Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I am thinking about getting a Mossberg 535. I thought I would ask here from the guys who have to fix these things:

What problems/weaknesses have you seen in the Mossberg pump shotguns? Are they inherent to the design, or simply poor execution? Are they easy to fix?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had several, with the 535 being THE worst kicking shotgun or rifle that I have ever shot. The thing weighs not very much, is short, the ones I sold had 21 inch barrels, and with 3.5 inch loads WILL knock your cap off and your fillings loose. Had one fellow shoot at a turkey while sitting in a blind, on a stool. Next thing you know, the blind was tipped over and he was laying on his back looking up. I sold about a dozen for turkey hunting and everyone wanted to trade them back in. The 835 on the other hand, I have one that has killed a bunch of turkeys for me and all the people I guide for. It is totally different to shoot. The main difference is the 835 has the back bored barrel, and has porting, along with weighing more. I wish I could get the thumb safety on my Browning Gold. Spend the extra $ on the 835. Well worth it. The 500 and the 535 are the same gun, except for the chambering. 500 is 3 inch and 535 is 3.5. The 835 is basically a beefed up 500/535. They are dependable guns with few problems. I had the same 500 from my youth, till just a couple years ago. I am 56, and it was used a lot. I bought the 835 when they were first released. Never stuck a nickle into either one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you asked so here is the normal shopping list of mossberg problems that i see yearly from different clients.

1. plastic safety breaks off, cheap to fix.
2. plastic trigger guard breaks, expensive to fix
3. the owner trys to remove the trigger group for cleaning and breaks off the tabs in the front, expensive to fix.
4.the shell stops refuse to remain springs, cheap to fix.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I am thinking about getting a Mossberg 535. I thought I would ask here from the guys who have to fix these things:

What problems/weaknesses have you seen in the Mossberg pump shotguns? Are they inherent to the design, or simply poor execution? Are they easy to fix?
They're a good work-a-day shotgun for the bux.. The main problems I see are worn action arm/shell latch surfaces that wear with use and cause misfeeding issues.. If you're lucky, sometimes the interface surfaces can be 'dressed' to get the firearm back into full function.. If you're NOT lucky, at least the shell latch will need a replacement; many times that plus the action arms need replacing.. Total, about $40-50 bux or so..

shooter42 does make good note of the trigger group items.. As long as you replace the trigger group in the receiver with the action fully closed, it should go in easily.. But BE GENTLE! If it feels like it's binding or resisting, back off, check inside for everything in place before trying again..

If the tabs do break off, there's a procedure to mill a groove, then install an aluminum replacement bar in the plate and fix the problem. That's about $30.. I've done a few over the years..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They will last a very long time if you don't try to do something to them that you know nothing about.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Many thanks for the replies. I've just purchased another rifle so will have to put the shotgun thing on hold until after the first of the year.

I'm used to Ithaca 37s, and I've never had any problem ever with any of the ones I've owned, but I need a beater for duck hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Awful hard to be satisfied with anything else after being spoiled by the 37. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, I agree. The problem is I need a 3" beater gun for ducks, and there are not many Ithacas around that fit that category.

I have one of the few 3" Ithacas produced before they went bankrupt the first time around, but it is the Supreme version, and I've promised it to my oldest son when he's ready.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
810 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.