OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Let's see, where do I begin........?

The hunters: Just me and my very good friend Larry. We've been friends since college (20 years). This was his first real hunt ever as he decided to take up the sport earlier in the year to hunt with me. We'll do Antelope and Mulie hunts together later in the year here in CO. I can't wait to help him harvest his first animal (look out buck anteope). I am in my third season.

The rifle: Cooper Classic in a .308 shooting Factory Federal with 180 grain partitions. The partition did the trick and was recovered in a perfect mushroom. First kill with this rig. Will start reloading as soon as I get a bench.

The Oryx: Large bodied bull, 160 lbs quartered on the hook, one horn just under 32" and the other just under 29" with 8" bases. This guy has a lot of character. He's got scars on top of his head, the shorter horn is battle scarred, he has a bite shape chunk of one ear missing from frost bite, and he was missing one eye from fighting. I love the "character" of this fine animal. Took the meat to the processor today and can't wait to try it. "Better than elk" is something I have heard a bunch.

The hunt: I drew this coveted "once in a lifetime" tag in my second year of applying. With heavy anticipation I checked the results the morning they came out. I had a feeling I would draw the tag and was extremely disappointed when I saw the words "unsuccessful." When I checked my email that evening I had received an email from the NM Fish and Game department stating that they had issues with credit card processing for all successful applicants and that they had misinformed those hunters about the draw. I had actually drawn the tag!!!

I had been told repeatedly that animals were numerous, success rates were 80%+, the hunt is easy, and the hunt is a lot of fun. I'll tell you what, I think the hunt was anything but easy! It was hot as hell (95 degrees), the missile range is HUGE (it can easily take over two hours to drive it), the terrain is very diverse ranging from sandy bottoms with little cover to dense vegetation with little to no visibility, the animals were dispersed, the mosquitos were terrible, and the Oryx run like antelope and flee close to first site of humans.

Day 1: Starts with a mandatory orientation at 5am. Nothing difficult, just a few groundrules and limitations of being on a military installation. When they cut you loose it becomes 110 hunters/vehicles with their pals rushing to their vehicles to be the first ones out. With the exception of a handful of restricted areas and the normal boundaries, it's a free for all....hunt where you want, and people scatter in a hurry!

I had spoken with the on-site biologist that oversees the Oryx population as well as a few people here and on other forums. Based on that information, we had pre-targeted three specific areas. Area #1 had been home to a herd of 400+ animals according to the biologist. After a 2 mile hike to the center of the area, they weren't there. We did watch a group of three hunters stalking 3 animals from a distance, but they blew it by trying to get closer even though they couldn't be more than 200 yards away with a clear shot. Not smart. As stated earlier, they will bolt at first site and they did just that when they spotted the hunters creeping in. On our hike back out a group of about 8 animals came freight-training by us as they must have been bumped by other hunters. No chance for a shot. We tried several other areas both by driving back roads and by spending a lot of time glassing. We just weren't seeing many animals at all. We spent the entire day just like this....tired, frustrated, extremely hot, and disappointed. Later in the day we were on a very rocky trail to check out another area on got a front wheel flat on the sharp rocks (they warn you in advace to bring two spare tires....very good idea). It was very difficult to get that tire changed on a rocky and uneven trail in 95 degree weather. At the end of day 1 driving to the gate, I spotted a real toad lying in the grass about 500 yards off the road. He was a real beauty. As soon as we began to slow, he immediately jumped to his feet and bolted. We had one more fleeting chance on the same drive out. We saw another group freight training their way across a grade as another group of hunters was on them. I jumped from my truck and started running in the direction they were going, trying to stay a bit ahead of them. I was doing so because I saw another truck barreling up the road obviously attempting to cut them off around the bend. I was trying to get into position thinking that the speeding truck would cut them off and turn them around right back in my direction. The plan almost worked, but the driver of that truck not only cut them off, but he was far enough ahead of them to get a shot off and send the group in an entirely different direction. That's the way day one ended. On our way out we discovered that less than 40 of the 110 hunters had harvested an animal. Typically that number ranges from 50%-60%. We were dejected, but that made us feel a bit better.

Day 2: Rested and ready to go, we started day 2. There was, however, a lot of angst as we could only hunt until 3pm that day (buddy had to catch a flight - poorly planned on his part). We had asked where most of the previous days activity came from and decided to start there. On our drive to this selected area we saw a single Oryx about 50 yards off the road. We drove right past him without slowing intent on pulling over down the road and pulling an end around on him. Good news...it worked. Bad news...the sun had just come up behind him and we couln't see sh*t staring into the sun. We lost him in the glare. We hiked and glassed for hours after that but didn't see much. We did finally see the huge herd the bioligist told us about, but they were miles away, in a completely different area, and unreachable through a ravine. We continued or routine of driving to new areas, hiking, glassing,etc. but to no avail. We glassed another single Oryx out about 2000 yards as we sat atop a big berm used for missile launches. He was staring at us, but didn't bolt due to our distance. I decided to descend the berm and do an end around with my buddy giving me hand signals from above. It was the perfect set-up. I was hiking out, my buddy was watching him, and he was watching my buddy. Only problem is near the end of the stalk, the damn wind completely shifted and was now at my back. I don't have to tell you what happened next. Hour by hour passed and I was watching my very expensive once in a lifetime tag/animal flash before my eyes. We were now down to our last 90 minutes and the mood was not good, especially mine. We decided to drive to one last area where we thought we might find some animals. We were less than a mile up the road heading to the foothills to hike and glass when Larry yelled "stop". I looked right and saw 5-6 Oryx looking at us 100 yards off the road and behind tall grasses and shrubs. All we could see was their faces and horns. I quickly got out of the truck, grabbed my Cooper, loaded a round, grabbed my shooting sticks from the bed of my truck and took aim. They were still staring at me!! crazy I didn't want to shoot head-on, particulary with all of them behind tall grass and bushes. I knew they would turn to run, so I waited for them to do so. As soon as they turned and I had a bigger target, I fired. Moments later, I saw a big dust cloud so I knew I had one down. Sure as sh*t, as soon as we cleared the grass and shrubs, we saw the beauty down. The first shot must have deflected a bit off the grass/shrubs as it had taken out his hips/rear legs. One more quick shot to the vitals to finish him off is all it took. Talk about a complete 180 degree turn in mood. We worked fast to field dress the Oryx in 95 degree weather and lift him into the truck. Getting him in the truck was a pain in the azz. I needed to get him off base to take pictures (can't do so on the range) so I couldn't quarter him on the spot. So, we got him in (don't know how), drove to the gate, registered our kill, took our pics (not the best) and were able to get Larry off to the airport in his rental car we left outside the gate, all with 15 minutes to spare eek

It was a hunt/experience I will never forget! Just goes to show you (and a lesson for me) that it ain't over until the fat lady sings, and I will have a beautiful mount in my office in about 6 months to prove it!

Sorry for the long post, but it was fun to recount the experience.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice. My hunt was almost the exact as to timing. Got mine on second day with less than thirty minutes left. They are certainly not EASY. Thanks for sharing the experience and a great report. I bet that heat was a killer. Glad you got him. Cooled down quickly, you will enjoy the venison.

Did you happen to get info on the largest animals taken?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice Critter cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
congrats!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The one we killed a couple of years ago was by far the best game meat I have eaten. You won't be disappointed. As a tip to those who draw this tag in the future, depending on the range you draw (we had small missile) I would get a 12' ladder and stand it up in the bed of the truck with four tie downs holding it steady. I would sit on TOP of it to glass. We stood on top of the cab but a few more feet would have really helped. Some of the outfitters have these man-lift cages built into their trucks- sweet.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on a beautiful animal.
How many of the oryx seen had broken horns?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great story, great pics. I need to start applying for that one. Let us know what you think of the meat.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I asked the biologist on site for the stats and this is what he sent out today:

August 23-24, 2008 Rhodes Canyon Oryx Hunt Summary

# %

Permits 110

Hunters 106 96%

Denied Entry 0 0%

Violations 0 0%

Kills 86 81%

Adults 67 78%

Adult Bulls 39 58%

Adult Cows 28 42%

Reported Pregnant 8 29%

Subadults 19 22%

All Bulls 52 60%

All Cows 34 40%

Non-Typical 25 29%

Average of LHL
Average of RHL
Average of LBC
Average of RBC
Average of SCORE

Adult Cows

Adult Bulls

Adult Oryx

Top Cow

Top Bull

Additional Notes:

One WSMR access fees collected
Four no shows
Twenty no harvests
Thirty-four non-resident hunters thirty-two harvested an oryx ( one no show, one no harvest)
Thirteen of fifteen guided hunters harvested an oryx ( one no show, one no harvest)
Nine out of fifteen broken horn hunters harvested an oryx
All four veteran�s who hunted harvested an oryx (one no show)
50 out of 106 hunters harvested on Day 1 of the scheduled 2-day hunt
The top bull harvested is tied for 1st place among largest taken on WSMR bull or cow. In 1989 a bull was harvested in the Rhoades Canyon hunt area with a total score of 100.25
(LHL � 42.125/RHL - 41.625/LBC � 8.25/ RBC � 8.25)

An 8 year old boy harvest a 37 inch bull on the first day of the hunt
Nineteen oryx were harvested between RR6 and Strawberry Peak on the west side of RR7
Most hunters reported having an opportunity to harvest an oryx.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Conglads on the Oryx. It's a fun hunt. LOL, your correct about the Indy 500 after the safety meeting.

I hunted the Stallion Range in January. Take your pick--- high temperature 95* or possible snow & high winds.

Still a real fun hunt. They make a great mount, are you doing the traditional 90* turn? CB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing the stats. They will continue sending them to you if you ask. I found them to be pretty interesting. That largest bull is a real toad. Congratulations on your hunt and thanks for sharing.

Their reproduction cycle must be astounding as many mature animals as they continually harvest.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I cant wait till I draw that hunt.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good for you!Maybe I'll draw next year and now I'll have more info first hand from ya.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by muygrande1

Their reproduction cycle must be astounding as many mature animals as they continually harvest.

Other than the weather do they have any predators out there to thin them out?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No on the predators. Oryx are from Africa----they have been known to kill an African lion with there horns. A NM coyote or cougar doesn't stand a chance. CB

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the report. I'll get my chance Oct. 11th and 12th.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You better post pictures of the bruiser bull you kill! cool

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on your hunt!!

Gemsbok/Oryx is also the best game meat I have eaten as well.........

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am making oryx sloppy joes as I sit here reading about your sucessful hunt, congrats on a fine bull. I wasnt a lucky. I was a week ahead of you on the muc=stang range. I took a very mature bull but he was broken on both sides. Like you it was a last 30 minute of the hunt animal. I did pass several animals I wished that I had taken. But even with only hide and meat to show for it I will always have the memories of a great hunt. It is definately the best wild game meat I have ever eaten, surpassing even elk nilgia and axis.

remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ya, I too would like to "go back" and rethink my strategy on a few animals I saw,one monster in particular.

I just picked up about 150 pounds of meat from the processor two days ago. I have pulled some steaks from the freezer to try tomorrow. Can't wait!

I am open for all offers to accompany the next Campfire member on their Oryx hunt! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm applying again next year! If I draw and you are serious I will pick you up on the way down!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.