Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
There's no forum for it exactly so I'll ask it here: Does anyone make the cool 3 or 4 in 1 waterproof, quiet, convertable parkas or pants in brown, olive or tans? I'm a rifle hunter and have to wear some orange, I have a vest. In Nebraska it can be 75* or 0* during deer season. I travel to hunt to and the weather varies.

Some relaxed fit reinforced knee and seat BDU style pants and a windproof shell with zip in liner and hood in browns, olive or tans would be a great product I'm thinking.

Thanks for the help or comiserations-lol.

Last edited by Planemech; 11/26/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've very little camo that I use for hunting, it just never has turned my crank and since I predominately rifle hunt never felt the need for it.

but my gear has been pieced together from various manufacturers

here's a partial list

River's West

Patagonia

The North Face

Columbia

Cabelas

Helly Hansen

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I wear a lot of stuff from JC Penney. Grey wool, brown and khaki slacks, flannel shirts.
The deer don't care, and neither do I. smile

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Carhartt

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is darn hard to beat Carhartt or similar good canvas clothing - and it's already in one of the best colors possible.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd rather hunt naked than wear cotton in wet weather.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I REFUSE to envision that! eek

I can't disagree, however.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd rather hunt naked than wear cotton in wet weather.

That statement is not outrageous. Your chances of survival are better naked than when wearing wet cotton.

That said, I am still guilty of wearing jeans too frequently, given the weather in which I hunt...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For lightweight wool pants, go to your local thrift store and buy ugly suit pants. You might feel goofy wearing a grey pinstripe to the field, but you can't beat it for the money you'll spend.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kind of pricy, but LL Bean makes a parka with removable liner in green.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...t=sr&feat=outerwearGuide-42677-guide

Hard to beat Filson, if you like traditional stuff. It ain't Gore-Tex but it works, and you can wear it anywhere.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Non-good for really wet weather also, but what the heck.

I'm all for wool/fleece. Fleece especially comes in enough colors that one can easily match their McMillan....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Carhartt

+1

Just shot my buck this weekend in a pair of carhartt bibs @ 20yds with my bow,he had no idea what hit him much less what I was wearing.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You like them Carhartt's in 35 degree rain?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Filson wool pants and shirts when cool to cold, jeans and denim shirt when warm to hot. Good heavy cotton duck, or poplin jacket waterproofed for rainy weather. And a parka and sweaters.

Last edited by blinddog1; 11/26/08.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Filson tin pants. Might as well have the best. They aren't very quiet but they are waterproof and don't pick up burrs like my fleece.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the good Planemech had specified 35 degrees and raining, I would not have said Carhartt. But he didn't. I note in retrospect that he did mention waterproof once, but did not say he'd be hunting in the rain. I supposed that if Carhartt was good enough for the ranchers and construction guys in Utah, it'd be good enough for a Nebraska hunter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep hunting is hunting, but certainly varying degrees of such.

the hunting Steelhead has been doing, can take you far away from transportation and you ARE going to get wet.

smart move to hedge his bets sans cotton.

if the hunting Planemech will be doing pretty much assures him he'll be going to a warm house with a clothes dryer at the end of the day, I'd say Carharts cotton or not will probably serve him well.

Last edited by 1akhunter; 11/26/08.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't mean to poke fun because i've never done their type of mountain hunting...but if some of our Backpack Forum members saw what us Rednecks wear deerhunting they would laugh hard.blue jeans tennis shoes and a jacket blaze orange baseball cap to be legal.Rain? carhartt coveralls and a boggan thinsulate gloves and boots.Hardcore swampkillers? rubber muck boots matching mossyoak and advantage suits 5 lockon stands and 5 climbers these goobers bowhunt MZ hunt and have a spear in case they see a deer in a walmart parkng lot.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
I don't mean to poke fun because i've never done their type of mountain hunting...but if some of our Backpack Forum members saw what us Rednecks wear deerhunting they would laugh hard.blue jeans tennis shoes and a jacket blaze orange baseball cap to be legal.Rain? carhartt coveralls and a boggan thinsulate gloves and boots.Hardcore swampkillers? rubber muck boots matching mossyoak and advantage suits 5 lockon stands and 5 climbers these goobers bowhunt MZ hunt and have a spear in case they see a deer in a walmart parkng lot.

+1 laughing!!!!
and if it rains...a $4.95 alpenflage poncho from Cheaper than Dirt- so you won't get wet on the way back to the truck.....

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 38 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.