Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Folks:

This is the place to ask John Barsness (aka Mule Deer) questions about his monthly exclusive column for 24hourcampfire. This month's article is entitled, "The .300 Weatherby."

If you have not read it and would like to, you can SIGN UP HERE to receive John's column every month.

Thanks, John!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
First of all, I couldn't get to the topic, "Ask John about the 300 Weatherby" so am making this one. Finally someone has rediscovered the 300 WBY! Thank you Mr. Barsness. I must say I have never owned one, but have shot a few in the Mark V and Vangard, and also in a Winchester Classic. The Weatherby's have all been as accurate as John has said and IMO easy to shoot. I was actually surprised by the lack of recoil. The Winchester was borrowed to shoot a mule deer at approximately 200 yards in a high wind situation. Thanks again

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I own a 300 Wby barrel for my Encore. As you say it is very easy to shoot. It is highly accurate and not many critters escape its terminal knock-out punch. With its very effective muzzle brake it is like shooting a 7mm-08.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I truely have fallen in love withmy Vanguard 300 Wthby. A 200 grain bullet at over 3000 fps is an amazing hunting tool.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
In my opinion, the .300 Weatherby cannot be beat.

Mine delivers 4000 foot pounds, has a point blank range of 300 yards with 180 grain Partitions, holds four rounds, shoots to 1.0 MOA, and weighs only 6 3/4 pounds plus scope and sling.

Nothing else--not a RUM, a .338, a WSM, or whatever--can do all that.

Recoil is acceptable if you work with it. I do not use muzzle brakes. My last eleven kills have each been 1-shot kills, ranging from 150 pound Impala to a 5000 pound Hippo (yes, the latter had been wounded with a .458, but died with the first Wby. shot).

I would not hesitate to use this rifle on Alaska Brown Bear with appropriate loads, or on African Cape Buffalo if it were legal.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a Hunter,
What article are you referring to? I'd like to see it as well. Thanks.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Campfire Newsletter I got as an e-mail.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys:

I'm going to move this thread to the "Ask John" thread. I fixed the link. wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rick:

Thanks to both you and JB for this monthly column. It's great.

Just curious, and I have no complaints, but how come it's not on the home page with the other pieces? Or is this a new thing you're trying out? Or have you just given up on the regulars ever seeing the home page after having bookmarked the forum pages? smile

- Tom

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We're working on a new set of articles for the Home Page. We're evolving the system and working on various options.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Rick,
If I have never taken the time before to say thanks for the campfire. More and more I find it is the place where I wind down after a long day of work.

I appreciate it.
Joel

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tell you what...I read every word JB has to offer. Thanks for bringing him on and getting another monthly column out of him.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Rick, great start, thanks! Would suggest a broader range for the 'Ask John ..." column as not all of us are Wby devotees. shocked

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's just the first. If anyone is in tune with the Campfire culture, it's John!

I think you'll like the next one. I have it in my possession, but wild horses ... wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where is this column? I must be missing it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Calif. Hunter; 10/01/08.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I look forward to these columns and I'm glad to have JB on the 'fire. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
Where is this column? I must be missing it?

Thanks!

Ditto. I went to the home page & couldn't find it.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2465259/page/1#Post2465259

Click on the link, and you'll find a link to the column.

rb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
John, I've always been puzzled by the frequently published claims - not alluding to your writings - that the 300 Wby can drive bullets of equal weight and type to MVs equal to or higher than the 300RUM. Given the physics of the 2 cases, the same bullets at equal chamber pressures and barrel lengths would seem to dictate advantage RUM. We might argue lack of practical differences in game performance or trajectory, but IMO not absolute equality in measured performance. I've not tested this hypothesis as I don't shoot the Wby. Is this type of thinking off track?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It probably arises from two sources:

1) Shooters who interpret the higher factory numbers of the Weatherby to mean it's capable of more velocity than the .300 RUM, when in reality the reason is the higher pressure of Wby. factory ammo.

2) Handloaders who feel for some reason the need to defend the .300 Weatherby, and hence load it pretty hot.

Other than that, I dunno. All the laws of internal ballistics say the .300 RUM should be a little faster when loaded to the same pressures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.