Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2549403 11/04/08
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a plug for Hart as an honest company to deal with.

I sent Hart an action to barrel along with a deposit of several hundred dollars, can't remember exact amount. In the interval while waiting for the Hart barreled action I found a good deal on another rifle in the same caliber and bought it. When I called Hart to try and cancel the order I was advised they had made the barrel I wanted but had not attached it to the action. They said they'd send me back the action immediately and return my deposit sometime in the future if someone else wanted my barrel. I didn't like it but couldn't blame them. Don't like being cynical but figured since I'd have no way of knowing if somone bought my barrel I'd never get my deposit. Over a year later I received a check for the full deposit. Someone else had bought my barrel.

I told myself that if I ever had the oppertunity to let people know what kind of company they were to deal with I would. This looks like as good a place as any.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now you will never know what a fine barrel HART makes. That company holds more world records than any other barrel maker. The many firsts that HART has been responsible for over the decades is amazing. I have never got a bad blank from them. Truly the best in a group of the best makers in the world.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought one from them in a different caliber afterward. No question about it's accuracy but kind of a waste of money the way I did it. It was for a deer rifle. It kicked butt off a bench but from field positions I couldn't shoot it enough better than a standard barreled sporter with a good trigger to justify the cost.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They got their money out of the barrel and the interest from your money not a bad deal for them. No matter how good the product , customer service goes a long way when making a purchase from a company. I have one rifle barrelled with a Hart SS Match barrel. 308 Win. Great barrel and very accurate.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
well i live an hour west of hart and i'm thinking of having them barrel a mauser 308 win for me.The gun will be more experiment in load devolpment to me being new to reloading.But prices are cheap enough to do this.Storeis like this makes a person think or have them built by a certain company.Thank you for letting us know about your experience

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had Hart build 3 guns for me using their barrels. All have shot super. One of the guns also has the Hart action, very smooth. They have also done some custom work such as tuning up the actions, squaring receivers and bolt faces, hand lap lugs, intall sako extractors, minor repairs, etc. I also have the luxury of only living 20 miles away. They have always been fair to deal with. I recommend them!

Last edited by Dorm; 11/04/08.

NRA Patron Member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dorm
I have had Hart build 3 guns for me using their barrels. All have shot super. One of the guns also has the Hart action, very smooth. They have also done some custom work such as tuning up the actions, squaring receivers and bolt faces, hand lap lugs, intall sako extractors, minor repairs, etc. I also have the luxury of only living 20 miles away. They have always been fair to deal with. I recommend them!

never relized hart made actions??

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
43shooter, What caliber, contour and length of blank did you order?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hart rifle barrels doesnt make actions
But R.W.Hart does make an action

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The first one, that I didn't get, was a 30-06, #1 contour, 22". The second was .308, the same.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gene270
Hart rifle barrels doesnt make actions
But R.W.Hart does make an action

You are correct that it is R W Hart that makes the actions. It is actually a brother that makes the barrels. The barrels are made in New York and R W Hart is in Nescopeck PA. All of my work has been done in the Nescopeck Hart's and to everyone locally They are just known as Hart's, not R W Hart.

NRA Patron Member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
thanx for the explanation i'll have to check out there actions

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a question, it took them over a year to sell a #1 contour, 22" 30 cal barrel? Would think they might sell a few of those, or a few hundred of those, in a year.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Some clarification>

RW Hart and Son was started by Bob Hart and was taken over by son Wally Hart and then by Bobby Hart (Wally's Son)

Hart Rifle barrels was Charlie Hart and Clyde Hart---PJ Hart took over in early 80's--then it was taken over by Michelle Sutton (pj daughter), her husband Jack Sutton and her brother--Jimmy Hart.
Great bunch of folks--Michelle died August 07 of cancer..

Great Barrels-------------

Last edited by Jim_Borden; 11/07/08.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Jim

Thanks for the info and great to have someone with your knowledge here

Gene

Last edited by gene270; 11/07/08.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Hart Barrels story: I had a brand new rifle that I couldn't get to shoot, no way, no how, over a period of two years of fooling with it. I had myself convinced that a new barrel would do the trick. I live a few hours north of Hart, but happen to know the area where they are located pretty well. (As a matter of fact, just down the road from their shop there was an episode with a girl and a Porsche and we ended up in a cornfield...anyway that was a long time ago, back to riflesl.)I walked in the door and said I'd like to see someone about getting a rifle rebarrelled. Okay, as soon as he got off the phone. We did a little question and answer session about loads and what I'd tried, etc. I think as much as anything it was a gentle attempt to find out just what kind of guy they were dealing with. Next step, pop the barreled action out, check out the bedding, that looks good. Let's bore scope it, yeah, bore lookes good up and down, gauges well. If anything maybe the edge of the crown at the bore could use a little touch up, maybe. Slip in a countersink with a thirty cal pilot, just to make sure it's good. "Why don't you take it home and try some more, I'm pretty sure you don't need a new barrel." To shorten up a long story, it turned out to be the scope (duhhh). Before I left I asked what I owed for the time (between 45 minutes and an hour for someone with a business to run.) No charge. Point is, I was standing there with a rifle, ready to hand it over with about six-hundred bucks cash to get it rebarreled. They could just as easily have taken it, said "We'll call when it's ready," and everybody would have been happy. Where do you think I'm going for my next barrel job?

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok one more question about hart actions.Do they make a left hand action?

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Borden
Some clarification>

RW Hart and Son was started by Bob Hart and was taken over by son Wally Hart and then by Bobby Hart (Wally's Son)

Hart Rifle barrels was Charlie Hart and Clyde Hart---PJ Hart took over in early 80's--then it was taken over by Michelle Sutton (pj daughter), her husband Jack Sutton and her brother--Jimmy Hart.
Great bunch of folks--Michelle died August 07 of cancer..

Great Barrels-------------

Jim,

I didn't know that Michelle passed away. What a great and lovely gal. She and Jack ... well, they're just the finest folks I can imagine.

I knew that Michelle had cancer and the last time I saw her at one of the SHOT Shows, she was looking SUPER. I'm really, really saddened to hear about her passing.

We are diminished.

Steve Timm

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tbear99
ok one more question about hart actions.Do they make a left hand action?

Yes - I have one in 300WSM. They make long and short actions. They are extremely smooth. The basic design kind of resembles a Remington 700. They are push feed, use a plunger type ejector, and a sako extractor. The rifle that I have also has the Hart barrel and is on a Lonewolf stock. Very smooth and accurate. Bad news is the price has gone up quite a bit since I had mine built about 4 years ago.

NRA Patron Member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
thank you for response i'll search the web to see if they have a web maybe with prices

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.