-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not huge into ML rifles. I'm on in line #3 - a Remington that I seem to like, but haven't yet shot game with one. In the past I've had limited chances as the area I have hunted had no bonus tags and once I rifle shot a deer I was done for the year so ML hunting was only after a missed rifle season. Have a lease this year in an area with plenty of doe tags and looking forward to shooting the ML at game. This year I'll be shooting the 250 grain Hornady bullet in a sabot over 2 50 gr 777 pellets. Shoots well and is plenty for the ranges I'd shoot.

I have done one kit ML - a Cabela's job in percussion .54 cal that was a fun build but haven't fired it yet. Looking at .54 cal conicals over loose 777 powder.

What I'd like to find (and don't know if it exists) is a youth sized traditional muzzleloader in kit form that I could assemble / build for my daughter for future fun. Thinking a scaled down percussion rifle in maybe a .45 cal.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to find such a beast? Thanks in advance for the info.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try these guys http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/Kids%20Squirrel%20Rifle.htm I cut down the stock of a cva bobcat, made a wood buttplate for it, and filled the hollow stock with lead shot and insulation foam spray. Bobcat is plenty accurate with 300gr. TC deerslayers, and 75gr T7. The extra weight calms recoil. Really cheeep, too!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Forgot to mention, when you cut the stock, be careful not to cut out all of the bosses for the buttplate screws....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bender
Try these guys http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/Kids%20Squirrel%20Rifle.htm I cut down the stock of a cva bobcat, made a wood buttplate for it, and filled the hollow stock with lead shot and insulation foam spray. Bobcat is plenty accurate with 300gr. TC deerslayers, and 75gr T7. The extra weight calms recoil. Really cheeep, too!

Ray Franks is a good guy, very helpful. I have held that little ML that you linked in my hands and it's a VERY cool rifle!!!

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
there are several on the market . as has been said , sitting fox makes one , so does pecatonica river but i dont think they list it , you have to ask .
What you want to look for is something in a ladies or youth rifle .
there are also plans you can buy for building just about everything in ladies or youth models ranging from 1/3 scale NW trade guns right on up into Lancaster�s and Rigby rifles

the thing to keep in mind though is that the above are not really kits but parts assemblies .
They have a lot of work to be done . Now you can pay for that work so that the parts drop in like with a production rifle kit . But be advised . Whats called kits from these manufactures are not like those produced by CVA ,Lyman , TC, traditions and such .

past that there are a couple production models . they can be hard to find but if you watch they are out there .
CVA made a Deer stalker and youth hunter . traditions also made a deer stalker and a smaller version of thier so caled hawkens rifle , but i forget the name
Now concerning these rifles . Another one that I do a lot of is the CVA bobcat . They can be found in 45-54 cal ..
Depending on your skill as a wood worker , its very easy to restock these little rifles into very good ladies or youth rifles .
Like this . currently im hoping to be tooled up enough that i can offer replacement stocks and hardware for some models of CVA, traditions and TC's for the very purpose your asking about .
but we are currently looking at a couple months down the road before i can make them available

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
WOW - those look NICE! I'm really in no hurry as this is for my 3 yr old daughter. Since she has a 22, a 20 ga, and a mauser 30-06 I figure she needs a muzzleloader too;). I'd love to be kept in the loop on what you will be offering.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
sure "she" does ;0)

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well - I am a bit of a nut when it comes to building for her. Her Mauser is actually her second deer rifle - she didn't like the Remmy 7-08 I built her so I sold it unfired. I shortened the Mauser stock so I won't be using it but it sure is fun to do these projects! I thought the ML would be more of a wall hanger than anything.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.