Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Having been on here for several years now I know that the collective force here are not enamored with The Browning A-Bolt.

Why is that???

I know no specifics other than they seem to shoot well from those who own them!

BP-B6

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't say, the only rifle I like better is the Tikka.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several people have had small parts breakage. One or two guides have stated it's the model they've had break or seize up on clients more than any other.

Pot metal triggers, trigger guards, etc...

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Speaking only for myself here. I see browning stickers on just about every truck that looks like it might be a hunting truck.

I think that the people that sport these on their trucks think they know something about rifles because they spent a little extra for a shiny rifle that is expensive, and will likely never shoot at a deer with it at over a hundred yards.

That's why I don't. But that's just me.

With the gay buckhead sticker on the truck. And it's made in Japan. It's marketing genius. That's just from where I am though. I perused this on the way to work this morning. The guy had a sticker on his truck that said "nothing kills a deer like a browning". I had to wonder why. But he didn't stop so I could ask him.

I guess the deer knows that the 150 gr. .308 bullet was propelled by a browning. If I told the dude it was made by a French company I would have to prove something.

Anyway, for some reason in south carolina Brownings are to redneck hunters what spinning rims are to our ghetto brothers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GA also. I believe it is a carry over from the heyday of world class quail hunting GA used to have everywhere. Many old toots used sweet 16's and various other Browning shotguns and it carried over.

When I first moved here THE 2 required guns were the Rem 1100 and the Rem 742. The trend toward bolt actions switched #2 to a Browning stainless stalker....

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Don't own an A-Bolt at the moment I have an X-Bolt SS, but I've owned several over the years with no complaints, all were very accurate. On average probably the most accurate out of the box brand I have owned. I think it's like another guy said they do use inferior metals in some parts like the trigger guard and bolt shroud (anodised aluminium)and the made in Japan sticks in some peoples throats, but look at Remington's floor plate's and trigger guards it's made of some kind of pot metal or other, Tikka is a popular rifle on the campfire and deservedly so, from what I have witnessed they are very accurate and for the money and I really stress "for the money" they are hard to beat, but there is much plastic or some kind of poly involved here in the clips and trigger guards not to say this is bad stuff it's just different than old school steel and that's how some people judge the quality of a rifle............547.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have seen one brand new Browning A-bolt explode with factory ammo, and it was matching ammo. I have seen a broken extractor, a failed ejector and a light primer strike. I am not a fan of multipiece bolt, and the trigger design is horrible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eldave
Speaking only for myself here. I see browning stickers on just about every truck that looks like it might be a hunting truck.

I think that the people that sport these on their trucks think they know something about rifles because they spent a little extra for a shiny rifle that is expensive, and will likely never shoot at a deer with it at over a hundred yards.

That's why I don't. But that's just me.

With the gay buckhead sticker on the truck. And it's made in Japan. It's marketing genius. That's just from where I am though. I perused this on the way to work this morning. The guy had a sticker on his truck that said "nothing kills a deer like a browning". I had to wonder why. But he didn't stop so I could ask him.

I guess the deer knows that the 150 gr. .308 bullet was propelled by a browning. If I told the dude it was made by a French company I would have to prove something.

Anyway, for some reason in south carolina Brownings are to redneck hunters what spinning rims are to our ghetto brothers.

ummm what? I don't know anyone who owns a Browning rifle but can name 50 friends and people I've guided who own a Browning shotgun...how do you know the stickers weren't for that?

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can actually say I have first hand experience with this. Well almost...I was in a gun shop, a guy came in,his trigger gaurd was busted off on his new A-bolt. He had some "story" about had it came off. My first impression: dude is full of crap, he busted it and now is making an ass out him self by not being honest. How do you break metal on your gun except by being careless?

But now after reading about similar scenarios here and other places, it's hard not to believe that something may be amiss in their manufacturing process.

That's not to say they aint purdy, shoot tight, and are as smooth as butter.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I moved to GA about a year ago. My god there is Browning rifles everywhere. Several guys in my lease have them. And yes, I'm sick of seeing those stupid Browning deer stickers on the back of trucks in the South. Especially 2 wheel drive trucks (another thing I can't get used to, kinda like a strip club with no music, pretty useless IMO). The funny thing is back home in WA I don't know 1 single person who ones a Browning rifle (don't know anyone who ones 2 wheel drive truck either, hell, only know 1 who ones a 4 wheel drive that ain't lifted). I'm not a big fan of Browning rifles either. That stupid Boss system has to be the uglies thing Ive seen on rifle. And the guys at my lease seem to have trouble making them shoot. If you need a muzzle break on a 7mm, then go buy a 7mm-08 if you can't handle the recoil........

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rich,

I believe that the dislike of the A-Bolt is a holdover from the "Cult of the Big Stick". If you've been around long enough to remember him, you'd likely understand.

For the benefit of the newer folks, Big Stick was a rather charismatic fellow who hung out here for a few years until he got bored with us. He developed a fairly large following in a fairly short time. It wasn't long until it seemed lots of folks wanted to be like him. He did seem to be fairly opinionated. smile The legacy that he left us seems to be the McSwirly stocks, talley lwt mounts, Pac-Nor barrels, Remmy actions, and Leupold scopes with turrets. I believe he single-handedly increased McMIllan's annual sales significantly. (I even have a couple.... blush ) Altho' I do admit that none of mine have skull & crossbones decals on them. smile

It also seems Mr Stick harboured an extreme dislike for Trashco scopes, A-Bolts, and Savage rifles.... amoung other things... smile But I digress....

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All that and their ugly too

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have worked on a few that belonged to friends. I've never owned one and never will. There are just too many better choices.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother has one in .270. It's bolt is ugly, it's stock is shiny and it's heavy. It also shoots lights out but I'll stick with other stuff.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a lot of people, usually kids, who have the Browning logo on their truck window because it looks cool. They do not even own a Browning and probably never will.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i'd advise that you not pay any attention to the "collective force" found here (or anywhere else for that matter). get the gun you want. plenty of people who post here own and are well satisfied with browning rifles. i know some folks who shoot browning rifles in my area and they seem like good americans. remember, this is the web and the squeeky wheel always gets the grease (read as arugmentative responses, outlandish statements, etc.). it is usually not a good idea to listen to a squeeky wheel.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i'd advise that you not pay any attention to the "collective force" found here (or anywhere else for that matter). get the gun you want. plenty of people who post here own and are well satisfied with browning rifles. i know some folks who shoot browning rifles in my area and they seem like good americans. remember, this is the web and the squeeky wheel always gets the grease (read as arugmentative responses, outlandish statements, etc.). it is usually not a good idea to listen to a squeeky wheel.

I am not looking into buying an A-Bolt. And even if I was I buy what I want. I have 2 BLR's and they seem to run hot and cold here...........some like 'em some don't!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me its the Cheesy Gold Plate trigger and the Cheesy Gold deer head logo on the trigger guard. If they ever put a just plain Blued trigger and leave the gold off the logo, I might buy one. They do seem to sell thou, for the life of me why? I don't know. Now the Browning Hi Powers of the 1960's are a different story, unless you got stuck with a salt wood stock. Cabelas had a 300 H+H in a Browning FN actioned High Power. Should have bought it. Didn't stick around long even in a down ecomomy.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, it is the rifle send to the gunsmith more then any other rifle for breakdowns.
The most frequent one is extractor breakage and malfunctioning bolt stop, meaning when you pull the bolt back she comes right out of the receiver.
Trigger is poor.
The bolt shroud is some sort of potmetal casting.
The A-Bolt is made for the guy that shoots may be one box/year.
It is NOT made for the person that shoots a lot.
Their accuracy out of the box is usually surprisingly good.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.