Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anybody own/shoot Encore barrels from Match Grade? What's their reputation for quality and accuracy?

Thanks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I had my Encore I used to get all of my barrels from them. They have a quick turn around (usually four weeks as opposed to some custom barrels at over six months) and a competitive price. All of the barrels shot MOA or better, but I always got heavy barrels. They took care of me, even when the problem was me shooting surplus 5.56 ammo in a .223 match chambered barrel. I would use them in a heart beat if ever get another T/C.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have not used Match Grade but have seen a lot of their stuff. It looks to be good quality and on par with SSK Ind's. I have used SSK exclusively and have been very very pleased with my products. Having said that, when I order another barrel for the Encore, I had already planned on using them.

Match Grade was formerly Stratton Custom.

I don't believe in their forend hanger concept but then I don't have to buy one either.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Virgin Valley was the former name for Match Grade Machine. Stratton Custom is still in business and is run by one of the Stratton brothers. The other family members are the operators of MGM.
I have several of their barrels and they make very high quality stuff..fair prices and usually good delivery times,,,,much faster than some of the others.

BTW they learned their trade from Fred Smith over at Bullberry Barrel works.
Most everyone involed in shooting Contenders snd Encores believe in some sort of barrel floating systrm such as the hanger bars offered by MGM and most others.

Their barrels are well made..accurate and they stand behind them.

Kerry and the boys are good folks to deal with,

lonerider

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Superb quality.

I'd not hesitate to put an MGM barrel on any rig, and call it good.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Lonerider
Virgin Valley was the former name for Match Grade Machine. Stratton Custom is still in business and is run by one of the Stratton brothers. The other family members are the operators of MGM.

My mistake. You're right. I shouldn't stay up so late.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have several MGM barrels and my experince is they ar top notch. Quailty is superb and thet shoot terrific. laugh

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have three contender and two encore barrels from MGM. They are machined with precision and very well finished. The only problems I have had arise because they are more precise than the other components of a G2 Contender firearm, which is just fine. The chamber tends to be more of a match chamber.

Delivery on the last two barrels which I received last week ran about eight weeks. They informed me of the delivery time when I placed the order. Demand for their product would be the reason for the delivery time.

The G2 barrels shoot very well. I am trying the Stratton hanging bar system on the Encore rifles.

My experience with the G2 and Enoore is that we have not yet perfected Eli Whitney's concept of interchangeable parts, particularly with multiple vendors. There are enough variables to keep a tinkerer happy and a perfectionist frustrated.

GrimJim

Last edited by GrimJim; 06/22/08.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jim, where can I get information on the Stratton hanging bar system?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't mean to leapfrog GrimJim here. But here's Stratton's website.
http://www.strattoncustom.com/pages-infopages/pages_id-2/index.html

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Leapfrog me all you want or run circles around me as you choose. grin

I can verify that the site kcTbear cited is the site where I found out about the Stratton hanging bar system.

GrimJim

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GrimJim

My experience with the G2 and Enoore is that we have not yet perfected Eli Whitney's concept of interchangeable parts, particularly with multiple vendors. There are enough variables to keep a tinkerer happy and a perfectionist frustrated.

GrimJim

Well put and accurate to a tee.

With that I have several MGM barrels and each is excellent and accurate. They are my first choice in customs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stratton did the trigger job on my Encore last year. The job was perfect and returned within the same week.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I got some shooting in at the rain between rain showers this afternoon with my Encore with the .308 MGM barrel and the Stratton hanging bar.

Here it is:
[Linked Image]

I fired two five shot groups, the rifle having been sighted in before the hanging bar was installed. The first group was, how shall we say, disappointing. Then I shot this one:
[Linked Image]
The shot that is separated from the other four could be the rifle or it could be me. The four shots are 0.6 inches center to center.

I don't know why the improvement from one group to the next; sight picture and shooting conditions were constant. It could be that the barrel adjusted to the hanging bar, that the barrel break-in took effect or both. I will know with a trip or two more to the range.

The rifle had been shooting 2-3 inch groups. My conclusion is that the nanging bar certainly did not hurt anything and may be a real improvement.

GrimJim

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Can you describe the hanging bar?

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Here is the Stratton hanging bar:
[Linked Image]

Cheers,

Grymjym

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I had to do some more tinkering with my .308 MGM barrel with the Stratton hanging bar. I was neck-sizing my reloads with the bullets seated out and not happy. I tried some loads that were fully sized but not seated out; these were a little more consistent but still not happy. frown I then tried some that were full length sized with the bullets seated out:
[Linked Image]
It now consistently groups about 1 inch. Happy! grin

GrimJim

Last edited by GrimJim; 09/01/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 56 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.