Print Thread
Hop To
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The group I am hunting with this year has tags for the 1st season rifle in unit 12, also good in many units around 12, and would like any information on where to start looking. I have been told by some locations like Salt Park, Cyclone Park and Burro Mtn areas. Thanks for any info you can provide.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have horses the east side of Wilson mesa around Pine creek (including east and west branches)can be good. Note, there is no access to the east side of Wilson mesa from the road which borders this area (blocked by private land.) Indian Run SWA also has elk especially the south west side well away (two ridges over, just east of the private property) from the road. Be sure to pick up a Meeker BLM map. Another area if your up for a steep initial climb is the Morapos State Trust land. If your tag includes Unit 24 also check the Yellow Jacket Pass area and Jensen SWA. Sleepy Cat Peak area southwest of Salt Park is also popular. Most of the elk will be up high during the 1st season. Good luck.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info. The tag is good for unit 24 also. Can you get down the Sleepy Cat road 231? Also thinking about the Salt Park area. It looks like from my map that the Yellow Jacket pass area has just a little bit of BLM or am I missing something.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Prwlr,
Got any advice for deer during 3rd season in these same areas?
Thanks, Test

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The same areas can also be good for deer. In the 3rd season I would include the southern half of Illes Grove which is just off CO13. Hunt the back end farthest from the parking lot. This is a very popular area because of easy access and there will be lots of company. Another area is the Monument Butte State Trust section off the Yellowjacket Pass road particularly the southern third. I believe deer tags also include Unit 23, Oak Ridge STL east of Meeker can be good for elk and deer in the third season, a lot depends on the amount of snow the high country has received.

Yellowjacket Pass area is a small bit of BLM land, but it offers a way to access the western side of the National Forest.

Last edited by Prwlr; 08/22/08.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Prwlr

How about Ripple Creek Pass and Pagoda Peak with horses
in 2nd season for Elk? Thinking of those and Pyramid Peak south side off the trail head at Ripple Creek Pass. Have hunted the other side off Stillwater Res.

Thanks

Craig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by snarpezal
Prwlr

How about Ripple Creek Pass and Pagoda Peak with horses
in 2nd season for Elk? Thinking of those and Pyramid Peak south side off the trail head at Ripple Creek Pass. Have hunted the other side off Stillwater Res.

Thanks

Craig

Sorry don't have experience with these areas.

Ed

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Prwlr. I appreciate it!
Test

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
prwlr,

I'd just like to commend you for helping out a fellow hunter. Lots of guys these days won't help a guy out. It's good to see such fellowship!

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
+1 on the great help to a fellow member.

I will be hunting the area around Cyclone Park and slide creek this year. I will give a report with photos when I get back.

Bob

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slide creek and the divide towards Pagoda are great during muzzy season........

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My buddy has a 1st season bull tag and since I had put in for a point for a future archery tag I just bought a leftover cow tag. I figured I just as well be hunting while I'm scouting the area. The upper Pagoda creek looks good on the map, have you been there?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but years ago. Back then, a lot of the elk left after the first gun shot, to the private below. The first season should be real good, second slower on the forest.By the third, some elk were coming back to the forest after getting pounded on the williams fork. We hunted pagoda and slide crks., horse&burro mtn and around cyclone. prwlr gave some good advice......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
prwlr,

I'd just like to commend you for helping out a fellow hunter. Lots of guys these days won't help a guy out. It's good to see such fellowship!

Glad to help as able :-)

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.