Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Not to add fuel to this fire but, the 404 Ruger probably wouldn't give up much to the Jeffery, as much as I hate to admit it. A quick measurement on a fired Ruger case shows a capacity difference of only ~10 grains less for the Ruger than the NE (to the case mouths, Ruger = 102.7 vs 404-375RUM = 113.2). Hitting 2250-2300 fps with a 400 gr .422" bullet out of the Ruger would probably not be out of the question - new wildcat? And a std length SS action to boot ...

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you were to measure capacity to the base of a 400 gr bullet seated to the cannelure, I think the .404 Ruger will have more case capacity. The Jeffery case has an exceedingly long neck, and a very sloping shoulder.

I have no doubt that I could run a 400 gr bullet to 2400 fps in a .404 Ruger with a 23" barrel. If I come across another great deal on a Ruger African, I may send it to Clearwater for a reboring job. I can neck-size and load cases with my .404 Jeffery dies -- at least enough to send fired cases off to have dies made.

Mind you -- I have zero need for such a thing...but wouldn't it be cool grin?

Such is the life of the rifle looney whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Because the seating depth of the .422" bullet would be the same for both the 404 NE and the 404-375 Ruger seated to the cannelure, case volume occupied by the bullet would be equal. Therefore, the 10 grain differential in effective case capacity would remain. That said, assuming that the higher working pressure specified for the 375 Ruger would be used in the 404-375 and identifying a powder with favorable burning rate - which IMO shouldn't be difficult or radically different than the ones that work in the 375 Ruger parent cartridge - the 10 grain capacity difference would produce an insignificant effect on predicted MV. So I think we agree about the potential for this wildcat. I like the idea of reboring a Hawkeye as I have a 375 Alaskan sitting in the cabinet, and like how it stands up to bad weather.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Dennis, just read my last post and realized that in my hurry to post it I failed to acknowledge your original authorship of the 404-375 Ruger wildcat & Hawkeye rebore idea. If you'd like a collaborator in its development please let me know.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm probably not the first guy to think of it, but if I'm the first one to publish a reference to it, on the Internet or otherwise, then I can claim it as intellectual property. Then I can claim originator rights and demand compensation from anyone who takes it any further commercially.

I'm betting I could net at least $11 out of the whole deal, with the help of a good lawyer grin.

Collaborate away...I can always use company in my loonacy... whistle. I do think it would be fun...and would make a swell bear-stomper.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Great. I checked with Jim Dubell at Clearwater Reboring and found out he doesn't have the rifling head needed to do a 404 (0.422") rebore. So, I'll need to do some looking for another source. I think the rebore is a better idea than re-barrelling. Will post on progress.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Extremely cool grin!

You might look at www.cutrifle.com as a possibility.

Thanks for pursuing this idea...

Dennis

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Dubell recommended Pedersen as a possibility. I'll be in touch with them next month to see what we can do. Thanks

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a 416/375 Ruger caliber custom rifle that I built and it is for sale on Guns America btw.. I found I could duplicate the .416 Rem with ease and with less powder..A 400 gr. bullet at 2400 is a snap..It is a great caliber and soon to be a factory number.

As to the 404/375 Ruger that is my next project but I assure you that you cannot duplicate the .404 Jefferys as the 404 case is just too much bigger, but it will be a nice caliber, no doubt about that...I don't know about capacity to the shoulder of the 404, but I do know that a case full of IMR-4831 will give a 400 gr. bullet 2663 FPS plus in the 27 inch tube on my Jefferys and the 375 Ruger case is not going to do that.

The problem is most folks have no hands on experience with the .404 Jefferys and are quoting what they have read by folks with the same lack of experience as they have...Case capacity is to the top of the neck with some powders, other powders are reported to push the bullets out over night, but that is because their expander button is too large on their resizing die, not a case design problem. I have tested this throughly and that is a false assumption.

The 404 case is big and right up there with the 416 Rigby..Actually you can get an easy 2700 FPS with the Rigbys 410 gr. woodleigh, and I know a couple of guys that shoot the 400 gr. bullets at near 2900 FPS in the Rigby. 2700 is about all my heart will take....

My max load in my .404 Jefferys is a 400 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS in my 26 inch custom mauser, and brass last pretty well with about 10 or more loadings average..

I don't use RUM brass as it is simply too much trouble and the specs are not exact and 404 Chambers can vary more than I like btw..
Norma brass is not all that expensive and when loaded at the accepted mild load of 2400 FPS as is my "hunting load" the brass last forever it seems.

One thing for sure the .404 is an outstanding round that has proven itself world wide with a 400 gr. bullet at 2300 FPS as in the old days..It started out at 2100 FPS and today that load is highly praised and claimed to be the round that made the .404 famous but it isn't, that 2100FPS, in fact, was somewhat of a failure so the old firm of RWS upped the load to 2300 fps and it skyrocketed in popularity. Its fame came about as it was a cheap rifle made by FN, and was the darling of the Kenya and Tanzania game depts and it excelled at its job...Did then and still does today..It is my all time favorite DGR..

Last edited by atkinson; 09/08/08.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Update: Finally got to the range today and chronographed the first set of loads using re-formed 375 RUM cases and Woodleigh 450 grain solids. These were shot at 25 yards as a feasibility test. All 5 shots, loaded with H4350 in 2 grain increments from 71-75 grains went into a single cloverleaf. (I'll post the target photo when I can) and recorded MV 1940 (71 g) to 2076 fps (79 g). This is about as expected on the low end but about 100 fps lower than a max load at the top end - no pressure signs - according to the data I got from Woodleigh. Encouraged by the accuracy, although the range is short, and surprised at the very mild recoil from the bench with the factory muzzle brake. The cases extracted perfectly. More tests in a few weeks.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
you should be able to get about 2350 FPS with a 450 gr. Woodleigh IMO. I can get that in my 404 Jefferys, actually more but pressure is right up there at 2400 FPS, still safe but recoil is grim..I am thinking my hunting load will be 2300 FPS. with the 450 gr. bullet. I would guess that 2250 FPS in a 404/Ruger..I have been working on that one for about a year and it will soon be finished so I put my 416 Ruger on the selling block here on 24 hr.

IMO, the Ruger case is better designed for the 400 gr. bullet in both the .416 and the 404 Rugers...but there ain't no flies on the 400 gr. bullet at 2400 FPS and thats a fact.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure I should be able to reach 2250 fps staying at/under 53K PSI. I may push beyond this a bit if pressure signs -primarily ease of extraction in my #1- are absent. I might be tempted to push it further in a bolt, but will take certain extraction in the single loader over another 100 fps MV. I think a 450 grn .423" bullet with an SD = .361 (vs. the .458" 500 grn SD = .341) should penetrate enough to dispose of anything short of (maybe including?) elephant even at 2150-2200 fps. Does that agree with your experience?

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to speak for Ray, but every PH I talked to in Africa had 100% confidence in my .404 to take on anything, with standard 400-gr loads. Uncountable numbers of dangerous game have been killed quite handily with .404's in the hands of game rangers and PH's over the past century or so, and there is no reason to suspect that today's superior bullets and powders have done anything but make it even better.

T-Rex might call for more, but nothing else does grin.

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.