-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Jewell on my target 300 Winnie is set insanely light; I have not measured it yet but wow, it's light. Really helps with hyper-accurate shooting- helps me anyway.

I pulled the Jewell out of my .338 after one season and had Neil Jones work on the original M700 trigger group. I asked him for a 2.5 lb trigger. I love it. In fact it feels almost exactly like my Kimber trigger after some very minor tweaking.

I hear you on the gloves. I don't like shooting with gloves on. My glove liners are chosen partly for being slick so that I can get my main glove OFF my trigger hand fast, and I practice getting that sucker off.

I could be happy with a 3.5-lb trigger but a 2.5 makes me happier <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
3.25 lb

Hunt big game in bad conditions long enough and the lighter weights will let you down sooner or later. IMHO

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jeff: The light triggers can be a joy at the range,but can bite under the rough and tumble of big game hunting.Too many guys confuse the subleties and nuances of target shooting with big game hunting IMHO.I'll take 2.5# on a varmint rifle if it's safe,but 3.5 is more like it;toltec and I are in the same range.So long as it's crisp, consistent,and predictable,you should have no problem with 3.5#.

I would not want a trigger lighter than 4# on a dangerous game rifle;and apologies to those who disagree but you cannot run fast enough to give me a Jewel trigger in exchange for an original M70 trigger on a big game rifle.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
jeff: The light triggers can be a joy at the range,but can bite under the rough and tumble of big game hunting.Too many guys confuse the subleties and nuances of target shooting with big game hunting IMHO.I'll take 2.5# on a varmint rifle if it's safe,but 3.5 is more like it;toltec and I are in the same range.So long as it's crisp, consistent,and predictable,you should have no problem with 3.5#.

I would not want a trigger lighter than 4# on a dangerous game rifle;and apologies to those who disagree but you cannot run fast enough to give me a Jewel trigger in exchange for an original M70 trigger on a big game rifle.
Well said..

Hunting deer in northern TAX HELL WISCONSIN when the temps are running anywhere from zero to -30, standing and/or walking through the woods you WILL have gloves on and with stiff, cold fingers you won't have a lot of feeling left to judge how much pressure you're putting on that trigger.

Warm-weather varmint and/or target shooting is a whole 'nuther story and putting a Jewell on won't hurt a thing..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most folks don't realize that there's more to a model 70 trigger job than simply swapping to a Jewell or adjusting the screw on the factory trigger.

The model 70 trigger(old style) is the best trigger for big game and most varmint work that was ever devised, but it requires a lot of knowledge to make them sing. I'd imagine that near 99% of all Model 70 shooters out there haven't tripped the trigger on one that was done right. If they had, they'd save their money and not buy Jewells.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Great,
Send my your M-70 triggers, I'll buy a couple...

The M-70 trigger is the best trigger ever put on a bolt action sporter..If you want it tuned its a snap to do.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Most folks don't realize that there's more to a model 70 trigger job than simply swapping to a Jewell or adjusting the screw on the factory trigger.
How true!

The model 70 trigger(old style) is the best trigger for big game and most varmint work that was ever devised, but it requires a lot of knowledge to make them sing. I'd imagine that near 99% of all Model 70 shooters out there haven't tripped the trigger on one that was done right. If they had, they'd save their money and not buy Jewells.
Exactly.. Which is why I'm not happy the 'new' M70 doesn't have the 'old' trigger...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As for the new M70s, I'm hoping Matt will come up with a retro-fit.

Why am I suggesting Matt? No reason other than you have to start somewhere and he has a pretty good handle on M70 workings.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by triggerguard1

Matt: Very true,and well stated.I was with my 75 year old buddy, Bernie,at the range this evening and he showed me a Palma Match rifle that holds our club record,shot by Bernie with this pre64 M70, Hart barrel.The trigger is original;he says he had not shot this rifle much; it only has 12,000 rounds through it. His other over-the-course rifle has seen some use;he figured about 36-38,000 rounds.Trigger is original.

I watched Bernie punch out several one-hole groups of 5-7 shots each today.If a jewel trigger can improve on that,I'd like to see it. grin Many triggers would be rubble after that much abuse.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Amen! and they don't load up with debris like a lot of them.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.