Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
other than the bolt release what is different about the Belgian built safari actions over say like an commercial FN sporter like say a jc higgins model 50. the safaris I have looked at sure are nice guns, the actions seem smoother and the gun feels a little tighter than a commercial FN sporter. or maybe its just because the safaris I have looked at have all been in excellent shape

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the Safari actions are push feed while most are the normal long extractor mauser action. Perhaps this will help.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a Model 50 and the trigger is pinned to the trigger guard assembly, not like a conventional trigger.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The action on the safari is/was the supreme or delux (same)

The safari had an adjustable trigger.The action was finished reallly nice all over.
My model 50 had a two piece trigger with the actual trigger pinned to the guard. The action, below the stoick isn't finished as nice as the safari. The safari was considered, by some, the best factory rifle made.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If both are control feed then they are both FNs...The Browning is a better finished rifle with better wood, thats about it..The M-50 is just and FN and its a pretty darn good work gun, and a good gun for a custom rifle project....

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do however like the bolt release on a standard FN better than the Browning version. The FN is more of a normal bolt release. There is a difference in finish between a Sears and a Browning, but the normal FN Deluxe rifles were as nice as a Browning FN. I like the FN action just as well as anything.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You can find the same grade of FN on the ones sold under the FN name as the FN Deluxe. As stated, the Brownings (Safari, Medallion, and Olympian) all used the FN Supreme action. There were a lot of nice custom rifles built off those, too.

I am always running across these things, and full up on them, except for the actions or barreled actions for projects, so if anyone really wants a nice Safari, let me now and I will put it on my list and point you to it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
As stated, the Brownings (Safari, Medallion, and Olympian) all used the .

Unless I am mistaken, they didn't ALL use the FN Supreme action. Some used a Sako push feed action.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Long actions were by FN, shorter actions were Sako. The Husqvarnas before the HVA also had FN actions. The trigger and bolt release were the different aspects of a Browning. All the FN's were nicely made. I agree that the Long Extractor Brownings are among the best rifles mass produced.
dan

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
don't want to hijack the thread but:

what does a decent safari in say 30-06 cost these days? thanks

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hotsoup
don't want to hijack the thread but:

what does a decent safari in say 30-06 cost these days? thanks

an 06 seems to be the easiest to find, prices are kinda all over the map from 7-1400, I saw a beauty in 30-06 for 7 or 900 locally, can't remember, those guns are very very nice. I am kinda on the look out for one for my dad in 270, 270's are a lot more rare. he made some legendary kills with an old FN commercial sporter he bought in the early 50's the rifle was stolen about the time I was born, he basically thinks those fn's have magic powers and wants another one. I think I am going to steer him toward a safari because they all seem so nice

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1964 vintage 30-06 safari went on safari with me and it does have magical powers. Shoots 180 gr TSX like a house on fire!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Just might see if it can kill a whitetail next month.

Last edited by Mississippi; 10/01/08.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here in Florida, Safaris can be had for as little as 500 and up to around 1500.
Mostly depends on condition rather than caliber.

Every day above ground is a good day

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the midst of an extensive article on the Browning High Power rifle series.It was origanaly intended for "Smokelore",but I don't happen to have an Olympian Grade locally I can photo,and the owners of all the good photos on the 'net won't let me use them.

When I finish it I'll just post it here,sans Olympian Grade photos.

They are the highest quality and most accurate out of the box mass produced rifle ever made,IMO.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

They are the highest quality and most accurate out of the box mass produced rifle ever made,IMO.

WB.

Except, perhaps for the "salt stock" rifles? Not trying to be a smart aleck...just pointing out that there were problems with some of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every production rifle ever made has some sort of problem with them.Brownings from 1968-1975 had one of the worst problems of any production gun-salt cured wood.Although you mainly hear about it with the High Powered Rifle Series (in particular the Safari Grade),infact the hardest hit model was the T-Bolt,and Superposed shotguns were right up there as well.T-Bolts took the brunt of it though,and I can honestly say I've seen more salt wood T-Bolts than I have "normal" T-Bolts.

So for the High Powered Rifle series,salt wood is the #1 thing you have to watch out for.The next thing you have to look out for are cracks in the stock-mostly in the trigger guard and upper tang areas.A distant third is "fakes",which are mostly Medallion and Olympians,although Safaris in rare calibers have their own share of fakes.There are a few fake Olympians out there that are so badly done that it's funny.

But salt wood is your #1 concern with these rifles,and most times they are relatively simple to pick out.I mainly look at the recoil lug studs and all around the stock line,mainly near the front reciever ring.If you see rust or tarnishing in these areas,thats a good sign.If the owner/dealer will let you do it,pop the barreled action out of the stock.If there is any rust or corrision,run away.If you have a rifle that is questionable,you take a small chip out of the stock and mail it to Browning.If you don't want to do that,take the chip and put a little silver nitrate on it.If it turns white,you've got a salt gun.

I could go on for hours about this stuff,but I'll save it for the write up.I've personaly delt with 3 salt guns.Every hair brain trick was attempted,and in the end all three ended up getting restocked.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WCB

I bought a FN Browning a few months ago. It's a 3006 Safari and according to the serial number it was made in 1959. The bluing seems to be very uniform and deep? The action feeds and ejects very smoothly and it's very accurate.

One thing I have not seen before is the scope mounts, they are Bueler? Never seen them before although they appear to be fairly robust in their construction and they kind of go with the old Leupold 4x.

The only downside is that the stock was well used and I'm in the process of sanding down and fitting a new one for it.

I'll look forward to reading more about these beasts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Westcoaster,
1959 would make it a first year rifle,and as such,you don't have to worry about salt wood (although you can occasionaly run into one that was restocked at the factory with salt wood later).

Buehler mounts are very nice and fairly common on rifles from the 50's-70's.IIRC Browning factory bases were made by Redfield,which are a little lighter than Buehlers.

Are you looking to refinish your stock or replace it altogether?If you would like to restock it,contact Western Gun Parts out of Alberta.They bought all of Brownings parts in the early 80's.You can get a new stock for your rifle for about $195.

http://www.westerngunparts.com/

WB.

Last edited by WheelchairBandit; 10/01/08. Reason: added link

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Westcoaster,
Buehler mounts were popular back then. There are several variations. Post a picture. They are very strong. The pivoting design lets you align scope without stressing the tube.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a .270 Browning Safari made in 1962. I shot 5 rounds thru the bbl.to sight it in, then stuck it in the safe before leaving for Viet Nam. Somehow, I've just never got around to shooting it again. Got involved with archery, and the guns just sat in the safe.

I pulled it out the other day, took off the old Redfield 3x9, & mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold on it, and one of these days, I'll get out there and sight it in again.

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.