Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
TV "news" programs are fast becoming "we don't know" programs. First, a "breaking news" announcement, then hours of "we don't know yet."

First a "we know" that a child's body has been found near the Anthonys' Florida home, then hours of "we don't know yet" whether it's little Caylee Anthony's body.

First a "we know" that there was a two-hour conference call linking Governor Blagojevitch with a number of others, then hours of "we don't know yet" who the others were or what they talked about.

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera �

The "news" programs have already morphed into "wonder what'll happen tomorrow" prognostications. Am I the only one here who'd prefer to hear what's known about what's already happened?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are one smart man, Ken. I totally agree. If they don't have all the facts then they don't need to give us half the story. They are so worried they might get scooped by someone else. Heaven forbid!

Sassy

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I always wonder what real news that they're not mentioning while they go on and on, ad nauseam, with "we don't know yet."

I already don't know more than enough to suit me. I don't hanker to not know a lot more.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You are not alone. I want the who, what, where, when, and how. I have given up on TV "news" programs, particularly after the lack of honest reporting on all the election coverage. The "we don't know" programs are not as bad, but are still useless. I still can't figure out why the talking heads are considered experts. TV has become a morass of junk. What passes for humor is really just vulgar and gets laughs more from embarrassment. I miss the old shows like Bob Hope and Red Skelton where the humor really was funny. Of course I was a really, really young boy when they were on TV. :-)

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
by God, their (msm) tactics are ment to hook you then reel you in. They must think the suspence thing is good. Turns me off though.

GOA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It drove me crazy when (as a media spokesman for something), I'd advise the media that there would be a press conference to announce something, they'd all demand to know what. I'd try to patiently explain that announcing it was the purpose of the news conference.

That always ticked them off. They wanted to be able to tell people on tonight's news what we were going to announce the next day.

It ticked them off even more when I asked them what would be the point of us having a news conferences if they were going to make our announcements the day before.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have flat given up on TV news, 99% of it is fluff and postulation. No real HARD news.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I HATE it when they give you several "coming up next" leaders, followed by 4 minutes of commercials, followed by ONE! news story, then the "leaders" all over again. I can only suppose they have a shortage of actual news to fill the time.

I chit you not- there is at least one station locally that does this.

I DON'T CARE "WHAT'S COMING UP NEXT"- JUST GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The weather guys tick me off. Always predicting huge storms 10 days out, when will it quit raining (only rained for 18-24 hours), when will it rain (only sunny the last 4 days), etc.

As a farmer, I need accurate forecasts for the next 3-4 days. I can't get anything but hype for next week and they can't even get today's forecast right.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've noticed that too. It is not News anymore. It's the Evening Speculation. What may,could,might,or might not happen and what that would or would not mean if it did or did not occur.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dale K
The weather guys tick me off. Always predicting huge storms 10 days out, when will it quit raining (only rained for 18-24 hours), when will it rain (only sunny the last 4 days), etc.

As a farmer, I need accurate forecasts for the next 3-4 days. I can't get anything but hype for next week and they can't even get today's forecast right.

Even the Voyd brothers did better.

One said "It's gonna rain tomorrow."

The other said "No, it ain't."

They never missed.

"Good enough" isn't.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
ken. you must have forgotten that news today isn't really news. it is entertainment with a few possible facts. truth isn't and issue. first is always best, so we get opinion over facts from the onset. enjoy..........

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is that why they spend so much on fancy, artsy-fartsy graphics � to persuade us that whatever our lyin' eyes see and our stupid ears hear, they're really giving us news?

"Good enough" isn't.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Formulating opinion, not reporting facts is what modern "news" is all about. The print media are the worst, network broadcast a close second.
While I do read papers, I rarely bother with broadcast news. It's odd, as a kid I used to cringe when the evening news came on, and would find something else to do. Then for many years, I loved the reports. Things have gone full circle, and I now really can't tolerate the grinning idiots.

Jeff
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got permanently hooked on news about 1940 � My Weekly Reader and Current Events. Benjamin Franklin had already inspired me to be a writer or a printer. Keeping-up with the world's goings-on seemed The Thing To Do, and it was a bit of a thrill. The thirst remains, but the thrill is dying.

"Good enough" isn't.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm just curious by nature, and constantly have to figure out how things work. Reading has always been as natural to me as speaking. Writing on the other hand I never had a skill or desire for.

I find it fascinating that Franklin was your motivation. You took your calling seriously, and your writing shows it. Your descriptive, no-nonsense style of writing should be the rule, sadly, it's the exception.

As a middle-schooler I used to get The Weekly Reader. I wonder if they were the same publication?

Jeff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "new"s is too "old" fashioned, anymore.

It's no longer news, it's show biz. And it bends further towards warping human perceptions than reporting with each passing moment...

Drip. Drip. Drip.

It's like Chinese torture.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 12/11/08.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A can't decide if the drip is an enema or a douche.

Jeff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The effect, I think, is same as the morphine drip...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Between the constant "breaking news" announcements, and commercials, coupled with "We don't know yet".....I'm rather sick of the news media. Not to mention, most are left wing loony shows now a days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.