Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Blue Dot max load in short fat cases should be about 50% of max...NOT 70%.. that is way hot...

Blue Dot is best used from 20% of max capacity to 50%...

I always start between 30 to 40 % of max capacity...

Max capacity is measured with powder up to the brim, and flush with the case mouth...

If you know what you are doing... short fat cases can be maxed at 60% of capacity loads....

bu either way... work UP from a lower point... like 30 to 40%....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

HR IC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cwlongshot
I like Blue Bot and I have used it for many years.

I was looking thru Quick Load and discovered BD might make a good 350Legend powder.

28g + was a top pressure loading netting 55K with my chosen 200g bullet. I started at 25.5g FIRST shot was so hot the case was swaged into the bolt head and took some doing to remove it. Primer fell Out and case had a noticeable ring where the case was above the bolt recession. Bolt lift was resistant but opened. Rifle is fine.

Once home I pulled every load and checked everything. All where loaded as they should and spot on for powder charges. Mow the one fired coulda been different but the charge was 70 ish precent fill, IIRC. So no bdl chg BUT SOMETHING HAPPENED!!!

I read that BD isnt advisable to load in 41 mag or Light 357 mag???? Maybe what ever causes that recommendation also applies to 350 Legend. Cast & powder coated lead bullet

Juat wanted to mention maybe someone has a answer.

As an aside, I've found Quick Load to do a poor job predicting charges for the 350 Legend. A number of loads for a number of powders would be WAY over pressure if followed, in my rifle anyway, and would do exactly what you described. Definitely need to work up from way below if using Quickload.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Start off with the case maybe 1/3 full, on about any rifle cartridge...work up from there, but never exceed 50% of case capacity unless you are a VERY experienced reloader...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've now got a 350 Legend.. as soon as I can run down some brass, a die set and some bullets, I will test it with Blue Dot, to see what I can find..

its a Savage, but as soon as I play with the Legend, I was going to have the barrel rechambered to a 358 Win, or 35 Remington...

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
Blue Dot max load in short fat cases should be about 50% of max...NOT 70%.. that is way hot...

Blue Dot is best used from 20% of max capacity to 50%...

I always start between 30 to 40 % of max capacity...

Max capacity is measured with powder up to the brim, and flush with the case mouth...

If you know what you are doing... short fat cases can be maxed at 60% of capacity loads....

bu either way... work UP from a lower point... like 30 to 40%....
Just wondering if anyone has done any development with Blue Dot and the 300 AAC BLK for subsonic rounds that he’d be willing to share…or any thoughts on the matter. Bullet weights: 110gr and 150gr jacketed and 200gr cast.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mr. Chongo,

I am leaving town for a month, and heading to the east coast, visiting family in Virginia, friends in Massachusetts.

I don't have a 300 Blk Out, but its still not that hard to start figuring that out.

I'd take a look at the 30 Carbine first , especially in Cast Bullet manuals.

Start off with the 110 grain bulllet first... Compare that with the 300 AAC: https://www.shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/300-aac-blackout/

Find a powder that is within the burn rate of Blue Dot.

there is a bunch of load data with the 150 grainers also..

There should be something close in there... I know I saw Trail Boss load data.

start low and work up...

iI'll check in periodically if I can be of any assistance or advise.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you, sir. I had been thinking about the .30 Carbine similarity. Thanks for supporting that idea. Safe travels!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Where are you at in Vermont MrChongo? Since I'll be in Massachusetts after driving cross country, maybe got time to get together for a cup of coffee or maybe lunch. Wouldn't mind scooting up to VT for a day. Always enjoy meeting other members in my travels.

Pm me is it sounds good to you, if not, I won't take it as rejection... its the campfire after all.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I use Blue Dot and some similar powders for reduced rifle loads. Lately I've been using some Swede Gallery Powder from the wooden bullet loads. If you know what that is, great. If not, don't ask because it doesn't seem to be available any more, anyway.

The main thing I want to add is in regards to loading technique. I have tried the recommended "charge one case with powder, then seat the bullet" and it doesn't work well for me. With repetitive tasks like that I'm prone to zone out and then think, "did I check that last one?"
What works better for me is to charge all the cases, then check them all at once with a light before seating the bullets. That way I don't have to worry that I might have had an attention lapse, because I have a last chance to check them all before sealing them up.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
My favorite reduced load powders: 4198 . SW Heavy Pistol (2400 Accurate #9) , 5744 , SW Buffalo Rifle

SW = Shooters World

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shoot 23.0 gn of blue dot and a 120 sierra pro hunter. Velocity is 2,410fps from a 22" at 50F. 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I've shot 100s of these without any indication of over pressure (stiff bolt lift, excessive headspace, blown primer, flat primer, etc).

While I don't have pressure testing equipment, estimation software predicts 2,418fps and 43k psi. While this is not pressure testing data, the velocity prediction is so close I feel comfortable the pressure is closer to the predicted 43k psi than something overpressure like 70kpsi.

Load one round at a time; charge powder and seat bullet immediately.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
BD was all the rage on AR back in the day.

I’m all for reduced loads but won’t place my face next to something that hasn’t had a manufacturer involved. H4895 or Speer IMR data for me

Last edited by OttoG; 01/25/24. Reason: Memory bad
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OttoG
BD was all the rage on AR back in the day.

I seem to remember there may have been a couple of issues and even our own SF has a significant pressure event? I’ll amend if I misremember

I’m all for reduced loads but won’t place my face next to something that hasn’t had a manufacturer involved. H4895 or Speer IMR data for me

I haven't had an event Otto... so you mis remembered for me..

I've worked up both upper and lower parameters, in any caliber I use it in, and then strictly adhere to those parameters.

I have exceeded max parameters when I was load developing, but that was worked up slowly and beyond what I finally set as maximum.

If people are experienced enough to know how to work up and work down, then lighter loads with Blue Dot or any other powder might get one in trouble. Its not for everybody. But its up to the shorter to figure that one out. They are the ones responsible for their loading techniques and results. No one else.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.