-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking at saving-up for a nice scope in the Conquest/Sightron SIIB/ range. Most of my shooting is between 20-60 yards, and rarely would I shoot it out past 75 yards.

How bad does the regular, non-AO scopes 100yard parallax setting effect short-range shooting between 20-60 yards? I would be using around 3-6 power shooting at this range.

The Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32mm scope has just the right magnification range/objective size I want, but I am hesitant due to the parallax setting likely being 100 yards. Will this 100yards parallax setting be un-acceptable for the precision short-range shooting I like?

Should I just settle, and get the Conquest 3-9X40Shotgun, or fixed 4X32mm scope, which are both available with the 50yard parallax option? Or the Sightron SIIB 3-9X36mm with AO? I really don't want to (possibly can't) mount a 40mm objective on my rifle, and I would like a 2-8 range where the POI won't change.

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There is a Conquest 2.5-8X32 at Natchez for $380. They also have a 4X32 for $339. Either should work for you, although I would bet most would suggest you stay with a fixed power. I don't think you would need to go to 8 power at 65 yards. Also something you might want to look at is the Burris Fullfield II in a 6X32 with a Superfine XHr. Thats a nice crosshair. It's a little less than the Conquest. I can't help you too much with the parallax question. All my scopes have an adjustable Objective lens. I shoot at 100- 200 yds. There are a lot of knowledeable guys out there. I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My personal favorite is the Leupold Compact 3x9 with AO

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That sounds like a good deal to me. I just looked through three catalogs and I couldn't find a Leupold Compact. Where did youget yours.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I can only assume that you are strictly target shooting otherwise about any second hand Weaver or Leupold in 2.5X would work fine at such extreme short ranges, that doesn't take much of a scope and standard irons would work for me, at least for hunting..correct me if I am wrong???

IC B2

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They changed the name from "Compact" to "Ultralight."

Look for:
VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...flescopes/vx-ii-3-9x33mm-ultralight-efr/

Bruce

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For a dedicated small game rifle I may very well go with a fixed 6. This rifle will also be used for close-range big game hunting so 6X would be a bit much for that.

No fine cross hairs, as I like to hunt in low-light conditions. To fine a crosshair for low-light shooting is one of the problems I have with the fixed 4X32mm rimfire cheapo I have now.

This is a hunting rifle. Deer,hogs,nutria, predators, rabbits, squirrels. I will be doing a lot of predator hunting with it this winter. Going after gray squirrel with it now using the cheap 4X32mm.

For coyotes and big game I would limit shots to around 50yards tops, but no squirrel or rabbit withing 74-100 yards is safe.

Please keep in mind, the main question here is how the 100 yard parallax setting of most variable power scopes without an A/O is going to affect precision shooting at shorter ranges (20-80 yards). I'd like to avoid an A/O scope for this application if possible.

I am trying to keep the scope as compact as possible, and don't see having more than 8-9X on the top end of magnification.

Precise, head-shot ability on the squirrels at 80 yards, with low power and field of view for closer-in shooting (10-50 yards) like predator calling is what I'm after.

With the low velocity/recoil level of my rifle (860fps), I can clearly watch the impact of the slug at 80 yards thru the scope. I would like the option of a bit higher magnification, to help make the hit on a squirrel's head, and also for watching the impact thru the scope. I will have a video camera mounted to the scope as well when on varmint hunts. It really adds to the whole fun factor.
I also do a whole lot of target shooting, testing out the accuracy of many different slug designs. I need to know how a 100 yards parallax setting will affect this type of shooting. How bad is it at 3-6 power?

Last edited by BUTCHER45; 11/04/08.

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I found a parallax calculation at:
http://yarchive.net/gun/scope/parallax.html

The actual maximum parallax error at the target is:

max error =

0.5 * objective diameter * (range to target-range to focus)
---------------------------------------------------------
range to focus

Any units will do as long as the units for the two ranges are the same and the units for the objective diameter and the error are the same.

Last edited by bcp; 11/04/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 54 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.