Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am wondering if anyone knows the torque specs for the action screws on a Howa 1500?

Thanks.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much one tightens guard screws depends on, and, varies with the material of the stock and the screw. If the stock material is easily compressed, or, the guard screw easily stretches (material too soft), then "torque" settings will vary everytime the firearm is reassembled. Stocks such as these require some means to provide stability so that good quality screws can be tightened with some semblance of repeatability every time the gun is taken down and reassembled. Enter Pillars.

Accuracy wise, guns having stocks that incorporate "pillars" can greatly benefit from some sort of uniform "torque" setting. Afterall accuracy is dependent on the ability to repeat every process from the assembly of the firearm into it's stock, the manufacture of the ammunition, to sight picture and trigger squeeze. "You have to make a perfect shot and then clone it". That's where "torque" settings become handy.

Again, how much torque is required? There should be enough, to keep the action from shifting under recoil. Guard screws should be tight. Not eyeball popping tight, but tight. If your rifle stock has pillars, or, some other aluminum type bedding block such as those like HS Precision, then the commonly accepted figure of 60-65 inch pounds seems fine. The object is not so much a specific torque setting, but something that holds the gun together tightly, that can be repeated.

So, my short answer to your question would be... it depends. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply.

I was guessing that it might not be specific, but was looking mainly for some general guidelines.

I bought a spiffy new inch-lb torque wrench and was curious to see the consensus, or something generally accepted.

The specimen in question is a simple, inexpensive, stainless 1500 in a heinously cheap synthetic stock, chambered for the 25-06. It shoots pretty well as it sits. I put a Jard 26oz trigger in it night before last and was thinking, as I put it back in the stock..hmmm, how can I complicate this to incorporate my new torque wrench toy?"

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I believe 40-45 inch pounds is plenty to hold everything together right. Torquing to 65 inch pounds is quoted often, but it can compress areas of the stock, stretch threads and simply isn't necessary.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If it is not bedded in a wood stock 25 inch pounds.

Pillar bedded in a wood stock 35 inch pounds.

Pillar bedded in a syntetic stock 45 inch pounds; however 35 inch pounds might be enough.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,038
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.