard to accuracy. Some rifles shoot them quite well with little load development while others will frustrate the hell out of you before you can get them to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
remington 225 grain swift a frames....
i have not used on br bear, but on an eland, one shot at about 225yds, entered on a broadside shot, found perfectly mushroomed just under hide on other side, PH guestimated weight, 2,000lbs, a fairly large bull.
i love the 338wm, and loaded with the rem 225 a frames,a killer combo...but as you suggested, a 250 grain nosler partition is excellent as well...
fwiw, the 250 partitions and the 225 a frames print almost identical from my rifle, i use the 225 for fairly open areas, and if it's thick, the 250 get the nod.
just my $.02

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the Speer reloading manual tonight in the reading room. I read the .338 data because I was thinking of getting a .338 - 06 and was comparing the two. Speer says it's a good caliber for big bears. They start with a 200 grain bullet and say that they recommend the heavier bullets just because their jacket construction is better. All the manuals say .338's are good for big bears. I'm sure it's not a "marginal" cartridge and all the cartridges with 200+ grain bullets are good choices. From my own life experiences I like Speer Grand Slams, and would look for them or Swift A Frames or similar bullets in your loads. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the fire, and I'm sure they'll give some good specifics as they have already.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are...factories...that make ammunition? Whoa...

Federal loads TSX's, Partitions and Bear Claws. Hard to go wrong. TSX would be my choice, were I shooting a .338 Win Mag, which is not likely. But that's your friend's issue, not mine.

Factories that make ammo...hmmm... whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Some of us have lives.... wink

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would use the Swift A Frame. They are more likely to dump the bear quickly.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
More likely than what?

Why would that be?

And what would that be based on?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
-Federal 225-grain TSX
-Handloads with 250-grain A-Frame at around 2600 fps
-Factory loads with 250-grain Partition Gold (don't know if these are loaded by Federal).
-Otherwise, handloads with 250-grain Barnes TSX. Will be a little slower, but excellent for close shots.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Ray
-Factory loads with 250-grain Partition Gold (don't know if these are loaded by Federal).
[/quote]

no sir ...these are loaded by winchester...

since i do not roll my own, i pay a bit more attention to the factory loadings...LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by muledeer

Federal loads TSX's, Partitions and Bear Claws. Hard to go wrong. TSX would be my choice, were I shooting a .338 Win Mag, which is not likely. But that's your friend's issue, not mine.

Dennis

MD: Never hunted browns, but who knows what the future holds.

If I did would probably use my .300WM, but a .338WM purchase would be thought about. Why not? Not enough or not necessary? Interested in observed-first or second hand- vs internet opinions.

Thanks,

Battue

Addition: I think that any reasonable bullet/caliber placed right will work. However, I tend to like a buffer when hunting.

Last edited by battue; 08/25/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've used both the 210 nosler and 250 noslers over the years. Seems to me the 250's perform better. 250's seem to get better retained weight if they don't pass through which is fine by me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just got back from a brown bear hunt. The outfitter and most of the guides used 338 Win Mag as their back up rifles, mostly with factory loads. The outfitter uses 210 Partitions (Federal's load, I think) while my guide uses the 250 grain Partition in the Federal load. No backup shots required as I used the Hawkeye Alaskan 375 Ruger with a handloaded Barnes 300 grain TSX at 2550 MV - enough medicine.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 08/25/08.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by muledeer

Dennis

MD: Never hunted browns, but who knows what the future holds.

If I did would probably use my .300WM, but a .338WM purchase would be thought about. Why not? Not enough or not necessary? Interested in observed-first or second hand- vs internet opinions.

Thanks,

Battue

Addition: I think that any reasonable bullet/caliber placed right will work. However, I tend to like a buffer when hunting.

Lots of people have successfully hunted brown bears with .300 mags, and .30-'06's. I don't hunt bears, but when I carried a rifle on the job for bear protection, it was my .35 Whelen with 250-gr bullets. That was a situation where I would only be shooting at biting range, so heavier is better.

I would never advise anyone to pass up a plausible reason to buy another rifle, so I think you really do need a .338 Mag grin. I am biased toward medium bores for bigger animals, whether they bite or not, so I think rifles from about .325 WSM/.338 RCM up through .375 Ruger make good choices. Even my 8-lb .375 Ruger Hawkeye African is very shootable to anyone with experience, and the .35 Whelen/9.3x62 are, IMHO, easier to shoot than a .300 win Mag.

Roundabout way of getting to one of my signature lines. Breaking important body parts is the crux of bear shooting, and bigger better bullets break body parts more reliably.

Buy a new rifle -- you have lots of great medium-bore choices these days grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We backward Alaskans do not usually have a big gun with a guide next to us, so we tend toward the big guns ourselves. Nonresidents will be guided or at least have kin with them so two high power rifles are better than one. I have had great results with both the first generation Xs and A-Frames (factory and handloads). Some very wise guides do not allow their sports to shoot handloads anyway, as always a cool head and the bolt knob worn shiney will go a long way toward "a harmonious outcome"

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MD: Thanks.

Not sure if I would ever hunt browns. Just seems like you AK guys have enough extra hanging around that I may think about it. Kind of pricey for us outsiders tho. but I keep finding reasons to spend some time in Alaska. cool place.

That being said I have good .308W and .300WM rifles along with the .338Fed I've been messing with. I was thinking I should do something with the .06 and 35Whelen was starting to interest me. I really don't have much need for the .338WM just interested in your thoughts.

Thanks again,

Battue

Last edited by battue; 08/25/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need is such a harsh word.....

Al

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
No backup shots required as I used the Hawkeye Alaskan 375 Ruger with a handloaded Barnes 300 grain TSX at 2550 MV - enough medicine.

Who'da thunk??? whistle

Been meaning to try out some 270 grain banded solids in the 3/8" bore.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have used the .338 since its inseption, I got one the first year of production and have hunted in about 70 countries with it..I have shot everything from rock chucks to Cape Buffalo with it..It is truely a grand caliber..

I personally have 3 loads but they are all handloads..I shoot the 210 Nosler at 3005 FPS, the 250 Nosler at 2700 FPS and the 300 gr. Woodleighs at 2400 FPS give or take a tad in my 24 inch barreled Mauser rifle...

These are my favorite bullets..I tried the Swifts on several Safaris, shot some 40 or so animals with them and frankly did not particularly care for them...They do expand into these nice but very smooth perfect mushrooms, and look great on the desk top or in your trophy room, but the fact is the Nosler and Woodleighs have those ragged ugly wings splaying outward and they cut and tear up a lot more tissue than the smooth round Swifts that remind me of a muzzle loader ball with a base. The Noslers sometimes spew the lead out but the remainder of the bullet looks much like a Barnes X and does the same thing. If you have a problem with the lead coming out of the frontal portion then use a heavier Nosler and it won't happen..

I also like the GS Customs monolithic bullets for the 338...I don't care much for the 225 gr. bullets in any make as I see them as neither fish nor fowl or perhaps I am an extremeist..

At any rate I think you need to look over the Federal ammunition as they have quite a bit on their plate to choose from...

The above is only my opinnion based on my experiences and I respectfully know that others may have had different experiences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.