Print Thread
Hop To
M
marty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It seems that I've mis-placed my pickled fish recipe. Was wondering if anyone a good one to pass along?

Bob

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had my first bluegill this past summer. I couldn't wait to fry it up along with a mess of cats and black bass. I kept careful track of where it was in fry line. Pampered it all the way. Finally the big moment came. The damned thing tasted like an eucalyptus cough drop. It was the nastiest fish I've ever had. I wonder if it's diet affected the taste.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
M
marty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
musta had a bad diet. they make a good fish fry around here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can search for pickled herring recipes. They should work equally as well for what you want. You may want to search several and compare to get exactly what you think might work best for you. Here's one I picked at random from a pickeling site.

Ingredients:

3 mild herrings
1 large spanish onion sliced
1 tsp. mixed pickling spices
1 lemon sliced or 2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 bay leaves
10 peppercorns or scant 1 tsp. cracked pepper
1 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar and
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions:

Wash herrings, removing head, tail and fins. Soak in cold water to cover for several hours. Combine spices, lemon, bay leaves, peppercorns with water, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to boil, set aside to cool. Slice fish into 1 inch slices. Place in sterilized pickling jar. Add sliced onions and cooled liquid to jar and cover. Shake to mix contents. Set in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Check occasionally to shake and push down onions. Bring up bottom pieces of fish to get top pieces down into liquid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't pickled fish in decades, but that recipe sounds very close to what I used to use. It's delicious, too.

Bad bluegill? Not calling anybody a liar, but I cannot imagine how. Bluegill, crappie and walleye are among the mildest, sweetest fish flesh in the world. It's especially good as sashimi, right at the lake. I've popped many a filet that was still flopping.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bad bluegill? Not calling anybody a liar, but I cannot imagine how.

The rest of the "mess" turned out great. I imagine it must have been on a funky diet. I haven't given up on them. It was a huge bull bluegill that tasted so odd. It was probably a 12oz'er (two fingers thick and 8" long) caught on a 5" Senko weightless/weedless with a 3/0 hook. We don't cross many brim capable of eatin that kind of bait.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe he'd just stolen the bait of the guy down the lake. You know, the guy who baits his hook with Vicks...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by marty
musta had a bad diet. they make a good fish fry around here.

+1 to that. Once or twice a year dad and I'll hit the rock quarry, fill a 5 gallon bucket with em, filet them out and fry them up as fish'n chips for breakfast. Good eats.

M
marty Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
yea that sounds vaguely familiar! i'll give it a try. thanks!!

Bob

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope ut works out. You shouldn't have any trouble bringing up a lot of recipes with a quick search. I haven't been crappie fishing in a coons age. We used to get them in the spring. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by marty
It seems that I've mis-placed my pickled fish recipe. Was wondering if anyone a good one to pass along?

Bob

I don't have a clue what your "misplaced" recipe was? Here is mine. I use pickling spice, white wine vinegar, a little chopped green onion and cold pack for two weeks and try to forget them in the fridge.

This is a free-bee. I save the pickling juice from dill pickels. drop my peice of white fish in these and cold pack right back in the fridge. Two weeks wait is the hard part. By the way this is how I pickel hard boiled eggs.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (007FJ, 7887mm08, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.