Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
How are they different? Is the Kimber action longer or the same size? Does Kimber use a simpler trigger? Are the materials/type of steel about the same? Why would you buy one over the other?

BP-B6

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
jimmy,
I just purchased a 8400, and the store had two of the new m70's in. one in 30.06, one in 270. The 270 had outstanding wood. when comparing though, I though the 70 had weak blue, and the bolt handle appeared to be done in more of a dull blue. The extractor seemed to made of a different metal all together. The stock inletting looked alittle rough. While a pretty gun, it did seem alittle less in quality then the old M70's. Action felt alittle rough. Alot like Pamela Anderson. Nice from a distance, but not as hot as it used to be up close. Also a big gap in the floorplate-to-wood fit. I never opened the box on the Kimber till I got home, but it's pretty much perfect. After this season, I hope to send it to Ric Bin, and liven up the stock alittle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jimmy,

I'll add one of the differences between the two are that the Kimber is a round action, where as the Mod. 70 is flat bottomed. You can think of the Kimber as being similar to a Remmington with a claw extractor, and a Mod. 70 safety.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I did some gun trading this weekend and brought home a new Model 70 in 270 win and a Kimber 84 in 257 Roberts.

The fit and finish on both are very nice,both are smooth in function as well.Comparing the new M70 to one about ten years older: The new Model 70 Featherweight is nicer than the Featherweight Classic in 280 that I bought in the mid 1990s. It has nicer wood,a better finished stock,and the action is smoother right out of the box. The trigger pull is much nicer out of the box on the new M70 as well.

The Kimber is also a nice rifle,better than the three M84s that I bought and got rid of in the first couple of years of production.The wood is nicely done,and the action is smooth right out of the box. The trigger is just as good as my new model 70's,both are close to three pounds and are very crisp.

Both Kimber and Winchester seem to have gotten it togeteher well in their latest guns,I have owned a number of Pre 64 M70s that were not as nice in terms of fit and finish,or smoothness of action and quality of trigger as these new guns.

Kudos to Kimber and Winchester.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tagabuck
Alot like Pamela Anderson. Nice from a distance, but not as hot as it used to be up close.

Good stuff right there. grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Also a big gap in the floorplate-to-wood fit. I never opened the box till I got home, but it's pretty much perfect.

This is still about Pam Anderson right?

If it is...tell us more.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

Also a big gap in the floorplate-to-wood fit. I never opened the box till I got home, but it's pretty much perfect.

This is still about Pam Anderson right?

If it is...tell us more.

pics man ... its about the pics!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I did some gun trading this weekend and brought home a new Model 70 in 270 win and a Kimber 84 in 257 Roberts.

The fit and finish on both are very nice,both are smooth in function as well.Comparing the new M70 to one about ten years older: The new Model 70 Featherweight is nicer than the Featherweight Classic in 280 that I bought in the mid 1990s. It has nicer wood,a better finished stock,and the action is smoother right out of the box. The trigger pull is much nicer out of the box on the new M70 as well.

The Kimber is also a nice rifle,better than the three M84s that I bought and got rid of in the first couple of years of production.The wood is nicely done,and the action is smooth right out of the box. The trigger is just as good as my new model 70's,both are close to three pounds and are very crisp.

Both Kimber and Winchester seem to have gotten it togeteher well in their latest guns,I have owned a number of Pre 64 M70s that were not as nice in terms of fit and finish,or smoothness of action and quality of trigger as these new guns.

Kudos to Kimber and Winchester.

thanks Doc, the Winchester is a few bucks less I think. Is the action on the Winchester shorter than the Kimber long action?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I, too, am curious as the Kimber vs. Model 70 debate was the final decision in my most recent 30-06 purchase. I went with the Kimber due to the at-the-time better stock, fit, finish, and lighter weight of the Kimber. I am curious to see a new M70 up close to see if my decision remains valid as I have always been a Winchester guy. I would be interested from hearing from any other first-hand impressions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought the biggest difference was inside the bolt itself.
The M-70 has a heavy firing pin and spring whereas the Kimber has a thin little pissant unit that makes them prone to miss fires.
Dont know for sure because I've never owned a Kimber.
Just relaying what I've been told.

Maybe someone who owns both models could post some pictures to compare the bolt guts...???

I like it here. They let me swear.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by POPGUN

The M-70 has a heavy firing pin and spring whereas the Kimber has a thin little pissant unit that makes them prone to miss fires.
Dont know for sure because I've never owned a Kimber.
Just relaying what I've been told.

Well there ya go, must be true!

I've owned five Kimber Montana's and never a firing pin issue, ever.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also have owned five Kimbers (only 2 Montanas) and have never had a misfire or firing pin issue. Still have 4 of them BTW...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You had better tell who said that about Kimbers firing pins and springs that of the five new Kimbers that I have had none of them had any problem at all with what you say.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had an 84 in .308 and it just fell apart in My hands and turned to dust just like they say the Browning A-Bolt does.........Grin..........547.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think that a picture of the two firing pins/springs side-by-side would be worth a thousand words here. I do not have a Kimber to do the picture myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm pretty sure they are the same lenght,both will handle 375H&H size rounds.

The 8400 long and short is pretty close in size to the M70 long and short. The little 84M is much more trim than a M70.

I have had problems with some of the Kimbers in the first couple of years of their production,but I have two now,one 338 mag and one 257 Roberts that are very nice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since I brought up the subject I dont have a problem doing the homework.
Give me a couple weeks to track down an 8400 thats willing to pose in the raw.
My M-70 is already a shameless exibitionist. laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
187 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.