Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thank-you, Sir. Living in the hinterland up here, it is sometimes a little difficult to get the components and information that you either want, like, or need.

And I am one of the few Canuckians that rarely if ever use "eh", huh? wink

Again, thanks. Not looking for a hunting load, just a practice load. I don't like to see purplish-yellow bruises on my wife.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

HR IC

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
In the two calibers I worked with using Bluedot I found the accuracy load close to the top of Seafire's recommended max. I know every rifle is different but that was the case in both of mine.

My 12 year old daughter had no problem with the 130 grain 308 loads and shot them well with no flinching. I was, and will continue to be amazed at how well the Bluedot loads shot out of a barrel that appeared to have lost it's accuracy. They shot better than when it was in top form.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Hey Seafire,

How did you get started with Blue Dot? Where did you decide what load to start with?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Look for Seafire Blue Dot data on the web.
Accurate Reloading Forums had listings of several different calibers he worked up with Blue Dot.

I made a loading to match Remington's "Reduced Recoil" using Hornady 130 bullet and 2?.? of Blue Dot. Quick load says I should be getting about 2400 fps and there is little recoil.

13.5 grains of 2400 and a 115 cast boolit will give one about
1550 fps (chronographed data) and one hole at 50 yards for 5 shots.

I would suggest a few hundred rounds of unique or 2400 or similar powder under a light cast boolit sized about 0.309- 0.310" with good ear protection.

As some one said above be EXTRA careful with the highly reduced loads as some could be a TRIPLE charge and easily fit in a case. That is the beauty of Sefire's loads with Blue Dot, a double charge will be easily detected.

Good luck and if you get to shooting an accurate cast boolit load with reduced charges you may find "plinking " with the aught six to actually be fun

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Just a quick update. I loaded some Hornady 150 gr FB bullets with 20 gr of Blue dot and seated them to the cannelure. Took them out today and was able to hold minute of pop can at 35 yards off hand. That's just what I wanted for my wife.

I also tried some 134 gr RNL GC bullets with 22 gr of AA5744, and they also held real well. Minute of pop can again at 35 yards. Less recoil with th AA5744 and the lead bullet that the Blue Dot load with the 150 grainer, but they were both real sweet.

Thanks to those who contributed. Got what I was looking for . . . . . . AGAIN! wink

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
The Nosler Ballistic tip would be a GREAT bullet in these applications, due to it being able to open up at low velocities and be deadly on game. I prefer Round Nose bullets or bullets like Speers Mag Tip also in reduced loads.
Honorable mention will go to 170 grain 30/30 bullets from multiple manufacturers that were design to work in this velocity ranges.

Accuracy with all weights were exceptional.

Seafire - sorry for the necro-post, but your findings really interest me! Have you ever tried Berger hunting bullets with these mild Blue Dot loads? I figure they were designed to open up at quite low velocity so they should work ok, no? The added benefit is the slightly flattened trajectory and higher retained energy. It seems to me that such a combo would be a winner.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't tried the Berger admittedly.. but if you have some, I am sure a local tree or two would give you the info you are looking for.. I typically look for what the exit looks like on a diameter of 10 inches or so of wood....

if I have a big exit, with wood blown into strips about 6 to 8 inches above and below the exit hole, then I consider that good to go..

yesterday I was testing some 90 grain ballistic tips, with an MV of 3400 fps, into a pine or two at 100 yds....all I can say is WOW!!! now I have to evaluate if the load might be too quick, and result into a lot of blood shot meat on a blacktail..

would definitely take down a good sized cow elk...or a black bear of good size... the exit looked like the back of the pine had been hit with a rocket launcher...

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Just for additional information, my old Dupont Handloader's Guide lists the 150 gr. bullet in the '06 with a maximum of 31 grs. of SR 4759, 30 grs. for IMR 4227 and 38 grs. for IMR 4198. Velocities run 2365 fps for 4759, 2310 fps. for 4227 and 2600 fps. for 4198. All of these are maximum loads at 50,000 CUP. E

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Suprised no one yet has said anything about Trialboss yet it does work well for many

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Trail Boss duplicates black powder loads, or around 1200 to 1300 fps max...its a bulky alternative to Unique.

Blue Dot will duplicate 30/30 velocities in a lot of calibers say from 257 Roberts and up, with deer bullets commonly used..

SR 4759 will give you a little more...

4227 is most accurate with 223 sized cases on down, same as 2400..

4198 kinda picks up where 4759 starts topping out..

all are good for reduced recoil and reduced velocity, yet can be loaded up to say the pressures used in old per 1898 Mausers...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seafire - how do the gr/cc compare of SR 4759, Blue Dot, and 4198 compare? I'm going to try and find some accurate ~2400-2600fps loads in my 7mm RM and .30-06 using 120-150gr jacketed bullets. I noted your Blue Dot loads from the 7mm RM thread, and they look pretty darned good.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Heres another question on this subject. My 8yr old son wants to shoot "Daddys" 30.06
I have some Speer 110gr RN Carbine bullets and Unique and Hercules 2400. Blue dot is nowhere to be found here right now.
Just looking for something that will punch holes in paper at 50yds and maybe armadillos or coyotes one day
What would be a good load for this?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great topic, thanks for all the load info!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd try some of the cast bullet data for those powders. Just keep in mind that you should be very careful approaching the maximum listed loads for them. Cast lead bullets generate, usually, less pressure than jacketed bullets.
For Unique with a 122 gr. cast bullet, starting load is 13 grs. for 1824 and max is 18 grs. for 2207 fps.
For 2400, starting load is 18 grs. for 1685 fps. and max is 32 grs. for 2617 fps.
Frankly, since maximum for a 110 gr. jacketed bullet with IMR 4227 is also 32 grs., I'd stay away from the maximum load listed here with 2400. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Let’s get this topic going again. Found a sweet deal on a Browning AB-3 in ‘06. I like the A-Bolts. I have one in 7mm-08 that shoots lights out. I tore the ‘06 down for a good scrubbing, ran some J-B bore paste through the scummy barrel and mounted a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 in Talley Lightweights. Found some Blue Dot at my LGS and a box of Sierra 110 gr HPs on a shelf of my loading bench. Here is the result of ten rounds at 27.0 grains. I’ll take it! (I’m blaming the two flyers to the right on the AR-10 with muzzle brake at the next bench to my left.)
Have fun!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mr Chongo...

keep your max charge weight with Blue Dot in the 06 at 25 grains...

Blue Dot and other pistol and shot gun powders DO NOT have the same characteristics as rifle powder. Learned this after a lot of load development... like in the way 10s of thousands...

Max charge for a 110 grain Bullet or a 180 grain bullet I recommended the max at 25. At times it will be fine over that charge and other times NOT. I am sure there are a lot of variables as why. Just experience speaking as I have pushed Blue Dot beyond the limits to find out what those are... and then recommend a lower charge that I've found to be reliable each and every time.

I've got some rifles I have shot thousands upon thoughts of Blue Dot loads thru, especially varmint calibers. Some summers I have shot as many as 8000 Blue Dot loads at sage rats for a season. 5000 plus has been the average. I burn a ton of Blue Dot and still do... Never wore out a barrel and I've got a couple of 223 bolt actions ( all I shoot ) that have 20K, some 25K and some 30 K down the barrel all with Blue Dot loads, and they can still hold minute of sage rat ( or minute of pop can or pop bottle) if you're back east and have no idea what a sage rat is... ( I'm from back east, Virginia )

Keep in those boundaries I've listed and tested plenty times... and you'll be just fine...

also, charge a case and then seat a bullet, before going onto the next one... if you get interrupted and you're in the middle of charging a case, empty the powder out and turn it upside down. Don't leave the load bench in the middle of charging a case. That has not worked out real well for others... it has blown up a rifle or two over the years....

but doing it my way.. never a problem...its your rifle and your head... so chose wisely is what I usually tell folks.

other than that its economical, fun and stretches lives of barrels and rifles out dramatically.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
Mr Chongo...

keep your max charge weight with Blue Dot in the 06 at 25 grains...

Blue Dot and other pistol and shot gun powders DO NOT have the same characteristics as rifle powder. Learned this after a lot of load development... like in the way 10s of thousands...

Max charge for a 110 grain Bullet or a 180 grain bullet I recommended the max at 25. At times it will be fine over that charge and other times NOT. I am sure there are a lot of variables as why. Just experience speaking as I have pushed Blue Dot beyond the limits to find out what those are... and then recommend a lower charge that I've found to be reliable each and every time.

I've got some rifles I have shot thousands upon thoughts of Blue Dot loads thru, especially varmint calibers. Some summers I have shot as many as 8000 Blue Dot loads at sage rats for a season. 5000 plus has been the average. I burn a ton of Blue Dot and still do... Never wore out a barrel and I've got a couple of 223 bolt actions ( all I shoot ) that have 20K, some 25K and some 30 K down the barrel all with Blue Dot loads, and they can still hold minute of sage rat ( or minute of pop can or pop bottle) if you're back east and have no idea what a sage rat is... ( I'm from back east, Virginia )

Keep in those boundaries I've listed and tested plenty times... and you'll be just fine...

also, charge a case and then seat a bullet, before going onto the next one... if you get interrupted and you're in the middle of charging a case, empty the powder out and turn it upside down. Don't leave the load bench in the middle of charging a case. That has not worked out real well for others... it has blown up a rifle or two over the years....

but doing it my way.. never a problem...its your rifle and your head... so chose wisely is what I usually tell folks.

other than that its economical, fun and stretches lives of barrels and rifles out dramatically.
Thanks for chiming in, Seafire! I've read many of your helpful posts on reduced Blue Dot loads. I'm grateful for all of that input.

PS: BTW, I started at 24.0 grains and shot ten rounds each at 24.0, 25.0, 26.0 and 27.0. Accuracy was best at 27.0, with no pressure signs at any level.

Last edited by mrchongo; 06/26/23. Reason: Add PS

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've shot hundreds of cast bullet loads in my .35 Whelen using Unique, it is very accurate. Don't see why it would not work as well in .30-06, it would be my powder of choice for a plinking load.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've shot hundreds of cast bullet loads in my .35 Whelen using Unique, it is very accurate. Don't see why it would not work as well in .30-06, it would be my powder of choice for a plinking load.
I have loaded '06 with 150 grain Berry's plated as well as 173 grain FNGC cast over 14-16 grains of Unique. Great fun! I have some 200 grain .359" RNGC that I could feed to my M98 .35 Whelen. Care to suggest a suitable Unique load?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.