Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't care what you have in your hands. I am impressed with your one hand typing though.

Not a faulty memory at all, nor does Hendershots have one either. I suggest you call them the first chance you have and correct them.

So what stock is it?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Guess I will pass. Thanks guys.

I know for a fact, btw, that there are Dakota marked Matos around. I have seen one.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Do you have proof, deejay will be on your ass if you are going by memory,

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ryan, don't change your mind based on anything I said, my memory could be wrong. In fact I think it might have been a Stevens 200 I was thinking of. Hard to tell, they were so much alike.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Guess I will pass. Thanks guys.

I know for a fact, btw, that there are Dakota marked Matos around. I have seen one.

I don't doubt it, I just tried to be circumspect in saying that another friend mentioned the same thing you did but couldn't call it fact since I haven't seen it myself.

As far as the stock goes, nobody really knows for sure. The very early ones had checkering and I think they were most likely made by McMillan - probably the same ones with Dakota made actions. The later stocks could be made by B&C or HS but since they aren't marked you can't tell for sure. They have cheekpeices which most HS's don't and have thinner wrists than any HS I've ever owned or handled which leads me to think that they are more likely to be B&C's. Just trying to be precise about what you can know for sure and what's merely assumed.............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one for a short time. Mine had a MPI stock and a Remington 700 action.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had two of these and just felt compelled to chime in on the stock issue. Not that I have a dog in this fight, but i do have some facts.

I spoke to both Dakota people and Beretta people, and they both confirmed that the stocks were made by B&C. They were/are essentially built like the Medalist line of stocks, which has the aluminum chassis.

As a side note, I have owned B&C medlaist stocks for other actions, and the overall geometry of the Matos was eerily similar.

Also, though a scant few of the Dakota made models had LW barrels, most had some other cheapy barrel attached.

Lastly, the shilen trigger was made/modified (intentionally)to keep the trigger pull above 4lbs. You would have to send it back to Shilen to have them modify it to get it down around 3lbs.

By the way, mine were later ones produced by Beretta, and were not well assembled or good shooting rifles.

And if you wanted an extra mag, you would have to send the whole thing back to Beretta to have a mag fitted, at significant cost, they would not do it any other way....what a pain in the arse....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by TC1
I had one for a short time. Mine had a MPI stock and a Remington 700 action.

GREAT!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know who made the stock for the one I had, but it was lefthanded, and a singleshot.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a "Beretta enthusiast" and am sometimes very befuddled and bewildered by their 'We've been here for 500 years, so take what you get' attitude and marketing strategies.
I wanted to have a Beretta RIFLE to join my 1201FPG3 shotgun and assorted pistols.
There was so much waiting for, and then controversy when finally marketed, I had to forget the idea entirely!
It was a goat-[bleep] operation and I was bitterly disappointed.
My 'ULTIMATE' rifle would've been the synthetic stocked .375 H&H with the sights and muzzle brake.
Oh, how I wanted that rifle!
Then I find that, as stated above, it had this action and/or that action; the bbl. was made by Beretta, LW, or whomever; the stock was: pick one...; the magazines were 1 to a customer with fitting required for extras.
FORGET THAT $HIT!!! eek

So, I stuck with my Remington 700's and that's my story. grin

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackBart
I have had two of these and just felt compelled to chime in on the stock issue. Not that I have a dog in this fight, but i do have some facts.

I spoke to both Dakota people and Beretta people, and they both confirmed that the stocks were made by B&C. They were/are essentially built like the Medalist line of stocks, which has the aluminum chassis.

As a side note, I have owned B&C medlaist stocks for other actions, and the overall geometry of the Matos was eerily similar.

Also, though a scant few of the Dakota made models had LW barrels, most had some other cheapy barrel attached.

Lastly, the shilen trigger was made/modified (intentionally)to keep the trigger pull above 4lbs. You would have to send it back to Shilen to have them modify it to get it down around 3lbs.

By the way, mine were later ones produced by Beretta, and were not well assembled or good shooting rifles.

And if you wanted an extra mag, you would have to send the whole thing back to Beretta to have a mag fitted, at significant cost, they would not do it any other way....what a pain in the arse....

Thank you for confirming my suspicions that they were B&C Stocks. Some people think that if they have an Aluminum chassis they are HS stocks but it's obviously not so.

I realize that having to send rifles back to have magazines fitted is a PITA but the alternative would be to have people whining about how their expensive rifles don't feed properly. My wood stocked rifle did come with 2 magazines and 2 stocks and the wood stocked rifle did require the mag to be fitted before it would feed properly. Not too difficult to do but it needed it. In the end I think that overall the magazines weren't a good idea they were just trying too hard to have a removeable magazine with a traditional styled floorplate. I think they would have been much better off with a std floorplate.

And although the machining on mine isn't as clean as a Dakota all three of my Mato's are excellent shooters. I would like to collect a couple more in calibers I don't yet have. I think they were very good rifles....................................DJ

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, stay on track, he's running off memory.

For the record when I talked to Beretta and sent my rifle in for a second magazine, the confirmed HS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steelhead, Everyone makes mistakes. Being able to admit a mistake is a sign of maturity, not being able to is a sign of immaturity. Lowering yourself into sarcasm and further insults shows even less maturity.

That's your man less for the day son, let it sink in...............................DJ

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm curious, his memory is fine, mine is flawed?

I got your man lesson.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have serious doubts that you really sent your rifle into Beretta to have a second magazine. I think you just made up your last post because you are contentious and like to argue even when you are shown to be wrong.
I beleive the earlier post because the Mato stocks are unlike any HS stock I've ever handled - which is quite a few. They are near identical in profile to the B&C Medalists. Based on the evidence it's pretty easy which one to beleive. I could still be wrong here but I seriously doubt it.

I do like your Drilling though smile .............................DJ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jeesh guys, maybe there is more here than meets the eye, but there is no reason to take all of this stuff so personally.

Just to clarify though, I am not "working from memory". I spoke to a woman named Paula at Dakota, and think I still have her email where she told me by serial # which actions were made by Dakota as well.

I also spoke to several Beretta people about these as well, and did end up sending the .338 I had in for an extra Mag. I recall the converstaions about these quite well.

I also spoke with Woody Woodall at LW about the barrels to clarify how many barrels they supplied and he was very informative in that regard.

I also called and spoke directly with Shilen people about the triggers on the Mato's.

I do my research as knowing beats guessing........ grin

DJ - you have a good point about the mags being fitted to guarantee feeding, but in practice, my xtra .338 didn't work out so well. It would not reliable feed from the xtra mag. That coupled with the fact that it was relatively inaccurate and only touched on one bolt lug, caused me to sell it off.

I agree though, they had great potential. I just think the execution did not work out so well on Beretta's end when manufacturing was transfered over to them. That said though, if I found a Dakota made one I would probably buy it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The sales mgr. of Dakota Arms (Paulette Kok) sent me the complete serial nos. of the actions and barreled actions they made for Berreta. The serial nos. start with RAA001001 and the last one produced is RAA001203. Some serial nos. in between these numbers were never sent to Berreta. I have a list of when the actions were made,when they were shipped and when they were recieved by Berreta. She told me they stopped shipping actions because of a contract dispute. The dipute was that the word "DAKOTA" was not to be placed anywhere on the action. I never did find out who made the other actions. The original barrels were Lothar Walther and the stocks were made by B&C. I hope this info helps.

Last edited by M70TOM; 12/08/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're Bansners.

I remember one time I sent a Marlin back to be custom fitted for see-thrus. They messed up the squirrel engraved on the stock and replaced the whole rig with a DakMato in .30-30. The stock had a new squirrel on one side and "Bansner" on the other.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine was stocked by ether Tom Shelhammer of Jerry Fisher (memory issue) from a nice blank of cottonwood from a secluded spot the banks of the Cuyama River...................

smile

Happy Holidays to everyone.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
bluedreaux - God bless you, we needed some levity! i'm still laughing!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,363 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.