Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Violated one of my personal rules and got some wicked scratches on my hunting rig 3 payments before I have the title. My wife's car wax doesn't seem to be removing them and without going to a rubbing compound, any recommendations are appreciated. I have a full hunting slate the next 8 weeks and am thinking a good coat of wax may help branches slide down the sides better.

Did see a 190 class typical mule deer tucked away in a little canyon and met a really nice local who shared some great information. It will be worth it if my son can get a crack at that bruiser in October. Let me know what has worked for you on the scratches.

GB2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Try the Meguires claybar kit. Dunno how bad the scratches are but it will help it.

I am using the Meguirest NXT paste wax on my rig and not only does it cover up the scratches but its also a thicker wax and seems to fend off alot of the brush scratches

W
W

Last edited by wapiti_whacker; 09/06/08.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here�s a quick and dirty run down on exterior detailing:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Optional wash again
4. Paint correction (polish, compound)
5. Last stage protectant (wax or sealant)

Washing obviously removes loose dirt/mud etc. Clay removes things left on top of your paint such as tree sap, overspray, rail dust, or other paint contaminates. Contrary to popular belief it does NOT remove scratches.

Depending on the severity of the scratches they can possibly be removed with a compound or a polish. The difference between the two is the amount by which it �cuts�; the finer of the two is the polish. If you�re removing the scratches by hand, I�ve had somewhat good results with Meguiar�s Scratch X which you can find usually at Wal Mart and the like. Now, here�s where it gets expensive. You could hire a professional detailer to two step your exterior for somewhere in the neighborhood of $125-$200 depending on the size of your vehicle and be done with it. However, if you have a lot of scratches and you like to DIY, buy a Porter Cable random orbital. It�s basically fool proof as it�s difficult to damage your paint with one versus a rotary which can easily burn your paint. It will run you about $150 by the time you get the unit, pads, and pad attachment. Seriously, this is the area that makes or breaks your detail job. You want to spend the bulk of your time on this step. The machine makes it so much easier than doing it by hand.

My favorite polish for machine use is made by Optimum. It�s called Optimum Polish, and it is a polish when used on a light foam pad, but it doubles as a light compound when used with an aggressive foam pad on the random orbital. Optimum is mail order only unless you have a detail shop close by that carries it.

Finally, after you correct your paint, you choose between a wax or a sealant. I�m not going to get into a carnauba vs. sealant look debate, but there�s no question an acrylic sealant outlasts a wax by a large margin in both UV protection and water beading ability. Again, it�s difficult to find good products sold locally, especially at the discount stores. I like Zaino Z-2 Pro, and it applies so sparingly that one bottle lasts a long time. If you�re absolutely dead set on buying locally, the Duragloss #105 sold at Carquest is the best choice.

Hope this helps, sorry it isn�t a simple answer to make your vehicle look good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No scratches on a hunting rig? For real?

Next you guys will be worried about dulling a blade by skinning something. (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We don't call them scratches. That is Oklahoma pin stripping.
Nature's Body Shop does the best custom work. Much better than the work done in the local Walmart parking lot.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Scratches, I don't see know stiiiiinking scratches. A hunting rig is not complete without them.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
True. However if ya keep up on 'em the truck looks nice for alot longer (learned all about that on my last rig)

Of course ya could just have my mentality. I wash and wax the truck to relax after a bad day at work. That started the insanity. Pretty soon you have a collection of cleaning products. And an even large collection of cleaning products that you used once, didnt like and now have them collecting dust.

I'm down to just the bare essentials now grin. However I might narrow it down a lil more. The armorall crap is next to go.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 09/18/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.