24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL - if you get a chance Ken check out the Buffalo Bill Historical Center museum in Cody, WY.

The firearms collection has a few Colt Revolving Rifles, and more Lee-Enfields than you ever believed were manufactured.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

BP-B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by hawkins
You can always tell a Real Gunwriter when he speaks of;
Wheelguns, Roys & Bobs, And things that are "Woefully
Inadequate".

"The obvious is preferable to the obvious avoidance of it." � H W Fowler, Modern English Usage

Clich�s are a special category of weak, flimsy, lazy expression. There's neither elegance nor eloquence in "elegant variation" from plain, unvarnished English.

Ever read a Louis Lamour western that didn't include prominent mentions of a Colt revolving rifle, Spaniards' armor found in a cave, or English boxing champion Jem Mace?

I've seen one Colt revolving rifle, plus one carried by Arthur Hunnicutt in El Dorado. I figure that the rest of 'em that Colt made all went to Louis Lamour characters.

Roy Rogers carried one inside his guitar in "Return Of Paleface." The one with Bob Hope and Jane Russell. Can't believe you missed it, Ken. It's a classic. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
hawkins,

You might enjoy the introductory essay in my book OBSESSIONS OF A RIFLE LOONY, entitled "Gunwriterese."

Mule Deer I have enjoyed your writings for years, but I have suspicions that you are not a true gun writer. I can't remember you ever using the word "venerable" to describe a cartridge.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey, I once wrote an article with at least a paragraph on searching sporting goods stores for ammo boxes marked "Venerable .30-06"!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm not a true and legitimate gun writer.

I don't remember ever having called the .30-30 "the thutty-thutty," "venerable" or otherwise.

(And of course I've never posted pictures of dead game, neither mine nor anybody else's.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey, hey, I felt a disturbance in the force, and came here because I believe someone has put down Louis L'Amour.
You guys can slag each other off, get racist, get whatever you like, but a man has to draw the line somewhere. (Where's my Colt's revolving rifle...)

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 04/30/12.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've voraciously devoured several dozens of L'Amour's novels, several more than once, some in rapid succession (as fast as I could finish one and start the next one), but even to me, he wasn't quite a demigod.

When you've read him as much as I have, his personal fetishes and idiosyncrasies stand-out like specks of tar on pearls.

"Good enough" isn't.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ken,

I have read, reread and then some of (I believe) every single one of Louis L'Amours novels. Some of the better ones, I have read many times... as in too many to count... smile

But one thing I've always noted... The underdog ALWAYS wins, and ALWAYS gets the pretty girl... Oh! and he ALWAYS wins the inevitable fistfight... smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My b-i-l went through a stage where he confused Mr. L'Amour with God Himself. He convinced me to read one of his novels (knowing that I normally read very, very few novels). I came away with the impression that Mr. L'Amour wrote until he had reached the number of words required by the publisher and then wrapped it up. The one I read wound up (after much detail covering a short period of time) rather abruptly with something like, "One day twenty years later, the Indians caught him by the creek and killed him." I came away less than impressed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've long envied the Peruvian Amahuacas their "no time."

They're "in no time" when they opt to shut their brains off and just sit in a self-chosen trance for a while. That's gotta be restful!

I've always wished that I could turn my brain off � or at least put it to sleep � but the closest that I've ever come is to distract it with something captivating and totally meaningless, like Louis L'Amour westerns. Earlier, Zane Grey and Mickey Spillane offered blessed escape. Likewise "Luke Short" (Fred Glidden) and Earnest Haycox, but they didn't write enough.

So I've read all the Louis L'Amours that I've ever known about. Lost track, long ago, of the titles and what each one's about.

The brain can be a terrrible tyrant.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
with the way dads pass on the .30-06 to their offspring and have for generations, could we call is the Venereal 30-06?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A governer of Ohio introduced President Johnson at an Ohio university with "Welcome to this venereal institution."

"Good enough" isn't.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That was good enough for LBJ, and just about what one can expect from any trip to Ohio.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
If you've never read Louis L'Amour, I suggest:

1. To Tame a Land

2. Reilly's Luck

3. The Daybreakers

4. Guns of the Timberlands

GPerry

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Glad this thread moved away from the subject.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, EL Dorado is one of my all time favorite Duke Wayne's movies. I read a lot, of late I been reading Anton Chekhov, and Leon Uris never disappoints.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"All I know about ballet is that at the intermission the ballerinas all smell like horses." (Anton Chekhov, as well as I can remember it)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read quite a lot of L'Amour as a kid. I always felt that his traditional westerns were pretty much the same book rewritten for publisher's deadlines.

But, when he broke away from his traditional western, he could be quite good. "Down the Long Hills" was a western about two kids stranded on a mountain, and the search to find them. I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed "The Haunted Mesa." He could write, but like many authors, he found his bread and butter (westerns) and kept buttering the bread, I think about three novels a year for a while.

A lot of authors are like that. They need to eat too, and they write what sells, and I can't fault them for that. But, in the middle of the average stuff, there are often a few jewels.

Last edited by 300_savage; 04/30/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one thing that I most admire L'Amour for is his ability to come-up with creative plots. He was a master of imaginative departures from the clich� Western short-story and novel plots.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr. Howell, I agree completely. I just wish he'd have done it more often.

My dad was a very enthusiastic reader. Some excellent books he introduced to me in the western genre that stood out are, "The Man Who Rode Midnight" by Elmer Kelton, "Gopher Dick" by Lee Sage (very hard to find), and "Monte Walsh" by Jack Schaefer. "Monte Walsh" is so different in style from "Shane" that you wouldn't realize they were written by the same author.

Some of the early work by Zane Gray was pretty good too, but he too began writing the same book over and over in later years.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.