Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
I might be wrong here but Browning was the first to offer a production bolt gun with a synthetic stock named the Composite Stalker back in '89.

Browning definately was ONE of the first to offer a synthetic stock on a production rifle, but I believe the very first was Weatherby, with their Fibermark model in 1985. I bought a Fibermark in .300 Weatherby in 1986 and hunted it hard for quite a few years. Great rifle.

I, too, am puzzled as to why the Browning rifles don't seem to get more respect. I've never actually owned one, but I've handled and shot a few and they seem fairly well designed and put together.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
BP-B6

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Their triggers are something special to behold.

Last edited by Steelhead; 12/21/08.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've never used an A-Bort, but I was tempted to try a Browning Ti.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an A-Bolt in 280 Rem probably 10 years ago or so. It shot alright, but wasn't anything special. I can tell you that here in Alaska, the A-Bolt has single handidly taken credit for more field failures than any other brand by word of mouth, and as I recall its the triggers that usually are to blame. I personally dont like all the cheap looking bling on em, but thats just me.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Just got back from the range and My X-Bolt SS 30.06 shot Remington Core-Lokt 150gr PSP factory loads into 4 shot groups that measured 5/8" and 3/4" at 100 paces (only shot two groups and it got too dark) but that's damn fine accuracy out of a factory rifle shooting cheap factory loads, it's really about as accurate a rifle as I have ever owned,and believe me I've owned many models of just about every brand out there including Sako, Remington, Weatherby, Ruger, and Winchester. ( never a Tikka, I'm sure they are good rifles but too much plastic for my taste) The new trigger on the X-Bolt feels good but I've not looked into the mechanics of it yet, I know it's very similar to the new Winchester Mod 70 design so someone that knows more than I can tell me if this new trigger system is junk. I also agree with some of the guy's about the cheap metal used in some of it's parts, and You can also throw Remington in that boat (pot metal floor plates and trigger guards)and I especially hate the plastic parts on some other makes, that said you have to admit these Browning's are dang accurate rascals and daddy loves accuracy..............547.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tested an A-Bolt .270 in 1986 when they first appeared. It wasn't as classically pretty as some guns, but it shot very well and was pretty darn light. (You can buy A-Bolts in every weight from VERY light to pretty heavy.) My wife had been hunting for a coupleof years then, deer and antelope with my old Rem. 722 in .257 Roberts, but wanted to start hunting elk. She shot the A-Bolt and liked it, everything from the trigger to the light weight, so we bought it.

I worked up a couple loads that shot to the same place with the 130 Hornady and 150 Nosler Partition, and both loads shot very well too. She went on to hunt with the A-Bolt for five more seasons, at one time having a string of 10 1-shot kills on a row. These were mostly pronghorn, whitetail and mule deer, but included a couple of eating elk and a Shiras moose. One of the pronghorns was about 430 yards away, and one of the mule deer was the biggest buck she's ever killed. She quit using the A-Bolt only when she got a NULA .270, but we never had any trouble with the A-Bolt.

I have shot a few others over the years and all were very accurate, probably because (like some other accurate out-of-the-box bolt rifles such as Savage, Tikka and Sako) the barrel is free-floated. The one X-Bolt I've hunted with was also extremely accurate. I'm not crazy about some of the pot-metal parts, but Eileen obviously hunted her A-Bolt pretty hard and didn't have any problems.

There may be better trigger designs but the A-Bolt's is easier to adjust and smooth up (if need be) than many others. I have tuned up A-Bolt triggers for some friends and they were all happy.

They may be made in Japan but a lot of stuff is, and as somebody else pointed out not all American-made firearms are superb examples of manufacturing.

I probably wouldn't buy an A-Bolt to use as a wilderness rifle, but for most hunting they seem to work fine, and shoot great right out of the box.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one I have had personal experience with was bought new as a gift for a relative. Even after glass bedding etc it would never shoot better than softball sized groups.

I have owned two BLR's and both were fine in my book. Only reason I sold the 308 was I have a pre 64 Winchester 88. Dad does too so we can interchange ammo, clips etc as both are using my reloads. I liked the feel of the overall gun and the workings of the action better in the BLR.

Anyone seen or heard anything about the new the new X-Bolts?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As all here I may have more guns than required. About 1/3 of my rifles are brownings. One of my tests is which one do you want to grab leaving the cabin. More than not - it is my micro hunter 270wsm a-bolt or my 7-08 BLR. Both are far under MOA. At the end of the season I wish I would of hunted with some of my pre 64's or the custom accurized jobs I spent the big money on - but for some reason I go to the dang brownings. I still like them but grab the one you like going out the door. The important thing is git out the door.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son shoots a Browning Micro-Medallion in 7-08 that I handload for. Using the 120gr TSX or 120gr NBT, it will shoot 1" or better at 100 yard all day long. We do not hunt wilderness areas, just southeast farmland/swamps, and he loves it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Something I have noticed is that most gunshops you go to
have new Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Weatherbys, etc.
But dont carry Browning, Savage, and Stevens.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The worst factory trigger I ever pulled was on one of the early A Bolt Stainless Stalkers in .338. Factory set it must have pulled close to 10 pounds. The first time I shot it I honestly stopped and rechecked the safety to make sure it wasnt still engaged.

The only factory trigger that has ever scared the hell out me was on a .284 Micro Medallion.
This one went south on me while shooting off a bench rest. Two rounds into a three shot group it refused to fire.
I slacked off and started to reach back to cycle the bolt and BLAMMO it discharges downrange.
I pulled this 6 month old gem apart at the bench,took a quick look at what they called a trigger and after dropping 125.00 in repairs at the gunsmiths sold that little POS at a loss at the next gunshow.

Someone posted today that Remington 700's have bad triggers.
They should enjoy a Browning A Bolt.

That said I've got friends who swear by theirs after having the trigger work done and havent had a bit of trouble with them so maybe it's "luck of the draw."

I like it here. They let me swear.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Rich,

I believe that the dislike of the A-Bolt is a holdover from the "Cult of the Big Stick". If you've been around long enough to remember him, you'd likely understand.

For the benefit of the newer folks, Big Stick was a rather charismatic fellow who hung out here for a few years until he got bored with us. He developed a fairly large following in a fairly short time. ..........
It also seems Mr Stick harboured an extreme dislike for Trashco scopes, A-Bolts, and Savage rifles.... amoung other things... smile But I digress....

Grasshopper,
Thanks for sharing your insight on this issue. Are you SURE that this "Big Stick" isn't still posting here on occasion under another alias? I think he's still around....unfortunately.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
hi all. i have never been able to understand the hate for the browning abolt. i had one in 270 win. it was my first big game rifle. it had the boss brake on it and a would shoot fed 130 gr. nosler ballistic tips in 1/2-3/4 of inch all day long. i thought the wood was nice, although the stock scratched easy and the trigger could be tuned to 3 lbs. it was lightweight and a pleasure to carry. as often happens, it was traded for another "better" idea. i still wished i had that one back! i never experienced a single problem with it. i also was fond of the detatchable mag. i would however have replaced the boss with the cr brake if it had been available. -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never cared for the A-Bolt design and wouldn't consider purchasing one - too many other options I DO like.

That said, I have a Brwoning B92 carbine in .44 Mag which I think very highly of as well as the one of the best .22 semi's ever made, a Browning .22LR Semi-Auto Take-Down.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Howa (Japan) made Mark Vs are the best that were ever made in my opinion.

And the Browning Auto 5 is my bestest, most favorite shotgun to date!

I got a Rem 700 ADL 30'06 when I turned 14 and my buddy got an A-bolt. I was so jealous, but I killed as many deer as he did over the years of my youth, if not more, so I didn't covet it long! Just never got one...no real reason why. I suspect they have killed plenty O game since their birth!

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Composite Stalker in .270 back in 1989 .I wanted the Stainless Stalker but couldn't find one Shot the barrel out of that gun over a 5 year period. Accuracy was good no issues or problems.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have owned one; a 223 that was very accurate.Seen many at the range,and all have shot very well.But to me, they seem tinny,like they are constructed of old coke cans and spare parts.I just don't like them,regardless of their virtues.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If you go through enough rifles of any brand you will run into some dogs, the worst luck I've experienced has been with Winchester model 70's I have seen some mighty shoddy work on model 70's especially the later rifles made in New Haven, and I love the feel of Weatherby's MK V Ultralight but after more tries than I care to remember I never did find one that would shoot, that said I'm sure you can line dozens of guy's up on this site that will sing the praises of the mighty Model 70 and the Weatherby MK V, My point is just like anything else whether cars or TVs or gun's you will find some that are fantastic and others that are junk.........547.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't buy an A-bolt but I don't have a problem recommending them to customers. About 1000 guns a year come in my door for repairs or custom work. I really don't see many A-bolts with issues. There triggers on average are way better out of the box than the big 3. To me they are like the Savage and Tikka, to many small parts and plastic pieces but just might shoot on par with a pricy big name custom rig.

I really don't have a problem with "Made in Japan", it is almost 2009. I don't like to see it on my Browning O/U for upland work but on other rifles like 1886's and 1892's it doesn't make me flinch. The hot azz loads these fine guns digest without a hiccup do however.

As far as the Browning sticker on my truck goes, you try peeling it off! My respect for Browning's genius is more than skin deep.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wvhunter
Made in JAPAN!!!!!

You mean as in some Winchester, Weatherby, and other products??? Made in Japan - suggesting that it is not AS GOOD as made in America product? Where do you think most of the stuff you buy at WalMart is made - CHINA!!!!!! I'm sorry some jobs have been exported - but I think the MUCH more serious problem is workers that have been IMPORTED - 20,000,000 , that 20 million people who've snuck under the fence. The Dems don't seem to be too concerned about that - but a million or two jobs shipped overseas - shame on the Republicans??? Give me a break!

I seem to be hearing alot of complaints about T/C rifles lately - and they are made where???

Last edited by Kemosabe; 12/21/08.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.