Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I recently got one on a trade and I cant find any info about them. Does anyone know anything about these guns?

its in great shape, could use a good cleaning which I will do

Also what kind of rings go on it

thanks

Rich

There are two things that you cant take away

My guns and My love of god
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems they was a Tikka action, noting wrong with them at all.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh, if memory is also working, I believe they take Sako rings. Been a long time since I played with one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They were Tikka LSA 55 (short) and LSA 65 (long) actions. They were quality rifles. I had one in .22-250 that I still wish I hadn't traded away. Like SH, I seem to remember that they took Sako rings.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have an LSA-55 in 7mm-08...(rebored .22-.250) Both actions were made in both std and Deluxe models.

The 1st one I ever saw was back in 1976, it was an LSA-65 Dlx in .25-06. It was love at 1st sight. But in those days I was waaay to poor to buy a lot of guns. frown

These rifles were built by Tikka prior to their buyout by Sako. Also these were no relation to the Tikka rifles built now.

I once owned a Sabatti Rover 870 rifle that was a virtual clone of the Ithaca/Tikkas. I assume that Sabatti in Italy purchased the rights and/or tooling to make them. Last I knew they were imported by Alex Imports in California. But I think they are no longer being imported.

The rings are similar to Sako's but do not have the positive notch in the forward ring. Hope this helps....

Grasshopper

P.S: I just happen to know where there is one in .30-06 (Std) on the used gun rack at a local gun shop...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They also had 1 on the English BSA action.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have had an Ithaca LSA 65 in 30-06 since 1976. It was made by Tikka in Finland, and the Tikka M65 is a higher luster nicer wood cousin of it. Both resemble the older Sako's. An older friend of mine that had BIG money invested in rifles saw mine and called it a little Sako. When I told him it was an Ithaca, he said, well it was made by Sako tools, then. Before I ever shot it, he told me it was likely going to be a good shooter because, though the outside said Ithaca, it was a Tikka in it's heart.

It has always been a great shooter -- the main reason other than a pretty good barrel is that the trigger is real sweet. It now belongs to my wife, and after 32 years and likely 3,500 rounds downrange, it still shoots really well. She shot a 1" group with some hand loaded Winchester 150 gr PP just day before yesterday. Still no flies on the old girl -- the rifle either. wink

Last year, I found a Tikka M65 that was bought new in 1978 and never fired. I got a decent deal on it, sight unseen, and was thrilled with it's accuracy -- same sweet trigger, same good components. It seems to like 168 TSX's and H414, but I recently shot a pretty decent group with 180 Partitions and H4831sc, and Partitions have never shot real well in any of my rifles.

As far as the rings go, back in the day, I believe they said Sako rings fit them. Problem was, Where I was I couldn't find the rings, and so I put Weaver bases and rings on it, and recently, I couldn't find the old style Sako rings, and the newer Tikka rings don't work, so I went with weaver bases and Burris rings. Raises the scope a little, but not seriously.

Enjoy your rifle. I'm betting it will shoot real good for a hunter.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ithaca imported the Tikka and put their name on it. It should be a Bofor steel barrel on it, the same as pre-Garcia Sako barrels that everyone wants. They are excellent rifles and usually shoot well. Tikka was not a part of Sako at the time but their factory was right next door and I believe there was a lot of cooperation between the two since their rifles seem so similiar.

I have one that came with factory rings. It looks very similiar to the current Tikka's setup. I know they do not take Sako rings. Sako's have a tapered groove rail with a indexing notch. The LSA/Tikka have parallel grooved rails without a notch. There is a screw that provides indexing on one of the rings.

Is yours a Deluxe or Standard? What type of bottom metal does it have? Hinged floorplate or detachable magazine?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If it's got a clip DON'T LOSE IT!! A clip in good condition is worth nearly as much as a rifle without a clip.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm starting to think I got a great deal

I traded some misc stuff, a chain saw(needed work), 6 foot ladder and colman stove 2 burner used for a jennings buckmaster bow, and then I traded the Jennings buckmaster bow for this gun

Did I get a good deal?

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If it will shoot, you got an excellent deal. My Ithaca is a DBM, and it shoots great. I paid $329 CDN for it in 1976 and it came with a cheap Bushnell scope which I sold for $50. I gave considerably more for the Tikka M65 which was new in 1978 but I did not get till last year. Also DBM. I am guessing they are both standard models. Non-descript to look at really, but honest to goodness shooters.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I read the Deluxe is a three shot single column detachable magazine. The standard was said to be a 5 shot staggered but it never mentioned if it was a DBM or hinged floorplate.

Also, the Deluxe looks similiar to Sako's Deluxe. Higher grade wood, rosewood endcap, with skipline checkering. Mine is blonde in color.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My M65 Tikka has the skip line checkering and a 5 shot DBMag. The wood is nice, but not spectacular. Still a VERY serviceable rifle. And WAY accurate - out of the box.

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mliang
I read the Deluxe is a three shot single column detachable magazine. The standard was said to be a 5 shot staggered but it never mentioned if it was a DBM or hinged floorplate.

Also, the Deluxe looks similiar to Sako's Deluxe. Higher grade wood, rosewood endcap, with skipline checkering. Mine is blonde in color.

True.
I bought a LSA-55 Deluxe in 243 last year and it is simply beautiful.
Nice wood and deep,rich blueing.
A fantastic bolt set up with very positive locking.
And that clip is a 3 shot capacity just as you described.
Might be selling mine.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shootist,
I believe the M65 came after the LSA series and all have a DBM. (For a while the LSA came with a "cherry bomb" handle but mine is a normal style chromed bolt.) Still a very nice rifle that I actually prefer over the current T3.

I turned mine into a semi-custom rifle. My only complaint is that I don't like DBM and want a floorplate and double stacked internal magazine. Unfortantly no one can make a custom floorplate and magazine box.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
what is the going rate for one of these If i was going to sell it

its in good shape, a few nicks in the stock, bluing is about 90$

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw one at a gunshow a couple years ago in .243 and i'm sure it was marked Ithaca and Sako both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to gunbroker.com and search firearms, rifles, bolt action, Ithaca.
There are several there.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.