Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
If so,

What boolit do you use?

I'm aware that many molds are available to cast bullets for paper-patching.

NEI
Lee
RCBS
Saeco
and Lyman /Ideal , are companies I'm familiar with - to whatever degree.

NEI offers a .304 caliber 208 or 209 grain bullet mold, but does that bullet have to be resized before "patching" it? If so, I couldn't find anywhere a top punch for .304 caliber.

The bullets I'm actually interested in paper-patching would be for the .30-30, .308 Win and .30-06, in the 180grain size. But any bullets in that weight that resemble the Lyman #311041 mold are much too big to be 'patched' without resizing them.

But how does one get them small enough to paper-patch?

Thanks for any input. wink

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't paper patch, but some who do, will size them to say .308 in the sizer, then patch them and cover with lube of some sort then run through the sizer again that they want them to.

Most who shoot a .308 are looking for a .309 or .311 dia bullet as the final outcome.

So sizing to .308 then patching up the .311 is not a problem but actually desired.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you, Blammer. I'll check out that method.

Do you know what kind paper is used? And where it can be found?

I have a booklet by Paul Matthews on paper patching boolits, but he talks mostly .45 or slightly smaller calibers. Not .308 or smaller.

Also Blammer, do you know what kind of lube (or mixture) is used on "bullet paper?"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bullet paper.

Most that I hear of talking about bullet paper use good grade "typing" paper. they take a mic with them an measure what they are looking for.

as far as lube, some use "water" to wet the paper to help in the rolling process, then after it drys use as is or some use "speed green" or any general lead bullet sizing lube. No lube in particular, just onest that are good for rifle loads and the velocity they are using.

I'd suggest heading over to castboolits.com and checking that forum out. Lots of paper patchers and casters there.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by blammer
bullet paper.

Most that I hear of talking about bullet paper use good grade "typing" paper. they take a mic with them an measure what they are looking for.

as far as lube, some use "water" to wet the paper to help in the rolling process, then after it drys use as is or some use "speed green" or any general lead bullet sizing lube. No lube in particular, just onest that are good for rifle loads and the velocity they are using.

I'd suggest heading over to castboolits.com and checking that forum out. Lots of paper patchers and casters there.

Thanks Blammer. The typing paper, cotton bond of some kind, sounds very similar to what Matthew's in his booklet ("The Paper Patch") recommends, although his paper sounds really thick!

As for lube and wetting the 'patches,' no doubt experimentation and trial and error are called for.

Appreciate it, Blammer. wink

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Try teflon tape instead of paper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
all I've spoke with about paper patching say teflon is something neat to fool with but really doesnt work that well.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by blammer
all I've spoke with about paper patching say teflon is something neat to fool with but really doesnt work that well.

You've spoken to the wrong people.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
please feel free to add your experience rather than try to belittle others.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Already said,..

But to go into some detail,..

Typical Lee Enfield barrels are oversize,..usually measuring somewhere around .316" groove diameter,..which makes them excellent candidates for patching projects involving typical .308 cast bullets.

My particular favorite bullet for such a project is the RCBS 30-180 FN. The 30-180 FN has a bearing surface of approximately 1/2",..which is the same as the width of standard teflon tape.

I found that 6 tight wraps of teflon tape would bring the diameter of a .308" bullet up to about .317".

The bullets were not sized,..either before or after the application of the tape. A gas check was crimped on with a .309 sizer die but the bullet was only inserted into the die far enough to crimp on the gas check.

Alloy used was quenched wheelweights.

I fabricated 2 dies to assist the loading procedure. One flared the mouth of the case and the other essentially resized the case neck after the teflon taped bullet had been seated. It was open at the top and the bullet projected through the top of it as the die took the flare out of the case neck.

The bullets were seated to a depth which placed the base of the bullet flush with the bottom of the .303 case neck.

Rifle powder was used to minimize deformation of the bullet upon ignition,..H4350. The charge selected would produce 2000 fps with the heavy .30 cal bullet. (about 190 grains when cast from WW alloy).

I never scoped the rifle, but it would consistently group the load into 3" at 100 yards using the issue tangent sights and my eyes. (jacketed loads wouldn't do any better)

I often fired 150 rounds or more a session and never experienced a loss of accuracy from barrel leading. When cleaning the barrel, I would only encounter an oily, black residue.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bristoe:

Interesting post. I have approximately 1000 .38 semi wadcutter bevel base 158 gr.lubricated bullets sized .357. I got them at a gun show at a very reasonable price. I have tried them in a Ruger single action and a Marlin 1894C lever. The loads used were fairly mild using Unique and HS-6. Accuracy was not good. The mentioned loads had worked very well with the same pattern and weight bullets but were sized .358/.359. Have you had any experience loading pistol; bullets using teflon tape? To me it sounds as though it may be a good and cheap fix. Otherwise I have on hand a bunch of bullets not doing me any good and probably poor trading material.

Have a fruitful and rewarding day.

Roundup

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Can't say that I have,... but it would be easy enough to circle them with 2 or 3 wraps of teflon tape and give it a try.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have P/P .308 for my .303 sporter for years.It works and is a lot of work to complete,but keeps me off the street.I am paper patching my Ruger .450/400 now.I use the 'tracing' paper,about 9lbs.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

578 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.