Campfire Ranger
E
Ditto. E

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can import CDs into Imusic on your PC, if you're online at the time the track and albumn names get entered automatically when the song is imported. There a file called Music it all goes into. You can set up other files for each Ipod and click and drag the music from the Music library to your personal file. Then every time you synch the Ipod to your PC any new music loads onto it along with any software updates.

You have to download Imusic from Apple and if you have dialup forget it. You can find a high speed connection, download it, and then burn a CD to get it on your machine. Once you're set up you can take any or all of your CDs and put them on your Ipod for free.

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
22wrf and Gents, Good evening, A study I saw said, that while monitoring hunters, between the adrenalin rush and hauling kills, they saw worse rhythm abnormalities then they were able to elicit from the same individuals in a stress test. Check with your provider prior to starting an 81mg aspirin therapy. If you have a history of bleeds (ulcers, esophageal,stroke), they can be exacerbated by aspirin. I wouldn't screw with Nitro. It can lower your blood pressure to the point you pass out. It is used to treat chest pain in people with a history of angina or heart attacks. It's NOT to be used "recreationally". You should be talking with your provider at your yearly physical, and make sure he understands what you do.
If your "out there", and develop symptoms of a heart attack, take 1 aspirin, sit your ass down and get help. If your having a heart attack, and you try to walk out, you have an excellent chance of dieing. Just hunker down and get help. PLB anyone? Regards,Jim

Last edited by alligator; 02/22/08.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ipods give me a headache and I need to take ibuprofen - that count?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ironbender, Ibuprofen,AKA Motrin, NSAID Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, used for low to medium level pain management. Good for sprains/strains,toothaches and your Ipod induced headache, but be careful,as extended use has been known to cause GI bleeds. :-) Regards, Jim

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry. Was trying to be funny. Forgot what this thread started as. blush

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Dude, Ya didn't see my :-)? Regards, Jim

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Your experiences and what and how you move in the wild is exactly like mine. I also use sweat as a guide to being comfortable and instantly change my activity in the cold. I wear a hankerchief around my neck (cotten) as a wind break and air trapper. Depending on the weather, it comes off and will get tied to my head to absorb sweat. In the spring, summer and early fall I have to put up with sweating somewhat. I live in the high desert with canyons and mountains as terrain to go into.

So often I find myself looking at the ground when walking-hiking and then I remind myself to walk and NOT look at the ground. It is something that quite a few people have a hard--- if not impossible time ---doing. It can get you in trouble with a stumble or two but go slow. Your walking speed has to slow down as we're not as sure footed as a 4 legged creature who never looks down at the ground when meandering.

WRT Ipods or anything else that's used by a companion sport, it makes no difference to me what goes on as long as I don't have to put up with it. I hate radios on camping-hunting trips except to check the weather channel. Now that you guys can plug into ear phones and I don't have to listen to it, GREAT laugh

Yep, I'm from the old school....having read too much of mountain men and the like and what they experienced. And I'm in no way a tough old fart mountain man type who thinks the high tech stuff doesn't have a place. I am too hedonistic and don't like to be uncomfortable but to add to this I like to bivy out and a poncho always goes with me in the fall and winter....for sure. The music I listen to doesn't need batteries.

I've almost covered the whole trail Lewis and Clark made while in Idaho and I vicariously relive those fantastic times. It all started with reading Stephen Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage" and I've got to say it's wonderful reading, IMO. Check it out !!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back to the main topic of this thread.

I found this bag while researching, might be the lightest most compact bag yet. This might be a great emergency bag to have in one's daypack, teamed up with a 6oz Ptarmigan bivy!

Snugpak Travelpak Lite

Or this one: Softie 3 Merlin

MtnHtr

Last edited by Mtn Hunter; 02/23/08.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yeah, Dose anyone have any experience with these? My first impression, never having handled/used one is that, considering they're not down, their small packed size and light weight are too good to be true. That said, I've been proved wrong before, and Kifaru had their jacket made by the same company with the same insulation (?), and Kute raves about his. Dose a good coat translate into great bags, I dunno, but would be interested in opinions. Regards, Jim

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Plenty of reviews here on the Snugpak Softie. I don't think this bag would make a great standalone bag for fall hunting but if dayhunting waay out or with some additional layers it might make an unexpected night out more bearable. This bag has been around awhile and has been thru some refinements over the years.

MtnHtr

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I guess the mind just wanders while surviving a cold, wet night.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mtn Hunter -

Thanks for that link. I've been mulling over a hubba hubba as my primary tent for next (this) year's elk season.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Mtn. Hunter, 1.9 lbs. ? The WM Iroquois I use goes 1 lb., 9 ozs. in the long size and works well as my all around, hunting back pack bag. Stuffs into 6X12 inch stuff sack. I can use a nylon tarp, my OR bivy sack, or a poncho with it for a minimum, light weight camp.
But not for emergency over night stays. Too much to carry and often not needed. I think you need to try out the ensolite pad, w/ bivy sacck or light tarp and the chemical hand warmer method. Try it out in mild weather, then work up to colder weather. I think you'll be surprised how well it works. But, more important, it will give you confidence you can do such a thing and get by if you get caught out over night. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
btt

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Well, this thread comes back to life. I guess Step 1 is always being mentally and physically prepared to spend a night out every time you go into the woods. While I enjoyed "Undaunted Courage," I recommend "Deep Survival " by Gonzales. A big part of surviving any situation is getting and keeping your head "right." I gave a copy of Deep Survival to each of my kids.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bump

NRA Life Member

Why be politically correct, when you can be right!!!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Gents, Good evening, sorry for resurrecting the dead, but I think this thread should be a sticky.
So, Your outside where I live tonight. You have been working hard all day chasing whatever. It's probably around 12 degrees with a steady wind of about 10mph with gusts to 25mph yielding a wind chill in the single digits. Lets say, just for the sake of argument, that you have your Hexamine/flare/lighter pine/birch bark/etc. all nice and dry in your bag, but there isn't anything to burn (everything has been under 10' of water for a year prior to your arrival). In other words, can you survive, nae, be comfortable without a fire? What do you carry/wear that will keep you comfortable/alive when your injured or sick or the circumstances conspire against your finely honed ability at making a fire anywhere/any time?
Not being contrary, I'm interested in your responses. I start with wool undies and move out from there.
Best Regards, Jim

Last edited by alligator; 12/07/08.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks to everyone, especially Woodswalker and Shag for all the time and effort you put into your posts.

Fred

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There may be situations where one just has to keep walking to stay warm.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,343 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.