24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I bought a marlin 30/30 for my son today. I got it from a co-worker who told me he hasnt put more than 300 rds total through it, and has never had this happen to him.
I was cleaning it tonight, getting ready for the range tomorrow, and the lever stuck open. It doesnt move at all. I have read several threads, and it seems the common fix is to tighten the screw #27 for the loading spring. However mine does not seem to be loose. I checked the other screws and they are tight as well.

Any help would be welcomed!

Chris

FIRE MILLEN
BP-B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I was just about to recomend the loading gate screw when I saw the title of the thread. Did you take the gun apart when you were cleaning it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would remove the lever pivot screw and then withdraw the bolt to the rear if I could, then inspect the interior, especially the ejector installation inside the left receiver wall, then the locking lug - which should be "down", out of the bolt's travel path.

If you can't get the bolt out, it'll need to come apart - remove the rear tang screw/buttstock, and drop the bottom unit via removing the screws at the action front bottom and sides - after relieving the mainspring pressure on the hammer.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing that the ejector is jammed - not fully seated when the bolt was installed? That could bind things up pretty quick.

I'd check that - the little nub of the ejector should be in place when you look at the left side of the receiver - if it's not, that would be the problem.

I'd take the lever out as described above and insert a wooden dowel down through the muzzle and tap the bolt back out of the action - carefully. Of course, taking it apart will show better what's going on so that is a very good idea.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all good advice but before proceeding, make sure the hammer hasn't slipped up and is binding the bolt.

if it has pull the hammer back and close the lever

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1ak, OT but I just have to comment on your comment:

"some folks that can't make a compelling argument, enjoy pointing out typos, errors of grammar and spelling oversights. I add as many as possible to accomodate.'

Bad spelling, like eating with your elbows on the table, means nothing if you don't know any better. But, when you do, IT'S FUN! smile

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all responses, I was able to fix the problem!
Here is what I believe caused the issue:

I did not take the gun apart when cleaning it, but I think I may have swabbed the loading gate with the lever open causing
the bind.
I cut a notch in a dowel rod near the end. I then went through the ejection port and used the notch to pull upward firmly and relieved the pressure on the loading gate. Once the rod was removed I was able to close the lever, then I could tell the
loading gate lever screw was loose! After tightening it up,
we got her sighted in, and now all is well.

Thanks again for everyones help!

FIRE MILLEN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glad to hear you got it resolved, a boy needs his rifle

burn up some ammo!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
759 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.