Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lumpia Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have any insight to New Mexico Unit 23? Drew a whitetail tag for that unit, and have never hunted it before. Areas around Mule Creek look promising, but haven't been afforded the opportunity to get out and scout much.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
GB1

Lumpia Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I got to go out and scout a bit last week. Looks to be a promising area, will have to scout some more on the weekend of the 1st. Was going to go out this weekend, but due to unforseen events, I have to work the weekend (again).

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good luck..

I'll be in 30 for the second rifle season in 2 weeks...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not many whitetails in that unit any more, but the NM/AZ border north of Mule Creek is about as good as anywhere. Look at topos and stick to the highest country that you can find. Stay out of the timber and hunt in the grassy mountain country with lots of vertical relief.

In the southern part of the unit, some of the little isolated mountain ranges probably still have a few whitetails, but I haven't been in them in years.

I last hunted that unit about six years ago when the tags were good for either whitetails or mule deer and there just weren't many deer of either kind to be found...Good luck!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L,
I sent you a PM.

RR

IC B2

Lumpia Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input and PM's folks. I'm planning on scouting quite a bit next weekend. Work put in a last minute request that I ended up having to fill, so I got stuck working this weekend.

The mountains you are talking about in the southern part of the zone are the Burro Mountains Area (if we are talking about the same place) and it is off limits for my hunt. Over around Mule Creek looks to be where I'll be. And I'm not a road hunter. I don't own an ATV I can use for hunting, so it appears that my feet will be my medium to good deer country. From the little bit of scouting I have done, it looks like good country, and there's not may white tail tags for either the first or 2nd hunt, so hopefully I won't be grinding elbows with a bunch of other people.

Good luck in 30 there Gmoney.

Last edited by Lumpia; 10/24/08.

N
N
my buddy and I had this same hunt back in sept of this year for Bow. stay near the river we had luck near alma lots of nice places to camp there also.

Lumpia Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, that hunt was a bust. Got up there Friday, hiked down about 4-5 miles into a canyon on opening morning, and jumped out a fork in timber so think that I couldn't see more then about 15-20 yards. That was the most action I saw the entire hunt. Tried the high country, tried the mountains more south, hiked the river, all to see nothing but sign. I saw more mule deer then I could shake a stick at while I was out though. Better luck next year I guess. Now It's time to start prep for the elk hunt in a couple of weeks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.