Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have thought about cleaning my rifles with JB's bore paste in an attempt to polish the barrel so it fouls less. Directions mention something to the effect of 60 strokes. Will this dammage a barrel. Will it round off the rifling edges (and is this a bad thing?) And lastly, will JB's essentially hand lapp the barrel or is that something totally different?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope if done according to the instructions! I use it myself often! Handlapping involves a slug cast to the bore usually. Someone please correct me if you disagree!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JB's is a polish, so if you use it as per the directions, you will only do good things for your bore. I suppose that you could Fup the the edges of the lands if you worked at it, I doubt that working it by hand with a cleaning rod will damage a bore. I like JB's and then a finish polish with Flitz.

Jeff

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What about David Tubbs final finish bullets?

http://www.jarheadtop.com/article_finalfinish.html

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tubb's final finish is a different realm,

WAY more AGRESSIVE,.....

RatherB,...we have a digitally enhanced ( magnified) bore scope in my neighborhood,.....takes a "Hawkeye" up to 38 power or such.

ALL barrels look like a gravel road at that power,....I mean the BEST barrels

260 is givin' you the straight skinny,.....used right,....you'll not hurt your barrel with JB.

BORE GUIDE,.......and proper rod / jag combo assumed.

Been using it since 1977,.....no complaints,.....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would never consider using the Tubbs system in any of my barrels.
But, for factory rifle barrels that are not lapped by the barrel maker, I do a JB Bore Paste scrub on all of them, with excellent results. I have some amazing targets that I've shot to verify what I say.
For aftermarket barrels that are lapped by the barrel maker, like Hart, Shilen, Krieger and others, I don't do anything to them but shoot them; they don't need any bore polishing. You get the maker's JB scrub in the price of the barrel.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Precisely what DMB said. That's what I do, the results speak for themselves. Just feel JB in your fingers, you'll feel it's a very, very fine polish and will NOT embed in your bore. When you're scrubbing with it, you'll almost "feel" the barrel "roll over" and your effort in subsequent strokes will be reduced. Then go ahead and clean it as normal and notice how smooth the bore feels. That's because it's now polished! YMMV
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've been using Ultra Brite toothpaste the past couple of years. Every grocery store has it and its much cheaper.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another poster, I believe it was Sitka Deer, said that the abrasive in JB compound was something called Rotten Stone, a very mild abrasive used by wood workers to get a high finish on wood finishes.

Or, he could have said Pumice, another fine abrasive used for the same purpose as above. One of the other, I think.

The abrasive should not be aggressive enough to harm barrel steel.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The abrasive in JB's breaks down sizewise while being used. IIRC it's pumice. Precision Shooting had a good article about JB's a few years back.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Rem Clean use the same type of abrasive as JB or are they different?
Both seen to act similar as far as cleaning my bores, and I know both are some type of abrasive, I just assume different carriers?

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Joe I'd have check if I still have the magazine and re-read the article to give you an answer. It covered the differences between pumice, aluminum oxide and silicon carbide abrasives.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
Does Rem Clean use the same type of abrasive as JB or are they different?
Both seen to act similar as far as cleaning my bores, and I know both are some type of abrasive, I just assume different carriers?

They bought the old "gold medal" product - same thing. If that helps.

I'm not sure what grit level Tubb's uses but I've firelapped older barrels to help mitigate fouling caused by a frosted bore. It worked - I did this after reading John B's article on the method. It halved the groups I was getting from my 1895 Winchester (30-40) and reduced the fouling. Still fouls pretty quickly, but I can get some good groups in before it has any affect - and its now a better hunter.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Joe I'd have check if I still have the magazine and re-read the article to give you an answer. It covered the differences between pumice, aluminum oxide and silicon carbide abrasives.

AJ,

What issue of PS was the article in?

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don, July 2005. Article is by Fred Barker.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Don, July 2005. Article is by Fred Barker.

AJ,

Thanks,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
USP BORE PASTE� AND USP GUN CLEANING OIL�

United States Products Co. has many years of product experience in cleaning bores and enhancing accuracy for all types of firearms.

We started as far back as the 1950�s when Warren Page, the editor of Field and Stream Magazine, contacted us to develop a bore cleaner. The result of that contact was J-B Bore Cleaner, an excellent product that had a strong and loyal base in the precision shooting field.

Then in 1985 Ferris Pindell, ten time world benchrest champion, called and asked us to develop a non-toxic, liquid bore cleaner. The result of that request was a new custom product called Gold Medallion, which imparted excellent characteristics and now is marketed as Remington Bore Cleaner.

In 1996, Clay Spencer, a well-known gun master from Virginia contacted us to re-introduce our original J-B formula because he was notified that J-B no longer was available (see letter). The result of that exchange is USP Bore Paste� � �The Original Formula.�

To enhance the effectiveness of USP Bore Paste�, we developed a sister product called USP Gun Cleaning Oil�. This is available individually or with USP Bore Paste� in a convenient combo pack.

NOTE:

To my valued customers,

I regret to inform you due to physical problems and other conditions beyond my control, J-B BORE CLEANER will no longer be available.

I wish to thank you for your patronage through out the years.

Respectfully yours,
Jim Brobst

Jim Brobst is the "JB" in the name.

http://www.us-products.com/borepaste/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used it myself numerous times to clean out a 10/22 with a leading prob. Did not hurt the accuracy of the gun at all.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
which is more abrasive the bore paste or the red bore polish?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just an aside, I was considering using JB paste to try and work out a burr that Remington left in the mouth of the chamber of my 300 WM... however it explicitly says on the tube NOT to polish a chamber with it.

I guess it makes the chamber too slippery, and the case doesn't "stick" to it upon expansion, and bolt thrust is increased.

Just FYI...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 17 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.