Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Based on the thread that BobinNH started regarding the choice of a Compact pattern stock for a pre-64 Model 70, I offered to develop a photo essay based on some different stocks that I have. I also built a "positioning template" so that anyone could take additional photos and we could have the basis for a valid comparison.

[Linked Image]

The positioning template is two parallel lines 2" apart, and the centerline of bore covers the top one. Three perpendicular lines spaced 1.5" apart are used to show the grip geometry. The rifle is positioned so the trigger lays on the left most perpendicular line. A line 17 3/4" forward of the trigger line is used as the basis for the comparison of forend length. (Don't ask why I didn't use 18".) Photos must be taken as close to vertical as possible, otherwise the apparent drop of the butt will be distorted. And all are for Winchester Model 70 classics, except for the short action, which is push feed. All barrel lengths measured from the front of receiver.

McMillan Echols Legend, long action 24" barrel
[Linked Image]

McMillan Supergrade 24" barrel
[Linked Image]

McMillan Remington Mountain rifle stock, modified for M70 21 1/2" barrel
[Linked Image]

McMillan Compact pattern 22" barrel
[Linked Image]

McMillan Winchester Classic (sorry for the poor focus)
[Linked Image]

Factory tupperware for short M 70 23" barrel
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/P1120025.jpg[/img]

Bridges' pattern for short M 70 23" barrel
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/P1120026.jpg[/img]

McMillan Featherweight 22 3/8" barrel
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/utah708/Featherweight.jpg[/img]
At any rate, it appears that features such as grip shape, forend length, and drop all become much more visible on the positioning template. I encourage others to add photos as well and hope that this will be helpful for people considering buying stocks that they have never had a chance to handle.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you - that is very informative and useful.

Had a Supergrade stock on a Model 70 and while it handled recoil well the grip was a teensy bit too open for me. Comparing that to the very long and open Compact pattern, which is the same design as their Hunter's Edge, has cured me of any desire to ever own one of those.

Can anybody show something like this with a McMillan M70 Featherweight style?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Actually, you asking for the featherweight reminded me that I had one, so I added it into the original post.

Part of the reason for doing it was so that people could compare these photos to stocks that they had, and either liked or didn't like. For me, I like the open grips on things like the compact. This is why it is nice to have choice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Man, you guys have no idea how much anxiety this relieves! I was going to ask utah708 today by pm for the same info on the same rifle stocks as he has used here. I've got a M70 lh Classic in 270 Win that'll be here on the 16th, and McMillans go up 10% on the 1st of January. Now I at least know much more about which one to order. Thanks so much!
My main question was which stocks may look too short for a 22-24" barrel.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, stock fit is so subjective. From the picture the Featherweight definitely has the more closed grip I prefer. Been thinking that a Featherweight with the Edge technology would be the way to go and your pictures help verify that.

Thank you again!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Ok, I went back and added barrel lengths, so you could see how they matched up with different forends. Sorry that the barrels are cut off in some of the photos, but I wasn't keying on that.

I think that the barrel/forend aesthetic is an seldom considered factor when people are building guns. I have put an action with a 21" featherweight barrel in the Legend stock, and it looks funny--the barrel just looks lost in there. the brown stock with red pad has had 1 1/2" cut out of the tip to make it match that barrel better. I also think the foreend on the Win tupperware stock is too long, even with the 23" barrel in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
I think that the barrel/forend aesthetic is an seldom considered factor when people are building guns.

Absolutely! Thanks for your work here -- this is extremely illuminating. What is the difference between the "Bridge" and the "Compact"? And where can I get either in walnut grin?

Dennis

Edited to add (Other than the "Bridge" has the bolt on the correct side of the action whistle...)

Last edited by muledeer; 12/12/08. Reason: addition

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
What I am referring to as the Bridges' is the stock that J. Earl Bridges designed that is prorietary and available through Hill Country. I suspect that a stock duplicator would be willing to run a copy of a fiberglass stock for you so that you can have one in walnut.

I will probably end up selling that stock. I got it for my wife and son, built a dandy .260 Rem using it. But they both like the feel of the tupperware stock better. No accounting for taste.

I knew that doing this essay with almost all LH stocks would perplex the lysdexics.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And the wanlut sluts... grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Dang I looked at wanlut sluts for a long time before I saw anything amiss.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great essay. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Utah: That is very interesting and helpful.Thanks for going to all the trouble to demonstrate how all these stocks compare. That was very nice of you.

The rifles are slick,too! Can I come live with you... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Glad you saw it.

There are not as many guns sitting around as that number of stocks would imply--several stocks are shown with the same barreled action. But sure you can come live with me; it is snow shoveling season, and we're supposed to get a big dump tonight.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We'll buy a plow! grin We have power outages in the region....I have a pile of people coming to stay here tonite!What fun!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7-08,

Fantastic job and concept.

Confirmed a lot of what I thought I knew.

Thanks for all the work in posting this up.

Rick should put this up as a sticky as more info is added.

MM

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think it could be a useful sticky, particularly if it got populated with stocks that I don't have. There are a lot of the Remington, Sako/Tikka variants that ought to be added.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own a Left Hand SS Model 70 Classic in 270 Win with the Pre-64 type action and I'm getting ready to order a McMillian Edge or Featherweight for this rifle. My question the for-end on the featherweight looks very flimsy and i was wondering if the floated barrel would touch if you rested the rifle on bags close to the tip of the for end?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Whether it deflected enough to touch would depend a lot on how much of a gap there was in the inletting. I will say that the stocks I have handled in EDGE construction are stiff as a girder.

Everyone's body shape and preferences are different, but having both, I greatly prefer the Compact/Hunter's EDGE pattern to the featherwieght

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Edge on my 243 Win Montana 99 LH and this rifle has the Model 70 Featherweight contour Pac-Nor Barrel and i love it. I just like the Schnabel Forend tip on the Featherweight McMillian and was wanting to try one just like the Blue Stock in your photo. I also have the Super Grade McMillian on my LH Model 70 in 270 WSM.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between the Echols and the Bridges stocks, I bet the Bridges gives less muzzle flip. To bad they won't sell a inletted M-70 stock. 850.00 is a little to steep for my blood. For a guy that wants to keep the muzzle flip to a minimum these two stocks would be the clear winners.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is thatr because the combs are straighter?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes Sir, and more in line with the bore. Nice looking stock for a rifle that is going to give you a lot of recoil. I put in and order for the next batch of Legends from Echols. I'm glad I didn't see the Bridges first or I would have broke the bank for that stock. 850.00 is to rich for my blood.

I'm glad that the original post picture were made. They should answer a lot of question for folks.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For a 270, I like the compact.If I were gonna do a 300 mag or 375,etc, I like the Echols.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Utah -

That is a great thing that you have done - posting all those pics that is.

I am getting ready to order a swirly mcmillan and was hoping that you might be able to share a closer-up pic of you compact as well as the relative color ratios. I remember seeing it on another thread (couldn"t find it) and thought it was quite sharp. I am considering something very close to what you have, or the infamous "Coyote Bomber" pattern.

FWIW - this will be a Supergrade pattern going on an un-altered pre-64 Model 70 std weight bbl'd action in 30-06.

Thanks again,

Bob

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Here are a couple of pics for you. It is the coyote bomber mix.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like I say, choice of stocks is hugely personal, but I do not care for the forend of the Supergrade. It is a tad bulky (but I have small hands). I come out on their stocks much like BobinNH--compact for lighter guns/smaller barrels, and Echols Legend for 300 Mag and above.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Utah!!!

That is great!

Regarding th swirl combo - that looks like an Olive base with Med Tan and Black mixed in. Is that correct? My understanding from the threads on the Coyote Bomber stocks was that it was 50% Dark Grey, 25% Med Tan, and 25% Black. It looks good either way..tough choice.

Regarding stock pattern, I wholly agree with you on teh Legend, fits me to a tee and works better on larger bbld guns, dare I say "full-sized". I also know what you mean about the squarish forend of the Supergrade. I have larger sized hands, size 8 to 8.5, so I can deal with it okay. That said, I do wish it were rounder, but alas.....

Never handled the compact, but it looks to me like a 24 inch std weight p-64 bbl is going to look a little outsized riding in that forend, would you agree?

I have a $100 coupon burning a hole in my pocket and have to place an order before the Jan 1 10% increase.

Thanks!

Bob

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
The tag off that stock reads 50%olive, 25% black, 25% tan. It was done in 2005, so if they have changed their colors since then, asking for the same ratio might get different results.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BB has the CB mix down. McMillan offers 3 different shades of tan and I've always specified med tan whether going with a grey or olive base.

Great thread Utah, you have some very nice rigs.

Has anyone done the Compact pattern on a S/A Win 70?

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I come out on their stocks much like BobinNH--compact for lighter guns/smaller barrels, and Echols Legend for 300 Mag and above.

For what little my opinion is worth, that's exactly where I land as well.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really excellent, utah708!

The template really adds to the usefulness! I can (for the first time, for many rifles) accurately judge the comb height and slope. Before this, I had to just see how they felt -- now, I can see why some left my eye looking just under the bolt.

This pictures are excellent (and for much more than for M70's too!). I hope others will add to this and use your excellent template!

John

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
thanks for posting that utah!

S
S
Seems like the only difference between the Echols legend and the Supergrade is that the former got the pistolgrip swept somewhat more backwards..? True?

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Schlum--

There are a lot of differences between the Legend and the Supergrade that my limited photography skills cannot convey. First, there is much more detail and crisp lines on the Legend that makes it a more visually interesting stock. Second, the Legend has cast and toe out, which makes it fit better and line up with my eye more readily. Third, the shape of the forend is significantly different. The Legend is quite oval, while the Supergrade is more triangular (wider at the bottom with more distinct corners.)

There are people who would prefer one over the other. I would not presume to tell someone what stock to like. But I spoke with Mark Penrod about a project, and his preference for a stock for a bigger gun is a Legend. If that is not an option, then the Supergrade. That is an opinion that carries a lot of weight with me. Since you are a new poster, in the interest of full disclosure I will tell you that I live in the same town as D'Arcy and consider him a friend. Whether that creates a bias in my views of his stocks is for other people to judge.

My purpose with this thread is not to pimp any one stock. But a lot of people (like John in Sweden) might need to purchase a McMillan without ever handling it. Wait at least 6 months, and then it arrives. Maybe it was what you were dreaming about and hoping for, maybe not. So if the comparisons in this photo essay help people out--particularly now when there is a lot of ordering activity going on because of Rick's sale--then I'm satisfied.

S
S
Thank you Utah708, that was a very through reply!

And yes, as I live in Norway, a photo essay like this is very usefull for us who really dont know how the stock looks like before it arrives in the mail some 6 months after ordering...:)

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
to add to Utah's post, here is a Borden Rimrock, a Brown Precision, and a Sako Classic, all inletted for a pre-64 M70

edit: I'm apparently lousy at directions, I made the forend ref line 17-3/4" from the center vertical line, rather than the left line

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by free_miner; 12/20/08.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Utah708 requested a Kimber on the template:

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I never knew that the Brown Precision has negative drop.

battue--that looks pretty similar to the compact, except for the short forend. How does it seem to you?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Super work here guys! Very helpful!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very close, with the exception of a straighter comb on the Kimber.
However because of scope mounting issues the compact will require a shorter lop.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Looking closer, it does appear that the comb on the Kimber is dead level-zero drop. That makes it more like the Echols and Bridges/HCR stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking closer, it does appear that the comb on the Kimber is dead level-zero drop. That makes it more like the Echols and Bridges/HCR stock.

That's how I see them also. Of course a lot depends on what the rifle is going to be used for and what you are trying to get out of the stock design. But for me and recoil designed to keep the recoil managed the two you named our my two picks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not going to be either. Just ordered a McMillan fwt pattern off of their special page. Swirley-olive, black and gray-for $200. I can adapt.!!!!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Awesome thread, very helpful. Can someone add a M70 in Bansner stock to the template?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great stuff,

For those that missed it.

Life NRA Member

Life SCI Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Utah: Thanks for that great thread;very helpful and based on that I ordered a Compact Edge for my 270FW.I expect the stock any day now wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wish I could find a Rimrock for my 300 Weatherby, pre 64 M70.I always liked the looks and feel of the Rimrock but never got around to them.I understand they are no longer made. frown

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Can't beleive I missed this one the first time around. Wish someone would do a bunch of different 700's too.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Kinda fun to see this get resurrected and have some value for people.

I think it would be great to have as many stocks as we can find put on here--using the same photo template should make all of the photos comparable.

Bob--please let me know what you think of the compact/featherweight combination.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This should be a Sticky!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Bob--please let me know what you think of the compact/featherweight combination.

Utah: I will do that!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should be getting close to my Legend stock, as I ordered it when this thread came out. DArcy Echols said it would be six months, I hate to bug the Man, I ordered it at the end of November and it should be close to being at His shop by now?

This is a great thread for us M-70 lovers. I agree, this should be made a sticky.

This Legend stock is a fine design for recoil control, I surpriced that McMillan didn't try to buy the pattern for normal production?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I ordered my Legend stock from Echols around the same time last year (12/12), it arrived today in perfect condition. Just a hair over five months which is average for McMillan.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here's a picture of an Echols Legend, fresh from the McMillan mold: note that the bolt handle and ejector area are not inlet, purposefully, to allow for different bolt handles to be fitted up. It's a nice touch, but something to keep in mind when ordering the stock.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/23/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread is awesome, very informative thanks guys. I do not want to take away from the subject at hand, M70 stocks. However I'm thinking about ordering a McMillan Edge Sako 75 stock for my .260 rem. With those templates, can anyone put up a factory Sako 75 synthetic short action stock vs a McMillan Sako 75? If so it would be greatly appreciated.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I agree this is sticky worthy!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Wow, what a great post! Thanks for doing all the hard work to put this together.

I have been ogling the Hill Country stock a lot and am more interested after seeing this thread. Does anyone have some shooting time with it and could give me their opinion?

Thanks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
In case you missed this!

Life NRA Member

Life SCI Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Again

Life NRA Member

Life SCI Member
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
BTT

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Utah: Been awhile and don't know if I answered this on another thread,but I like the compact Edge/FW 270 a lot.Used it in Wyoming this year,and the rifle is tied for 1st place in the "favorites" position.Thanks for posting this stuff;it was a big help.
Also,since this thread I added a M70 in 375 with an Echols Legend....sweet!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran across a rare, stainless, left hand model 70 in .338. I didn't like the stock, or the teflon smeared on it, or the deafening device out on the barrel, soooooooo getting a stainless PacNor #3 in .300WM (my fav) along with an Edge stock in olive. I like the Edge pattern, but wish I would have seen this thread first! Thanks for the effort guys,
Don

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Bob--
I had seen elsewhere that you were pleased with the compact. You have the best pair of McMillan stocks for the Winchester 70, in my opinion: the EDGE on a light gun and a Legend on a magnum.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
docdb--

If you still have that .338 takeoff barrel sitting around I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll check with the smith.....

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not to resurrect an old thread, but felt it would be better to try to keep things consolidated vs. creating a new post.

Does anyone have a picture of the High Tech Specialties Bansner stock for the Model 70 they could post following this template?

Thanks, this thread has been very helpful!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the drop like on a Sako Classic?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
note to self

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gehrm
Does anyone have a picture of the High Tech Specialties Bansner stock for the Model 70 they could post following this template

I would like to see this also, if someone has it available.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What a cool thread. Utah, you outdid yourself here. I am buying a mcmillan compact edge for my extreme weather and your template idea is great. When I get it I'll post pics of the rifle with the original B&C stock and the edge for comparison. Old thread but full of very valuable info. Thanks

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here are a few of mine. They arn't custom stocked rifles but if some of you guys like the fit of your original stocks and want to buy one very similar in a mcmillan you can compare these pics to some of the others people have posted.

Pre 64 model 70 std weight 24" barrel:
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 fwt 22" barrel:
[Linked Image]

SC model 70 fwt 308 with 22" barrel:
[Linked Image]

Winchester model 70 Extreme weather long action (30-06) 22" barrel (with B&C stock):
[Linked Image]

Winchester model 70 classic sporter with factory tupperware (Long action) 24" barrel:
[Linked Image]

FN PBR XP 300 wsm with 24" barrel (hogue overmolded stock):
[Linked Image]

One thing about this template is it tells you what you really prefer. My pre 64's fit me like a glove, so what I'll do is match up these profiles with some of the other examples and I'm in business. Thanks again utah708 for providing this great template.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Let's bump this one--it's too useful to die. If anyone has new pics of different styles, it would be useful too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bump it again until it get made into a sticky.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That's a great idea - this thread deserves to be a sticky.

After hunting season, I'll have to make up a template and post the McMillan Winchester Hunter stock that my buddy just received.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We need to add more stocks.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winlite with sporter contour. Ain't quite "lite" at 8lb.9oz, but I like it...
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Winlite with sporter contour. Ain't quite "lite" at 8lb.9oz, but I like it...
[Linked Image]

Slap it on a template so we can see drop at heel/comb, length of grip and forend etc.....

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Slap it on a template so we can see drop at heel/comb, length of grip and forend etc.....

Uh, yeah.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean I actually have to dig the damn thing out?????

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Being a lefty, this thread is even more helpful as we don't get near the inletting and stock choices. I to am interested in seeing the non-Remington "Hunter" stock. I think it's inletted backwards?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jesse, I have a lefty Hunter and others I could post up, I need to dig up some cardboard, gimme a bit.

Yes, this a cool thread.......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This thread needs a breath of fresh air. Up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gehrm

Does anyone have a picture of the High Tech Specialties Bansner stock for the Model 70 they could post following this template?

None on hand right now, so this is as close as I can get... maybe someone with a Bansner on hand will oblige.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BTDT...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTDT...

Well that's not especially helpful grin

Care to pony up a photo or link!?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah sorry Brad. Gotta PMCOTC and go to the PC grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PMCOTC

Huh?

Dude, you gotta speak plainly for us old guys laugh

Just got a smart phone last week... it's not helping grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha, here it is:

[Linked Image]

This is a good thread, utah708 really had a good idea here. I know it's helped me a time or 2 wink... Brad, your red line photo works great for depicting drop at heel and comb, but the template helps to show how long the forend is, and grip angle and length, which is also helpful info. One of the reasons I bought my Bansner is because you have a high opinion of them. I am glad I tried it out and I feel they are a more comfortable stock to shoot off the bench as compared to the Mcmillan hunters compact edge I had on my EW. The parrallel comb really helps mitigate recoil. They are a dang nice stock in IMHO...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Brad, your red line photo works great for depicting drop at heel and comb, but the template helps to show how long the forend is, and grip angle and length, which is also helpful info.

Well yeah, but like I said I don't have one on hand to do the template thing... a straight line down the bore was as good as I could do on the Paint program with old photos. laugh

BSA Thanks for putting that up. I've always wanted to see the Bansner on UT708's excellent stock template. The Bansner ergo's really work well for me and am contemplating another for my M70 EW.

Except for a slightly tighter grip it's quite similar to the Kimber MT which is no surprise:

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've heard, second hand, that Bansner has a Miller (Dave) designed (or influenced) stock also for their model 70 stocks, as an option. Anybody with first hand experience with one?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

New Haven '70. 30'06, 24 inch barrel. Mcmillan Sako Hunter stock. A nice tight grip with a lot of vertical. I like it alot. Points well and great ergos at the bench.

If any one has thoughts comparing this stocks grip to a Winchester/Mcmillan Classic, Feel free.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

New Haven .300WSM, 24 inch barrel with Mcmillan Featherweight stock. More open grip with more horizintal than vertical. A nice trim hunting stock, but lacks at the bench.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for taking the time to make the template. It sure helps me out when I want to compare different stocks.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread should a sticky, one of the most helpful on the Fire� Thanks for starting it utah708!

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
AMEN, Heck I had never seen this topic before, and am looking for a McMillian, Manners or Edge that is the most like the Pacific/Rimrock mod 70 stock. very best

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sticky!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree this is a great resource thus far, thanks to those that took the time to post pictures.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This is such an excellent idea and thread. Thank you all.

The Bell and Carlson posted by BSA1917 Hunter seems like a good design for a general purpose/prone application. I have a .308 MTU contour Bartlien barrel and am considering my stock options. Since I will use a short M700 action I have been leaning to the McMillan M40A-1 but am open to other options.

Any others I should look at?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's too bad that Basner doesn't offer their stock with a cheekpiece for Winchesters (except for pre-64's). Otherwise, I'd be all over them.

Anyone have a Manners MCS-SL that they could put on the template?

Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bump wink good info.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found this thread while deciding what stock to get to replace the bc on my m70 ew. I was pleased to see a m70 ew depicted with the paper template. I very much like the high cheeck weld of the bc ew stock and it had the highest one of any pictured in this discussion. Can anyone recommend a stock pattern from mcmillan that will give me a nice high check weld like the stock bc stock does? I can mount that rifle blind, get consistent check weld, open my eyes and have perfect scope picture.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my M70 Hunter. It is basically the Sako Hunter for the M70. It has a raised Cheek Piece.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by blgoode; 08/23/14.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kman
I found this thread while deciding what stock to get to replace the bc on my m70 ew. I was pleased to see a m70 ew depicted with the paper template. I very much like the high cheeck weld of the bc ew stock and it had the highest one of any pictured in this discussion. Can anyone recommend a stock pattern from mcmillan that will give me a nice high check weld like the stock bc stock does? I can mount that rifle blind, get consistent check weld, open my eyes and have perfect scope picture.

So why replace it?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because its not as stiff as I like and the for end and grip are too thick for my taste.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
kman, you'd probably really like the Bansner (high tech specialties) stock then. I think I posted a pic of the one I had on a 30-06 classic sporter (maybe a few pages back)...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha ha, here it is:

[Linked Image]

This is a good thread, utah708 really had a good idea here. I know it's helped me a time or 2 wink... Brad, your red line photo works great for depicting drop at heel and comb, but the template helps to show how long the forend is, and grip angle and length, which is also helpful info. One of the reasons I bought my Bansner is because you have a high opinion of them. I am glad I tried it out and I feel they are a more comfortable stock to shoot off the bench as compared to the Mcmillan hunters compact edge I had on my EW. The parrallel comb really helps mitigate recoil. They are a dang nice stock in IMHO...

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Brian. That's a great stock design. It's lightweight, stiff and it has great ergos. Like Brad said in an earlier post, it's very similar to the montana stock..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent thread, still don't know why it isn't a sticky..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here are some more to add to the list:

Pre 64 model 70 (1957) 270 fwt with factory 22" tube, Leupold medium ht. DD's, McMillan hunters compact (standard fill) with factory brown paint and 1" red decelerator, 13.5" LOP. Quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles. Handles great and shoots even better:
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt (1956) with factory 22" tube, Leupold low DD's, pre 64 montecarlo pattern, oldstyle coyote bomber swirly, 13.5" LOP, 1" decelerator:
[Linked Image]

Classis sporter 30-06 cerakoted sniper grey, medium Talley lightweights, factory Tupperware painted with stone finish paint (brown), 1" decelerator, 13.5" LOP:
[Linked Image]

2008 Limited edition Model 70: 300 wsm with 24" Extreme Weather tube, erine the gunsmith trigger spring (breaks clean at 2 3/8 pounds), 60/40 blue/white swirly hunters compact (standard fill), 13.5" LOP, 1" decelerator:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Awesome thread!

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You did great on that snag earlier!!!! Let us know how that classic sporter works out for you. I've swapped stocks on mine so many times and ended up going to the factory Tupperware because it just works for me. Good luck with your new rifle..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA,

For some reason, your last photo isn't showing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks gasman. I'll have to check my photobucket. I may have accidentally deleted that pic. Here's the info and pic again:

2008 Limited edition Model 70: 300 wsm with 24" Extreme Weather tube, Talley lightweight lows, erine the gunsmith trigger spring (breaks clean at 2 3/8 pounds), 60/40 blue/white swirly hunters compact (standard fill), 13.5" LOP, 1" decelerator. This rifle is 8 pounds on the nose and balance is superb. It's great for shooting offhand:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
New one goes on the template:

Pre 64 model 70 H&H magnum receiver, 338 win mag, Brown Precision stock:

[Linked Image]

Just trying to keep this thread alive. Should be a sticky!!!!!!!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pretty easy to see why that Brown Precision is so very nice in the recoil department, with the truly high yet straight comb and no dropoff at heel. They are a very nice pattern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent thread, still don't know why it isn't a sticky..

Plus one!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
This is a great thread. I am stuck at a crossroad with my win 70 338 24". Hunters edge, compact edge, Brown Precision...?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
With a 24" barrel and in 338, I think that the Compact edge is going to look small and recoil more than you'd like.

Get a Brown Precision and be happy with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I agree about the compact being out but trying to decide between the Brown Precision and a couple other McMillan patterns

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Model 70 Classic Sporter SG in a McM Edge Compact Classic.

MM

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Is that a 22" barrel? I think that would look nice on my 22" 9.3x62

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smallfry
This is a great thread. I am stuck at a crossroad with my win 70 338 24". Hunters edge, compact edge, Brown Precision...?

I like the Hunters Edge/compact on a smaller sporter with a 22" (have one on a Rem Seven 7mm SAUM and love it on that rifle). I put one on a M70 270WSM with a 24" barrel and didn't like it at all on that rifle - way too slim/short for a 24" full sporter barrel. I have several of the M70 Supergrades, and short of the Echols Legend, I like it better than any others I've seen for a hunting sporter. The forearm is squarish, but it honestly works much better than it looks (great off just about any kind of rest, backpack, etc.).

Shameless plug - I have a couple listed in the classifieds, just trying to slim down the herd of extra stocks some.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have had a Brown Precision on a 22" barreled 270, a couple different mcmillan fwt stocks (two on fwts, one on a std barreled 7 mag), one edge compact on a fwt 280, a supergrade (edge) on a stainless 7 mag and a slimmed down std barreled 270.
Killed a pile of game with that Brown stocked 270 and liked it, a lot. I am currently using a fwt stocked 270 (winlite) that I really like, it will stick around!
I was not crazy about the compact stock or the supergrade, neither was all that comfortable for me and the supergrade felt a bit clubby.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
a 'this is too much great information to lose' bump :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How would you guys compare the Mcmillan Compact and the Bridges? Both seem to have very similar open grips, wondering if the comb on the bridges is a bit higher?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Comb on Bridges is significantly higher. The Compact has a rather low comb actually.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where does one go to find a Bridges pattern stock?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Comb on Bridges is significantly higher. The Compact has a rather low comb actually.

True. But, I found the biggest difference between these two is the grip area. The Compact is slim, yet comfortable and a relatively common shape, while the Bridges (which I really liked as well) is VERY slim from side to side and has a very high top, sloping to the comb. (Hope that makes sense) It definitely has a unique shape to it.

I believe you can still order them from J. Earl Bridges himself or though Hill Country Rifles.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by TDN

True. But, I found the biggest difference between these two is the grip area. The Compact is slim, yet comfortable and a relatively common shape, while the Bridges (which I really liked as well) is VERY slim from side to side and has a very high top, sloping to the comb. (Hope that makes sense) It definitely has a unique shape to it.

I believe you can still order them from J. Earl Bridges himself or though Hill Country Rifles.

I did not like the Bridges pattern for the same reason. Think of the typical grip shape as resembling the radius of the big end of a chicken egg. The Bridges is more like the pointy end, or even tighter. Just didn't feel right in the web of my hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I talked to someone who has one, said the Bridges is tough to shoot well - open grip takes bottom three fingers out of the equation and the top of the bridges is narrow and hard to get the thumb really set firmly on the stock.

Don't know if I explained well but that was his feedback.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, that is about right. It is not quite the right shape in the grip area.

I wish they simply made the Compact pattern with a higher comb and a small cheekpiece. Basically a KS pattern only slightly slimmer dimensions.

The Compact is great if you want to run a stock pack on it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I wish they simply made the Compact pattern with a higher comb and a small cheekpiece. Basically a KS pattern only slightly slimmer dimensions.

I am with you on the Compact/KS pattern!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by patbrennan

I am with you on the Compact/KS pattern!

+2

Some of McMillan's stock patterns seem like they come from the Middle Ages. The Compact is only a 10 year old design, but has a fair bit of drop in the comb for a "modern" design.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted on McMillans Facebook page suggesting from all the input s higher comb is needed in the compact stock.

Reply was - no plans for that at this time.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10generation
I talked to someone who has one, said the Bridges is tough to shoot well - open grip takes bottom three fingers out of the equation and the top of the bridges is narrow and hard to get the thumb really set firmly on the stock.

Don't know if I explained well but that was his feedback.

I think they are right about the top being tough on your thumb/web area, but I certainly would not call it "tough to shoot." For me it was a great stock for off-hand shooting and even worked well prone.

Here is a link for a few pics and a prone shot story.
Bridges Stock Hunting Story Link

Last edited by TDN; 09/29/16.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TTT. Why isn't this a sticky yet???

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
TTT. Why isn't this a sticky yet???

Agreed. This here is a GREAT thread. Full of useful intel!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey, its a sticky now. Excellent!! Great info here. You guys should make a stock template like utah outlined in the op. I did and started another thread a long time ago. That template works for all kinds of stocks. If your template is the same, you can post pics of the stocks you have and use that as a comparison to others. Its a great visual aide.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad Rick made this a sticky finally. It deserves to be one. Now I need to add my pictures, since photobucket sucks the big one....
One of my favorite hunting rifles. m1917 sporter with custom left hand stock:

BACO 300wsm in a hunters compact micky:

Pre 64 model 70 270 fwt in hunters compact:

Winchester model 70 classic 30-06 tupperware:

Pre 64 model 70 30-06 feathweight in pre 64 montecarlo pattern. Swirly is old coyote bomber color:

Pre 64 model 70 308 fwt in hunters compact swirly:

If you guys thing the hunters compact is low at the comb, take a gander at the factory low comb stock:

I say, quit your fn sniveling..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
BSA,

Thanks for resurrecting this great thread and adding your pictures since the switch from photosuckit. My featherweight stock resembles your pre-64 Monte Carlo pattern. I found it interesting that your original featherweight stock has a straight comb and all the drop. Did the featherweights come with different stock options, or were the stocks changed at some point during their production?

Based on what I’m seeing here, I’m thinking a Hunter Compact might be a good choice for my needs. If only there was a good place to try before you buy! Thanks again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 51 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.