Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
this is a symbolance of a type D trade gun with a fancy stock .
probably it would be more correctly described as an Board of ordinance piece

it has no rear sight only a blade frount sight

Well today was the day for my customer to pick this up . So we spent the day sighting it in for him and then just throwing lead .

What a great after noon .

Right from the get go she held a 2 inch group at 25 yards . Even at 50 she was clover leafing from the bench so we did some off hand shooting .
If anyone has or had any doubt about how well a smooth bore can group, this should dispel it . Even at 75 yards the group was still under 6 inches . while fred has alot of exsperiance with muzzleloaders , this was his first flinlock . i would have to say he did very well

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a shot of the wrist

[Linked Image]

the new owner

[Linked Image]

first 3 shots at 25 yards

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/gun%20stock%20artical/storm015.jpg[/img]

target shot off hand at 50 and 75 yards . 18 shots
top 10 are at 50 yards . lower center as well as bottom flier is at 75

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/gun%20stock%20artical/storm016-1.jpg[/img]

MAN!!! you just gotta love a smooth bore

Cal 62
load = 70 grains 2F goex . . 1 soft wad . .600rb , 1 over the shot card to hold it in place .
at no time was a patch RB used in the above targets

Last edited by captchee; 09/14/08.

[Linked Image]
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
OH and we put 75 rounds through her today without running one single cleaning patch LMAO

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
that's GREAT shooting for a smooth pipe, and good looking wood too!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Beautiful work! My congratulations on a job well done.

Yep, smoothbores will shoot better than most people would believe. Many moons ago, I built a repro of an original Pennsylvania rifle that's been in the family since new. I had the barrel maker leave it un-rifled (.50cal.) until after the gun was finished just to see how it would shoot (the original is un-rifled, whether from new or not I couldn't say). Got results like you did. Then I sent it back and had it rifled.

Large percentage of original "Pennsylvania Rifles" were left un-rifled, or so I've heard. Makes for a much handier gun for wilderness use- more choice in projectiles (ball, buck and ball, shot), plus quicker reloading capability when the chips were down (naked ball directly on top of powder, or musket-style pre-rolled paper cartridges). Just my $.02 worth.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
well gnoahhh not completely accurate. The Pennsylvania rifles were rifles . Much different then a fowler , fusil or musket . Most had a completely different shape as swell .
Now there were also smooth rifles . Basically these were smoothbores with rear sights . While these could be used as a fowler , they were more designed to be used with RB and many times heavier in the barrel . Where true dedicated fowlers were often times lighter in the barrel .
No that�s not a hard fast rule as there are examples that crises cross that .
There also is a myth that trade guns did not carry rear sights . This also isn�t true . There are as many surviving examples with some type of rear sight as without .

What im getting at here is just because a rifle is a full stock , that doesn�t make it a Pennsylvania . The same can be said for a piece made in Pennsylvania being a full stock yet not a rifle .
But there is no doubt that the smooth bore out numbered rifles well past the 1800 simply because it was a more utilitarian weapon . A seasoned smoothbore shooter can hold his own with a rifle well into the 100 yard range , but it takes skill and time to learn the rifle and its required loads , to do so .
Myself , I find that at ranges out to 50 yards , they are very comparable to a rifle , especially when equipped with rear sights

[Linked Image]
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I should have been clearer. When I said "Pennsylvania rifle" I should have said "smooth rifle." I got a wonderful tutorial on the subject from Wallace Gussler at Williamsburg many years ago.

The family heirloom (we're originally from Pa.) in my possesion is an N. Beyer .48cal.(smooth)rifle.

I also once had fun with a Navy Arms Brown Bess. I played with paper thickness (for cartridges) and ball diameters until I hit the right combination for accuracy and reasonable number of shots between cleaning. Pretty amazing accuracy out to about 50yds., with useful accuracy at 100 (minute of chest cavity there). Like you said, it takes time and dilligence but smoothbores can be very accurate.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/16/08.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.