24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I need a couple things for my interarms virginian dragoon.
does anyone know where to get parts? or are there parts out there that will work for this SA pistol?
I need a set of grips, an ejector rod and the housing screw.
also the loading gate spring is too weak to work most of the time and needs to be replaced.
any ideas? its my backup while bear hunting W/ Bow. not a regular shooter, so I don't need to fully restore it.

my thoughts are to loose the ejection assembly all together, get a spring that works on the loading gate and fit some grips to work.
I can remove the cylinder to load and unload, not a big deal.
any ideas? I can't find anything on the web that isn't expensive for what I need.
just looking to restore basic function. it cycles and lines up, but is lacking some parts

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I came across that site, but they don't have the spring for the loading gate (at least from what I saw). the grips were sold out and the ejector rod was 30 bucks. I have the head and spring and housing. I might just re-tap the head and use a welding rod or something, threaded for it and cut to length.
I found a set of imitation ivory grips for 30 bucks that include the screw.
looks don't matter at all.
does anyone have much experience with these guns?
are any of the parts interchangable from other guns?
can another spring be modified to work on the loading gate? thats the most important one

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably get away with a ball point pen spring or flint spring out of a Bic lighter if it will fit in the hole.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I can make the grips for you, but I would need your gun to fit them. Patrick aka Executioner

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The real early Dragoons (early to mid 1970's ) were almost exact copies of the Super Blackhawk, as I recall. you might want to try to fit those parts from an older SBH. Just a suggestion

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad gave me one about a month ago. It's got pachmayer grips but I don't know what size. The thing shoots a mile high so a local gunsmith is raising the front sight.

Z
Z
Here is a site for Virginian Dragoon parts, I also left a Message in the PM file with the site on it.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=154

A little bit of mild lock-tite on the gate spring screw is a good idea since the factory put some kind of thread locker on the screw.
Polishing the sear and hammer notches to a mirror finish is a good idea if you want a super smooth action. I had to make a new trigger/bolt spring since I can't find any for sale. The perfect material for flat springs is a feeler gauge, you can even choose the thickness thereby controlling the tension on the trigger, I have mine set at about 3-1/2 lbs checked at the lower tip of the trigger. The feeler gauge's hole was even just the right size for the spring screw! If it ever wears out, I'll just make a new one. Just make sure when cutting the spring with a cut off wheel on a dremmel, not to heat it up to much and lose the temper, just keep dipping it in water.
I also made new walnut grips since my 44 came with pachmayr grips and came uneven every time I shot it. The secret to the grips not splitting like I understand happened a lot on these guns, is to fiberglass the back side with R/C Airplane(really thin) Fiberglass, but instead of using fiberglass resin, use superglue which is an old trick. Make sure to recess the edges of the back side of the grips so they don't go out of alignment or glue and screw stops to fit in the little half circle near the bottom of the hammer spring. Doing so makes the grips solid after many firing's. I personally don't mind the recoil with wooden grips, even shooting one handed, just hold tight and hang on! Mine is very accurate, I plan on machining a piece of stainless steel in place of the adjustable sights to follow the contours of the top of the frame and screw it on. When I want to shoot long distance, I will be able to put the adjustable sights back on when I want as there will be storage for them inside of the grips so they won't get lost.
By the way mine says "Sic Semper Tyrannis" (Thus always to tyrants) with a star on each side. Virtue holding her spear has her foot on tyranny's chest near his neck who is lying on his back on the ground, Thomas Jefferson said Sic Semper Tyrannis meant "Get your foot off my neck"! Our Founding Fathers had a sense of humor too you know.
Z

Last edited by Z28500; 02/06/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
187 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.